Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I finished my degree in Biomedical Science last year at uni but the course I did was not accredited by the IBMS. I didn't think I wanted to become a BMS until the 2nd year so was too late to change.

What I want to know is how is the best way of going about doing the top-up course? I'm trying to get some sort of trainee position but with no luck at all. Should I just email course directors at uni's to ask if they allow top-up students instead?

P.S. I've already recieved a letter from the IBMS telling me what units I have to take.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

It might be a good idea to start by contacting universities to ask them what their policy is?

What modules did the IBMS say that you need to top up? If it is 6 or less then (in theory) you should be able to take these in 1 year, but I'm not really sure how it works.

Best to go onto each univeristy's departmental website and see if they list the modules taken in their biomed course.

Sorry I can't be more helpful - I've never heard of a case like yours!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrislee88)
    Hi, I finished my degree in Biomedical Science last year at uni but the course I did was not accredited by the IBMS. I didn't think I wanted to become a BMS until the 2nd year so was too late to change.

What I want to know is how is the best way of going about doing the top-up course? I'm trying to get some sort of trainee position but with no luck at all. Should I just email course directors at uni's to ask if they allow top-up students instead?

P.S. I've already recieved a letter from the IBMS telling me what units I have to take.
    I'm just starting the top-up degree in Biomed on Tuesday except I didn't do Biomed to start with. I sent whatever documents were asked for to the IBMS (sounds like you already have) and they sent me a list of accredited unis and the list of modules I'd have to do. You probably already know these. I just emailed the head of the Biomed department at an accredited uni and sent her the form that the IBMS had sent me. You could probably just email the head with the list of modules you have to do and see what they say.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.