Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Emetophobia and uni watch

Announcements

I unfortunately am emetophobic and I was hoping to apply for uni accommodation with a shared bathroom because it would be cheaper.
    However, if someone is sick I will freak out, but particularly if the illness is due to norovirus, to the point that I feel I would have to come home. Now if I'm at uni 3 hours away from home, that's not going to work.
    So basically, how often do current/past uni students come across other students being sick, obv quite a lot from alcohol, but particularly from the norovirus.
    And how have emetophobics dealt with it at uni?

ReputationRep:
    Apply for your own studio apartment? or en-suite room? You might get extra funding for the phobia although im just speculating..

ReputationRep:
    At the halls where I work, if a student has a genuine medical reason for needing an ensuite they can have it for the same price as a regular room. If you can get a doctor's note then that might be a good option.

I wouldn't count on being able to avoid vomit for a year, although it's unlikely to be as a result of norovirus.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be honest, you probably will come across quite a bit of sick. I did and I had an en-suite. People tended to puke on nights out, pre drinks, drinking games.
    I didn't know anyone who had the norovirus or anything though - thats more unlikely.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    You're best getting in contact with your doctor and then getting in contact with accommodation. I hate it to the point of being ill if I hear others and somebody in my flat insists on doing it really loudly almost daily so you're best checking with accommodation services if they can help you out. I know people who have OCD and have had help towards ensuite bathrooms and provisions made in their kitchens.

ReputationRep:
    I have emetophobia (I made a thread a few weeks ago - I was freaking out because my flatmate was sick). I'm currently at uni in halls with a shared bathroom and so far it hasn't been as bad as I imagined. I might just be lucky though.

My friend on the floor above me has had 3 people throw up in the corridor, while I've yet to see any. The main problem I've had has been my flatmate being sick - the walls are so thin - I may as well have been in the room with her...

Urgh ^^ Can you go and use another floor's bathroom if necessary because I'd really rather not pester my doctor. If the sickness isn't from norovirus I should hopefully survive, if it is .......

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I can use other bathrooms, although it may depend on your uni/halls. No one I've met has had norovirus or any kind of sickness bug, just sickness from alcohol really.

ReputationRep:
    It really probably is best if you do go see your doctor. I suffer from emetophobia too and my doctor was really helpful

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.