Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Whilst in school, I wrote a short story that my teacher told me I should turn into a novel...I was flattered but never really took him seriously at the time, as I'm only 18 and didn't really think I was capable. However I'm now at uni, and after being accepted into my desired English and writing course, I've been asked to write my first story. The strange thing is, that a year on from writing that story I've been thinking more and more about the main character again, and even wrote the next chapter. Obviously I'm thinking I need to come up with a unique idea for a new story now that I'm at uni, but whenever I'm trying to develop a new idea I can't get her out of my head! I feel like I need to tell the rest but seeing as I already submitted the story in school, I feel it would be cheating to submit the same story again at uni? I couldn't even write the next part of the story and send that in instead, because it wouldn't make sense without the background information from the first story, if that makes sense?! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't think it was cheating, you can't plagiarize your own work.

ReputationRep:
    Can you not use this character you've developed, but in another setting? Another time scene perhaps.

You could even hint to what's happened in the past to this character?

Can I read it? :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jambre)
    you can't plagiarize your own work.
    Yes, you can.

Although, OP, if this story has never been electronically submitted, I doubt they'd know. The only thing is, they must have had students doing this before and have some system of coping with it.

That system may simply be allowing it. Realistically, would they ever know?

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you use the first part of you story but add the second chapter onto it. This would be new and with the background information

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.