Emetophobia and uni Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I unfortunately am emetophobic and I was hoping to apply for uni accommodation with a shared bathroom because it would be cheaper.
However, if someone is sick I will freak out, but particularly if the illness is due to norovirus, to the point that I feel I would have to come home. Now if I'm at uni 3 hours away from home, that's not going to work.
So basically, how often do current/past uni students come across other students being sick, obv quite a lot from alcohol, but particularly from the norovirus.
And how have emetophobics dealt with it at uni?
kas0
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Apply for your own studio apartment? or en-suite room? You might get extra funding for the phobia although im just speculating..
Cirsium
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
At the halls where I work, if a student has a genuine medical reason for needing an ensuite they can have it for the same price as a regular room. If you can get a doctor's note then that might be a good option.

I wouldn't count on being able to avoid vomit for a year, although it's unlikely to be as a result of norovirus.
mollymustard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm going to be honest, you probably will come across quite a bit of sick. I did and I had an en-suite. People tended to puke on nights out, pre drinks, drinking games.
I didn't know anyone who had the norovirus or anything though - thats more unlikely.
ParadoxSocks
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You're best getting in contact with your doctor and then getting in contact with accommodation. I hate it to the point of being ill if I hear others and somebody in my flat insists on doing it really loudly almost daily so you're best checking with accommodation services if they can help you out. I know people who have OCD and have had help towards ensuite bathrooms and provisions made in their kitchens.
Pragmatic
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have emetophobia (I made a thread a few weeks ago - I was freaking out because my flatmate was sick). I'm currently at uni in halls with a shared bathroom and so far it hasn't been as bad as I imagined. I might just be lucky though.

My friend on the floor above me has had 3 people throw up in the corridor, while I've yet to see any. The main problem I've had has been my flatmate being sick - the walls are so thin - I may as well have been in the room with her...
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Urgh ^^ Can you go and use another floor's bathroom if necessary because I'd really rather not pester my doctor. If the sickness isn't from norovirus I should hopefully survive, if it is .......
Pragmatic
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yes, I can use other bathrooms, although it may depend on your uni/halls. No one I've met has had norovirus or any kind of sickness bug, just sickness from alcohol really.
Lisa215
Report 8 years ago
It really probably is best if you do go see your doctor. I suffer from emetophobia too and my doctor was really helpful
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.59%
No (670)
60.74%
Not really bothered about them (228)
20.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed