Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tesco store ban shoppers who wear pyjamas Watch

• View Poll Results: Would you ever wear pyjamas to the shops?
    Yeah I've done it before!
    23.13%
    Haven't done it yet, but I probably will some day.
    23.13%
    Have done before, but never again.
    2.04%
    No not ever!
    51.70%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keepoffthelawn)
    but how ******* difficult would it be to throw on some jeans instead? really, the simplicity of people amazes me.
    What happens if you wore your jeans to bed, then they are your pyjamas

What's wrong with wearing a pair of comfy perfectly decent pyjama bottoms whilst buying your morning newspaper? Why the need to make the distinction between cotton trousers and denim trousers :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Why is this such a big deal?

(Original post by ormaybeitsjustnarcissism)
    Haha aint got no poetry skills, those are song lyrics (or was that you being spurious again?) Admittedly I do English but I'm not good at it at all.
    Aha you're quick to catch on :p:

I've never been good at English, but i've always been good at writing English, if that makes sense. But only about stuff i care about, which the English courses were obviously devoid of :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    Aha you're quick to catch on :p:

I've never been good at English, but i've always been good at writing English, if that makes sense. But only about stuff i care about, which the English courses were obviously devoid of :p:
    Shhh leave me alone, I've only had 3 hours sleep :o:

Hahaha yeah. In some ways it's better not to care though. Got an E on my a-level exam for being 'too chatty'

(Original post by ormaybeitsjustnarcissism)
    Shhh leave me alone, I've only had 3 hours sleep :o:

Hahaha yeah. In some ways it's better not to care though. Got an E on my a-level exam for being 'too chatty'
    Aww :console: Maybe you should head to bed then? :p:

Aha! My essays are in general very loose grand almost narrative pieces, very chatty and personal but coming together at the end in a conclusion that combines all the various strands to make the final point :p: But if i did English i'd probably get an E too for that same reason

What else do you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    Aww :console: Maybe you should head to bed then? :p:

Aha! My essays are in general very loose grand almost narrative pieces, very chatty and personal but coming together at the end in a conclusion that combines all the various strands to make the final point :p: But if i did English i'd probably get an E too for that same reason

What else do you do?
    Haha can't be bothered. Supposed to read this play for tomorrow and I want to watch some iplayer/40D too.

Ahh that sounds fun to read! If suspiciously rehearsed :p: So what do you do then?

I'm in Uni, it's English Literature & Linguistics :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Why can't people take the time to put on some clothes, are they really that lazy?

ReputationRep:
    LOL! I have to try that one day. One time we went in and it was in Nottingham and it was near a pub where a party was so we were all dresed up, and there was some of us from Newcastle, some Scottish people etc etc and they wouldn't let half of the people in. We weren't even that drunk. It was well funny though. :P I'm totally going pj shopping when I go to uni.

Tbh though people must do it a lot. I know people at my college have been in wearing pj's before for charity, or just for the crack really. It's silly banning them - pj tops, vest top, long sleeved top etc? Why be banned? And pants are just like sweatpants, or shorts.

ReputationRep:
    Some people sleep naked though...so maybe it's targeting those people? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Think this has been blown way out of proportion, but in my opinion, fair enough to Tesco if they want to adopt that policy. If you go to work, you are expected to dress sensibly, if you go to a restaurant, you are expected to dress sensibly, if you go to a club you are expected to dress sensibly, this should be no different for a supermarket if they wish to conduct a dress code.

The woman in this Daily Mail article - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ress-code.html is your everyday typical slob, no pride, no self respect, doesn't give a damn on what she wears anywhere. She says she doesn't have time to dress, it takes 1 minute to put a top and jeans on. Bet she has time to watch Jeremy Kyle though.

ReputationRep:
    How stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 94_confessions)
    This is unbelievably jokes. Political correctness gone mad .
    I hope you weren't being serious about that because I could probably happily stab the next person who uses that overused phrase. :woo: :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    Hmm, so I suppose shuffling in in a sleeping bag is also out of the question...

Seriously though, in the summer I wander around barefoot all the time. Okay so it's a little weird, but sainsburys have never had a problem with it...
    Wow, your feet must be as leathery as Ghandi's flip-flop

I would be worried about accidentily standing on a heroin needle or something.
    :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Until we can go and pick up our groceries in the buff, this country will never have true freedom.

ReputationRep:
    but what would students do :|
    especially on 1am visits :O
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnthebaptist1)
    You must work for Asda.
    I'm slapping my arse pocket to hear the change jangle right now
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Why would you go to the shops without any shoes on? :giggle:
    I reckon if I went to the shops in my pyjamas right now noone would notice...I wear a normal top on the top half anyway...and where do you draw the line between pyjama bottoms and normal trousers? I remember one summer m&s did some shorts that noone could work out whether they were sleep wear or summer wear :mmm: my dad bought them as pyjamas...but they were quite popular amongst people down the beach aswell :yep:
    edit: 91% of tsr users who have been to the shops in their pyjamas would do it again :mmm: tesco's are going to have a rebellion on their hands...

ReputationRep:
    Good, I glad they have banned it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBC)
    Ms Carmody, who spoke after spending £102 in the supermarket, added: "If you're allowed to wear jogging bottoms, why aren't you allowed to wear pyjamas in there, that's what I don't understand?

"I think it's stupid really not being allowed in the supermarket with pyjamas on.

"It's not as if they're going to fall down or anything like that. They should be happy because you're going to spend all that money."

She went on: "It's not as if you're making a show. If anything, they should be happy because you're spending your money in their shop, but obviously they're not, because you're not allowed in with pyjamas.

"So they're going to lose their custom, with people going to other shops to buy stuff and they're allowed in with their pyjamas on."
    Clearly an intellectual heavyweight here telling Tesco how it is! :erm:

ReputationRep:
    The people where I live often go to the shops in their nightwear. I think it's because their lives are so empty and poor and they don't see any point getting dressed because they'd be getting into pink tracksuits anyway.

I don't mind it. The pyjamas are often more stylish or forgiveable than their normal clothes, and someone in pyjamas is much less likely to throw obscenities/insults at you for how you look.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.