Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do people think the poor aren't poor just because they can have I-pods? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimeDivided09)
    People want security. Material consumption doesn't mask the obvious inequalities in wealth. Affording luxury items won't bring you the security a poor person desires, it's just there to serve as a reminder that they're making enough to afford certain things.

Are not getting it? This is about giving the poor the security they want in an increasingly insecure and unstable (financially) world. The rights to proper education, healthcare and other services (that we lack in the US). The securities that rich people have and are distinguished by as a class, but will not give up even a cent to give these to the poor (in the form of services, at least in the States).

What you're essentially saying is that people have no real rights to anything unless they can climb the ladder and win them in the marketplace.
    Instant gratification or long term gratification? I'd go with long term. Buying an ipod is going to give you instant gratification, but it doesn't last. The next thing will come along and you will want that. I don't have an ipod, and I chose to save up the money that I could have bought the luxury items. Because of that, I now have a small fortune in my bank. Money management is everything. With poor money management skills, you are going to stay poor. If you are greedy, you are going to stay poor.

Yes, it is unstable, but there are ways to make it work. It is always going to be unstable, so instead of complaining - which will change nothing about the system, small things can be done to make it more stable for yourself.

People living in poverty, sure, the rich should help. But why should rich people give money that they've to people that can live comfortably and can also afford some good things? Isn't that just greedy? If you want money, go and save up. They pay a lot more tax anyway, so that essentially is contribution to the people. Without the rich paying those higher taxes, the normal tax would increase to be able to pay for the things that are free - see how poor people would like it.

No, I didn't mean that. But people should climb the ladder. Without wanting to do so and wishing for richness is called lazy and greedy. You have to work hard for your grades, and it's no different that you have to work hard to get the things that you want in life.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I work full-time and I can't afford an iPod :shrug:

There are much more important things in life :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I guess because they are poor themselves?

ReputationRep:
    :confused: ipods arent exactly really cheap!

just because they are poor doesnt mean they cant save
    people dont exactly think oh look they have an ipod they're rich

ReputationRep:
    This is a silly thread.

Poverty is defined by your income not by your possessions.
    Thats the point of this thread.

ReputationRep:
    my ipod broke, does that mean I get EMA?

ReputationRep:
    What has the world come to, we now judge peoples wealth by the material things they own...what if people just simply chose not to buy i pods, blackberrys or iphones because they simply didnt want to...does that make them poor or does that mean that maybe there have found a cause far more important than accumulating material things...

The happiest people i find are the poor people who love to give even though they dont own much themselves...and i want to be one of them!

ReputationRep:
    I think that one of the main problems is that I should've worded the thread better. It's also very American-centered. Here in the States, social benefits are next to zero and debt finance is a way of life if you wany any of the basic necessesities that you people in the EU have. In the US people get upset at poor people for complaining about the lack of social services and education benefits, but they can afford iPods, cell phones, nice things for a car, flat screens, etc. My point is that wealth shouldn't be measured by material possessions but by income and that it would be erroneous to judge people based on consumer products accumulated because they are pretty tangible with the use of cheap credit. Whereas a college education, health insurance and decent housing are a bit harder to own without amassing massive debt. That is where I was coming from with the issue of wealth disparity.

ReputationRep:
    You have to make the difference between relative poverty and absolute poverty.
    I agree. I was talking mostly of relative poverty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lareneg)
    True, but iPods are seen a luxury good. People will commonly assume that those with luxury goods are not poor.
    This.

By your reasoning OP I must be a starving tramp since I don't own any kind of portable music player :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpamBa)
    This.

By your reasoning OP I must be a starving tramp since I don't own any kind of portable music player :rolleyes:
    Sigh. The point was that wealth shouldn't be measured by consumer products but by income.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimeDivided09)
    Sigh. The point was that wealth shouldn't be measured by consumer products but by income.
    Both should be taken into consideration as wealth should be determined by purchasing power - what you can afford to buy with the amount that you earn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpamBa)
    Both should be taken into consideration as wealth should be determined by purchasing power - what you can afford to buy with the amount that you earn.

I agree but all indicators have shown that purchasing power has severely declined since the late 70s and debt finance has supplanted most of the loss in real wages. Cheap credit is what most use today to purchase luxury items. This severely skewers the disparity in income in places like the US because people look at the fact that the poor can afford things like Ipods and nice gadgets but lack things like a college education and health insurance (in the States).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.