Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Not Being Paid watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Ok I am still at school but have a part time job in a supermarket at 13 hours a week. I always get paid that fine, works out as 248 a month roughly and I get paid that fine.

However, most months I do extra hours which are given to me by the manager/supervisor.

In October and November I did a couple each month, only like 6 or so which is about £30. I didn't get paid these hours right at the end of the month, and told the manger and they got added to the next months. So for Octobers I finally got paid in December and I just got paid for Novembers now.

However, in December I did a lot of extra hours, some at triple time (eg. new years eve, christmas eve, boxing day etc.) and these totalled to about 45 hours/200ish pounds. I didn't get paid for any of these today, and I should have and some other people did.

I couldn't get my pay slip since they don't arrive until tomorrow. But I know there will just be another discussion and I might end up getting some of the money.

However, I need the money now, not at the end of january, and I can also envisage them only paying me single time even though my supervisor told me they were triple.

Can I make them pay me them in advance like next week, and not in a month? Since I should have gotten them today. Can they legally keep doing this? Is there a point in complaining to the head office, it is a large supermarket chain?

Any advice from similar situations would be good.

Calum

ReputationRep:
    I would start complaining to the wages department. If it's one of the big supermarkets chains, not paying you on time really isn't on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    I would start complaining to the wages department. If it's one of the big supermarkets chains, not paying you on time really isn't on.
    Ok, it's the co-operative/somerfield anyway so they are pretty big, especially here in Scotland. I just can't find out where to contact them, I can only find customer services and in careers they only have places to send CVs to.

I am going to go in early tomorrow to get my pay slip, find out exactly what I got and then talk to the manager. If he doesn't accept what I am saying, and agree to pay me before the end of febuary then I can contact the human resources/wages/head office. Does that sound like an ok thing to do? I don't want to be unreasonable or piss of the people I work with, I just want to get paid.

ReputationRep:
    It happened to me in my first job, but I was too shy to confront them about it!

Ever since then, I make a record of every hour I work and then check my payslip at the end of every month to make sure it all adds up!

I would go and speak to them about it and see how they have worked it out. They should be fine with it, considering it is your money they could be underpaying you. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lookitsdanhunt)
    It happened to me in my first job, but I was too shy to confront them about it!

Ever since then, I make a record of every hour I work and then check my payslip at the end of every month to make sure it all adds up!

I would go and speak to them about it and see how they have worked it out. They should be fine with it, considering it is your money they could be underpaying you. Good luck!
    Thanks for the advice. In the past 3 months, I haven't ever confronted them, I normally just ask the nice supervisor and he adds them on to my pay as overtime for that day, so I just get paid it at the end.

The manager is kinda scary and I work nights so hardly ever see him, but I can go in during the day. I want to complain this time though, as I am missing over £200 that I need for presents and I owe my mum money.

ReputationRep:
    Most likely they have forgotten to put the overtime hours on, until you have reminded them. This is pretty commonplace in retail!

I from when I used to work in retail administration, you (i.e. your manager) could put in a request to payroll to BACS out the missing payment early.

ReputationRep:
    You really need to stretch out your rights. It's your right to get paid in those hours. OT should be added to your salary.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.