The Student Room Group

Graduate Biomedical Science

Hi, I finished my degree in Biomedical Science last year at uni but the course I did was not accredited by the IBMS. I didn't think I wanted to become a BMS until the 2nd year so was too late to change.

What I want to know is how is the best way of going about doing the top-up course? I'm trying to get some sort of trainee position but with no luck at all. Should I just email course directors at uni's to ask if they allow top-up students instead?

P.S. I've already recieved a letter from the IBMS telling me what units I have to take.
Reply 1
Hi,

It might be a good idea to start by contacting universities to ask them what their policy is?

What modules did the IBMS say that you need to top up? If it is 6 or less then (in theory) you should be able to take these in 1 year, but I'm not really sure how it works.

Best to go onto each univeristy's departmental website and see if they list the modules taken in their biomed course.

Sorry I can't be more helpful - I've never heard of a case like yours! :smile:
chrislee88
Hi, I finished my degree in Biomedical Science last year at uni but the course I did was not accredited by the IBMS. I didn't think I wanted to become a BMS until the 2nd year so was too late to change.

What I want to know is how is the best way of going about doing the top-up course? I'm trying to get some sort of trainee position but with no luck at all. Should I just email course directors at uni's to ask if they allow top-up students instead?

P.S. I've already recieved a letter from the IBMS telling me what units I have to take.

I'm just starting the top-up degree in Biomed on Tuesday except I didn't do Biomed to start with. I sent whatever documents were asked for to the IBMS (sounds like you already have) and they sent me a list of accredited unis and the list of modules I'd have to do. You probably already know these. I just emailed the head of the Biomed department at an accredited uni and sent her the form that the IBMS had sent me. You could probably just email the head with the list of modules you have to do and see what they say.

Latest

Trending

Trending