Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why do people think the poor aren't poor just because they can have I-pods? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimeDivided09)
    People fail to take into account is that these cheap goods are mostly made in third world nations with cheap labor, hence why they're so cheap that even poor people in developed countries can afford them. That's why poor people own cheap goods and luxuries.
    Define 'cheap', how is £115 for an iPod 'cheap'? Cheap production costs does not equal cheap prices, and companies can make over 100% profit on things. You make no sense.

Also because sometimes buying a luxury item can be cheaper than owning health insurance, paying for a college education, and decent housing. We should all know that living paycheck to paycheck is different from owning actual wealth; large home, business, stocks, investments, etc.
    So not having lots of money, a large home, businesses etc... makes you 'poor' by default? There's no middle category? And these points are irrelevant in the UK; scarcely anyone here has med insurance and college education is available to all.

The vast majority live paycheck to paycheck. The wealth gap between rich and poor is huge in the United States. Why don't people see this? Do they just think that the poor are OK because they have just enough to live off of and buy a few nice items?
    If someone is genuinely poor, they don't buy £115 iPods. People who live 'paycheck to paycheck' don't but Apple Macs and Ipods and laptops and new phones.

Even if you can justify the economic system, how do you justify the fact that the bottom half has to keep adjusting their lives in order to keep the wealthy atop during every financial cycle? How much more do the poor have to keep having to subsist in order for the wealthy to have it all?
    You sound like an outdated Marxist, the market works in a circle so that everyone works for everyone. The poor need the rich just as much as vice versa. And I don't need to 'justify' anything because this is a meritocracy.

You totally fail at understanding anything.

ReputationRep:
    That is enough. Nowadays living comfortably isn't enough anymore, people want to be rich, want things that isn't needed.
    People want security. Material consumption doesn't mask the obvious inequalities in wealth. Affording luxury items won't bring you the security a poor person desires, it's just there to serve as a reminder that they're making enough to afford certain things.

Are not getting it? This is about giving the poor the security they want in an increasingly insecure and unstable (financially) world. The rights to proper education, healthcare and other services (that we lack in the US). The securities that rich people have and are distinguished by as a class, but will not give up even a cent to give these to the poor (in the form of services, at least in the States).

What you're essentially saying is that people have no real rights to anything unless they can climb the ladder and win them in the marketplace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Define 'cheap', how is £115 for an iPod 'cheap'? Cheap production costs does not equal cheap prices, and companies can make over 100% profit on things. You make no sense.

So not having lots of money, a large home, businesses etc... makes you 'poor' by default? There's no middle category? And these points are irrelevant in the UK; scarcely anyone here has med insurance and college education is available to all.

If someone is genuinely poor, they don't buy £115 iPods. People who live 'paycheck to paycheck' don't but Apple Macs and Ipods and laptops and new phones.

You sound like an outdated Marxist, the market works in a circle so that everyone works for everyone. The poor need the rich just as much as vice versa. And I don't need to 'justify' anything because this is a meritocracy.

You totally fail at understanding anything.
    Your signature is too big nowadays. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeeWeeDan)
    Your signature is too big nowadays. :p:

Go away Jewboy. :mad: :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Haha I don't even have an iPod, thanks for making me feel poorer!

ReputationRep:
    I sound like an outdated Marxist even though Marx said that very same thing; that the poor are just as reliant on the rich as they are to the poor?

Of course it doesn't. But debt finance has stepped in to supplant the falling purchasing power due to production being shipped overseas.

Not having any real wealth to speak of makes you poor. And where would the middle class have been without debt finance to keep them afloat?

What is your definition of someone who is genuinely poor? One that cannot afford anything but ramen noodles and a pot?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Consilio Et Animis)
    Haha I don't even have an iPod, thanks for making me feel poorer!
    Jeez, you guys are really stuck on the iPod thing. I should've used a different item.

I guess you are poor for being too lazy to make enough to be able to buy an iPod.

ReputationRep:
    This reminds me. Need to check if EMA Bonus has come in so i can buy my Ipod touch.

:teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Why do you hurt me? I thought we were Pally-pals... I'm so binning our friends for life necklaces. BTW mind throwing me a rep? I'm not green enough... making me more green will just help the planet

I don't think the measurement of a 'luxury' i.e. ownership of an iPod has been judged very well here. If someone is poor enough to have to only buy Tescos own or ASDA smart price, worries about overspending, and only shops in Primark occasionally, has to scrimp and save to buy Christmas presents and a new phone if it breaks, then imo they count as poor. However, if you save a few pounds for 10 weeks you can buy a second hand iPod from one of those trade-in electric shops (CEX we have in Plymouth) or get given someone's old one as a birthday gift. An iPod does not equal wealth. So either re-define 'poverty' or use a different 'poverty' indicator.

ReputationRep:
    Meritocracy? HAHAHA, can't believe I missed that one.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, someone failed to understand the distinction between relative poverty and absolute poverty :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Jeez, you guys are really stuck on the iPod thing. I should've used a different item.

I guess you are poor for being too lazy to make enough to be able to buy an iPod.
    Tbh I didn't even read your post
    I've never wanted an iPod so its not a matter of laziness. I'd use my EMA money if i wanted.

ReputationRep:
    So either re-define 'poverty' or use a different 'poverty' indicator.
    How about everyone in here define poverty, since there are so many different interpretations floating about in here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Consilio Et Animis)
    Tbh I didn't even read your post
    I've never wanted an iPod so its not a matter of laziness. I'd use my EMA money if i wanted.

All good, bro.

ReputationRep:
    WOAH! No need for racism! :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sakina101)
    WOAH! No need for racism! :lolwut:
    :rolleyes:

A) I don't know how it's offensive to call someone Jewish... Jewish.
    B) This is one of those in-jokes people like you really need not get involved in.
    C) Danny did I hurted your feelings? :puppyeyes:

(Original post by PeeWeeDan)

ReputationRep:
    How about everyone in here define poverty, since there are so many different interpretations floating about in here.
    There are two types of poverty.

Absolute Poverty: When a person is too poor to buy the goods necessary for life.

Relative Poverty: When you are poor when compared to others.

This is according to the OCR Examining Body (for Economics):yep:

ReputationRep:

B) This is one of those in-jokes people like you really need not get involved in.
    Nope love ya baby It is indeed an inside joke. Now rep me *****. (and come on MSN... I'm bored)

ReputationRep:

Oh okay, I'm relieved to hear that!:yep:

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.