Turn on thread page Beta

Is my boyfriend a snob? watch

ReputationRep:
    Men afraid of moulds????He is a PANSY ASS IDIOT......SISSY......Punch him.

ReputationRep:
    He isn't a snob...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    he's a twát

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrookedLegs)
    He sounds like an absolute **** head.
    I second this :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like he has an inferiority complex about his family and how they got their money...he needs to sort that out! Putting other people down to validate yourself is not good. Is he overtly 'class' conscious in other ways (makes of clothes etc)?

The mould thing could be him being a jerk, or it could be a genuine problem for him - issues (and even phobias) about mould not unheard of. You may want to ask him about this in a calm environment, if he has a real psychological problem with mould then his reaction needs to be dealt with more sensitively (his constant repetition could also be him trying to make you see how much of a deal this is to him). Have there been any other mould encounters that you know of (outside of your house)?

Should i turn out that he's just being a jerk on both points, then it's time for him to sort it out, or ship out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    He has some good qualities, I used to have a lot of fun with him and I enjoyed spending time with him - it's just recently hes been acting like this :confused:
    Has anything happened recently? Has he been under any particular stress or had any major problems? Just a thought.

ReputationRep:
    "a little"? just a little? Tbh he seems more spoiled than a four year old and what makes it worst is that I've met wealthy people who can understand that not anyone is born swimming in money and they still show respect, meaning snobs like him are either ignorant childish fool or an arrogant selfish *******s. Hope it's the former!

ReputationRep:
    He's a snob , if he makes you and your family uncomfortable for being who you are i'd ditch him

ReputationRep:
    Be a good samaritan and make this guy realise he is a snob. He really needs to change his perception on life and his attitude towards people especially!

ReputationRep:
    He doesn't just sound like a snob; he sounds like an inconsiderate eejit.

ReputationRep:
    dump the b*tch

ReputationRep:
    um, yes? why are you still seeing him when he's making you feel that awkward and uncomfortable?

ReputationRep:
    Simple answer, yes he is a snob! However educated people say the rich are most of them aren't educated very well in life and dealing with peoples' feelings (not all of them I'm not stereotypically) This might not be his fault, but his parents. You only percieve what you've personally percieved

Hope that makes sense...

ReputationRep:
    show him the thread responses and dump him

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Posting anon because I'm not sure if he uses this site.

I'm starting to think my boyfriend is a bit of a snob. We've been going out 3 years and met at uni. He comes from a rich family with a huge house in London. His parents inherited a lot of money from a relative who died so they are quite wealthy. Although I wouldn't consider my family 'poor', we don't have loads of money. We live in a decent house and have a nice lifestyle but we don't have the money to go on a lot of holidays abroad or buy really expensive cars - like my boyfriend's family.

Recently it's becoming more and more obvious that he seems to think he's better than me. Every time he visits my house, he makes a negative comment. There was some wallpaper missing from my hall where my parents were decorating and he make a remark about that. He won't stay at my house because he says it's 'too small' and after having a shower at mine, he went on for ages about how his shower cost thousands of pounds and how people think he 'lives in a mansion'. It made my mum a bit uncomfortable.

Last week, he started going through some stuff in my room and pulled out a picture that was propped up against the wall. As it's an exterior wall, the heat from the house mixes with the cold of the wall and causes a lot of condensation there. There was a bit of mildew/mould-type stuff on the side of the picture and he went crazy about it. He started shouting about mould and how he "couldn't believe he'd touched it" then ran off and washed his hands. I felt so embarrassed because I didn't know about it until then and I've been getting rid of it this week.

Every time I've spoken to him since then, he's mentioned the mould and makes a big deal of it. I'm worried he's spread the rumour around and gossiped about me with his friends and family, as if I'm dirty or something.

I'm starting to not want to see him anymore because of the way he acts. It's like he bases the worth of everything and everyone on money and material things. Do you think he over reacted about the mould? It's made me feel really bad and humiliated and he just won't let it go.
    Tell him that he is absolutely right about the mould and that a guy like him doesn't deserve you, then break up with him.

This will either:

• Rid you of a goon and most likely secretly infuriate him for months

• Make him realise what a tool he's being

ReputationRep:
    He is the very definition of a snob. He came into money (nouveau riche) rather than it already being in his family. He may think he's better than you because he has money but money doesn't give you ancestry, roots and breeding.

Basically he's being a right ****.

Since you've been with him three years, he's not an instant 'dump' but I would definitely tell him he's got to change his snobbish attitude. When he mentions the mould again, say gently that you "didn't realise it was there, it's been sorted, now please could you drop it" with a gentle smile (so you don't argue and he can genuinely see he's being a tit). Hopefully he's going through some sort of man-phase, will realise his snobbishness and return to normal. If he says anything rudely again, raise your eyebrows a bit with a straight face and quietly go "that was a bit rude" - he'll be embarrassed and realise what he's doing. If he persists, risk dumping him. If he persists again, dump. (Y)

ReputationRep:
    Dump him.

ReputationRep:
    He freaked out when he touched mould?

I think he's just out of touch with reality.

ReputationRep:
    he's a rude ******* - no offence

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Posting anon because I'm not sure if he uses this site.

I'm starting to think my boyfriend is a bit of a snob. We've been going out 3 years and met at uni. He comes from a rich family with a huge house in London. His parents inherited a lot of money from a relative who died so they are quite wealthy. Although I wouldn't consider my family 'poor', we don't have loads of money. We live in a decent house and have a nice lifestyle but we don't have the money to go on a lot of holidays abroad or buy really expensive cars - like my boyfriend's family.

Recently it's becoming more and more obvious that he seems to think he's better than me. Every time he visits my house, he makes a negative comment. There was some wallpaper missing from my hall where my parents were decorating and he make a remark about that. He won't stay at my house because he says it's 'too small' and after having a shower at mine, he went on for ages about how his shower cost thousands of pounds and how people think he 'lives in a mansion'. It made my mum a bit uncomfortable.

Last week, he started going through some stuff in my room and pulled out a picture that was propped up against the wall. As it's an exterior wall, the heat from the house mixes with the cold of the wall and causes a lot of condensation there. There was a bit of mildew/mould-type stuff on the side of the picture and he went crazy about it. He started shouting about mould and how he "couldn't believe he'd touched it" then ran off and washed his hands. I felt so embarrassed because I didn't know about it until then and I've been getting rid of it this week.

Every time I've spoken to him since then, he's mentioned the mould and makes a big deal of it. I'm worried he's spread the rumour around and gossiped about me with his friends and family, as if I'm dirty or something.

I'm starting to not want to see him anymore because of the way he acts. It's like he bases the worth of everything and everyone on money and material things. Do you think he over reacted about the mould? It's made me feel really bad and humiliated and he just won't let it go.
    Not only does he sound like a snob, he also sounds very nouveau riche, which is the worst sort of snob to be.

Who cares about some mould or mildew. Lots of very smart families with big houses have mildewy walls, the sort of people with spotless new build 'mansions' filled with expensive power showers and gleaming designer furniture are actually incredibly common, imo.

Oh, and he sounds like a complete tosser as well. Thought I'd chuck that in for good measure

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.