Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    lll

Warwick trumps them I think, though personally I'd never go there, hated it on the open day, eurgh too remote for me. The chemistry department impressed me though.

ReputationRep:
    Warwick supposedly has more 'rep'.

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham or Warwick I'd say although I strongly prefer Nottingham as a city over Coventry. I've lived in both cities, btw.

ReputationRep:
    wawrick is the best but i'd never go there for the same reason the person above said, place looks dull! nottingham on the other hand looks amazing from every aspect, go there! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morse)
    Hi everyone,

I currently hold offers from Warwick (ABB), Nottingham (ABB) and Southampton (AAB) for Chemistry (MChem), and having visited all three on open days, I can't decide which I like the best. They are all roughly equal in just about every non-academic respect I can think of (location, atmosphere, etc.), so in order to help me decide which to pick, I was wondering how prestigious each is? Which one would you say has the best reputation, and which has the worst? I have looked at league tables, but I'm aware of how unreliable they are.
    What was the Nottingham interview like? I have one on saturday :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    My first choice is Southampton; the labs were better than nottingham and the city looked really nice too. The course and entry requirments are higher at Soton which attracts brighter people apparantly, so maybe the learning environment is better?

Going to see Warwick next Saturday although I don't really like its loction. The course is supposed to be consistently ranked at 6 6 6 4 in the top league tables, in comparison to Southampton which has a similiar ranking; generally Notthingham's average is slightly lower.

On gut feeling or whatever, I enjoyed Southampton so much more; not seen Warwick yet but I'm fairly certain I could get just as much out of Southampton in terms of academia, but the social scene etc I feel will just be alot better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by David.Williamz)
    The course and entry requirments are higher at Soton which attracts brighter people apparantly, so maybe the learning environment is better?
    The course is higher? What does that mean? The entry requirements for Nottingham and Southampton are exactly the same as far as I can see.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for Warwick, its a target uni away from chemistry but chemwise its top notch. Nottingham has a great reputation too, bit too crowded for me but that might be your thing. I've never been a fan of Soton, went for a visit and subsequently didn't put it down as a choice on UCAS. Its good too though.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't want to start a new thread, so thought i'd ask here:

I have an offer from warwick for biomedical chemistry, and nottingham for biological and medicinal chemistry with yr in industry both ABB. I guess i could change to the 4yr chemical biology course at warwick but i would have to take a year out to do any industry exp in either case. And tbh I don't know what to choose between warwick and notts, both courses are similar so i guess im asking is warwicks better rep, from what i understand from reading through threads on tsr, worth it? as in does more rep = better job oppurtunities, assuming i have same degree if i go to one or another ie 2:1 etc ?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say the for science graduates, the difference between Nottingham and Warwick is marginal at best. To be honest (and Eier is probably going to not like this) Nottingham does currently have the better chemistry department in terms of research quality.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 20, 2010

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.