The Student Room Group

Is my boyfriend a snob?

Hi everyone,

Posting anon because I'm not sure if he uses this site.

I'm starting to think my boyfriend is a bit of a snob. We've been going out 3 years and met at uni. He comes from a rich family with a huge house in London. His parents inherited a lot of money from a relative who died so they are quite wealthy. Although I wouldn't consider my family 'poor', we don't have loads of money. We live in a decent house and have a nice lifestyle but we don't have the money to go on a lot of holidays abroad or buy really expensive cars - like my boyfriend's family.

Recently it's becoming more and more obvious that he seems to think he's better than me. Every time he visits my house, he makes a negative comment. There was some wallpaper missing from my hall where my parents were decorating and he make a remark about that. He won't stay at my house because he says it's 'too small' and after having a shower at mine, he went on for ages about how his shower cost thousands of pounds and how people think he 'lives in a mansion'. It made my mum a bit uncomfortable.

Last week, he started going through some stuff in my room and pulled out a picture that was propped up against the wall. As it's an exterior wall, the heat from the house mixes with the cold of the wall and causes a lot of condensation there. There was a bit of mildew/mould-type stuff on the side of the picture and he went crazy about it. He started shouting about mould and how he "couldn't believe he'd touched it" then ran off and washed his hands. I felt so embarrassed because I didn't know about it until then and I've been getting rid of it this week.

Every time I've spoken to him since then, he's mentioned the mould and makes a big deal of it. I'm worried he's spread the rumour around and gossiped about me with his friends and family, as if I'm dirty or something.

I'm starting to not want to see him anymore because of the way he acts. It's like he bases the worth of everything and everyone on money and material things. Do you think he over reacted about the mould? It's made me feel really bad and humiliated and he just won't let it go.

Scroll to see replies

Yes, of course he over reacted about the mould. Getting some damp or mildew is quite common in houses, and it's easily removed and harmless. Don't let it get you down OP - maybe next time he brings it up take it in a jokey way, or throw it back at him and make a joke at his expense? Just to get him to let it go and stop bringing it up, as I know how annoying it is when people take something too far and just wont shut up about something that's embarrassing to you.

He's a snob, yes. Have you let him know how you feel? If you've been together 3 years, I think you should, as if it continues like this it'll just continue to make you feel awful. Just because his parents happen to have come into a lot of money, it does not make them better than you, and he has no right to make you feel like this. Bring it up, and then decide what you'd like to do by how he reacts.
Reply 2
i would lol, not because of the mould stuff, but because its just plain rude the way he speaks down about your family. plus his family inherited the money - not like they even worked for it, just fell into their hands so who is he to judge other peoples famlies. No one should make you feel uncomfortable about your family or house IMO. tho i guess you could always talk to him haha i'm just kinda sensitive about class differences and that
well, he's obviously a snob, that's that over with
Reply 4
Anonymous
Hi everyone,

I'm starting to think my boyfriend is a bit of a snob. We've been going out 3 years and met at uni. He comes from a rich family with a huge house in London. His parents inherited a lot of money from a relative who died so they are quite wealthy. Although I wouldn't consider my family 'poor', we don't have loads of money. We live in a decent house and have a nice lifestyle but we don't have the money to go on a lot of holidays abroad or buy really expensive cars - like my boyfriend's family.

Recently it's becoming more and more obvious that he seems to think he's better than me. Every time he visits my house, he makes a negative comment. There was some wallpaper missing from my hall where my parents were decorating and he make a remark about that. He won't stay at my house because he says it's 'too small' and after having a shower at mine, he went on for ages about how his shower cost thousands of pounds and how people think he 'lives in a mansion'. It made my mum a bit uncomfortable.

Last week, he started going through some stuff in my room and pulled out a picture that was propped up against the wall. As it's an exterior wall, the heat from the house mixes with the cold of the wall and causes a lot of condensation there. There was a bit of mildew/mould-type stuff on the side of the picture and he went crazy about it. He started shouting about mould and how he "couldn't believe he'd touched it" then ran off and washed his hands. I felt so embarrassed because I didn't know about it until then and I've been getting rid of it this week.

Every time I've spoken to him since then, he's mentioned the mould and makes a big deal of it. I'm worried he's spread the rumour around and gossiped about me with his friends and family, as if I'm dirty or something.

I'm starting to not want to see him anymore because of the way he acts. It's like he bases the worth of everything and everyone on money and material things. Do you think he over reacted about the mould? It's made me feel really bad and humiliated and he just won't let it go.
Haha awesome..
Eugh Mould.

*leaves thread*
Reply 6
Sounds like a snob to me :yep:
Reply 7
Get rid of him... he's not worth it.
Reply 8
he's a snob, some people are just not compatible
He sounds like an absolute dick head.
Reply 10
He sounds like a bit of a n*b to me, not just a snob!!
Anonymous
Hi everyone,

Sounds like a t**t to be honest
Reply 12
Um...you really need to talk to him. Just confront him in a straightforward way and say 'Are you a snob?' Obviously, he'll say no. Then say 'then why are you...blah blah'. If he apologizes and realises what he has been doing, try again with him slowly. If he refuses to see how he is wrong and won't admit his mistakes and keeps defending himself, I think it might be better to just dump him, honey. He's obviously making jibes to embarrass you over the way you live and I don't think that's right. If anyone insulted my house or the way I lived in front of my parents I would be very angry.
Reply 13
What a complete prat. He's a wuss for acting like that, and he shouldn't be talking down to you, he may be richer than you but that certainly doesn't make him better than you. Yes, he is a snob. Judging by what you've said, he shouldn't be your boyfriend, I wouln't want to be with someone like that, tell him to change his attitude or ditch him.
At least he has a sense of humour, it's funny a tale!
Hmmm, you've included a lot of specific details, are you sure that if your BF is on here then he won't realise it's you?
marriage - divorce - half - SORTED :smile:
Reply 17
mathperson
Sounds like a t**t to be honest

Agreed. Snob yes, **** yes.
sounds like a **** to me
Reply 19
Sooo. Why are you with him?

Latest

Trending

Trending