The Student Room Group

Don't you think women should get 2 days time off a month for periods?

Ive just been struggling and trying to cope for an hour with period pain it used up so much energy I fell asleep straight after lol. But yea Im starting an health care course soon which only allows us to have 27 days off sick in 3 years before we have to 'make up time' whatever that means but were likely to be ill with cold/flu several times a year. Ive fainted twice in the past on a public street with period pain because I 'had to attend' it just makes me panic and go all lightheaded for some reason I was thinking though I think women should be able to have 2 days off a month, paid or unpaid I don't care, because theres no way Im risking going through all this when Im out or working whatever. I take mefanemic acid and people might say take something stronger or go on the pill but I think why should I, nature intended us to rest when on a period its natural why should we load ourselves with pills when we are already contributing to society for hours everyday? Im going to tell occupational health when I go for the checkup before the course Ive no idea what they'l say but I want to be at home when Im struggling through all this not fainting.

What do you think though?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I doubt most women have their periods as bad as yours sweetheart x
Reply 2
definately if you're actually fainting. i think you should explain your situation to someone in authority and hopefully theyll understand
Reply 3
I think that would be fair...

As long as blokes can have 2 days off for sports related activities...
Reply 4
Not really. Not all of us even have periods (I don't). If they're that bad get medication to get rid of them :dontknow:
If women had time off work just for periods we'd end up with even more discrimination. Employers wont want it. Just a thought.
2 days, unpaid. It would be better for the men in the office aswell.
No.
If your periods are that bad you should get medication to prevent it, not time off work to accommodate it.
alio~
Ive just been struggling and trying to cope for an hour with period pain it used up so much energy I fell asleep straight after lol. But yea Im starting an health care course soon which only allows us to have 27 days off sick in 3 years before we have to 'make up time' whatever that means but were likely to be ill with cold/flu several times a year. Ive fainted twice in the past on a public street with period pain because I 'had to attend' it just makes me panic and go all lightheaded for some reason I was thinking though I think women should be able to have 2 days off a month, paid or unpaid I don't care, because theres no way Im risking going through all this when Im out or working whatever. I take mefanemic acid and people might say take something stronger or go on the pill but I think why should I, nature intended us to rest when on a period its natural why should we load ourselves with pills when we are already contributing to society for hours everyday? Im going to tell occupational health when I go for the checkup before the course Ive no idea what they'l say but I want to be at home when Im struggling through all this not fainting.

Have a GP referral. If its that bad do you not think its more than periods? other women dont usually faint from period pain. It could be cysts or polyps or any manner of things but Ive not heard of someone having that much trouble from periods alone.

So no I dont think women should get two days off - yes extra time off would be lovely but most dont have this kind of problem
i dont have period pains but its not like i've never had them before and i know how painful they can be.
my period is VERYYYYYYYYYY heavy and so it's hard to cope with. but its not end of the world, although somedays i dont even feel like getting out of bed cos its soo heavy. and the heaviness lasts for about 3/4 days.
I vomit and faint when mine comes but I still go to school ecause its hard to catch up. You should go on the pill if its that bad, im not allowed to go on it so i just take paracetomol. Tbh i women stopped working 2 days a month for periods the men and and other people would have to cover for them which is unfair.
Reply 12
You won't get the time off. Mine really hurts but I still go to work even though I feel like death. Go to the doctor I'm sure they'll be able to suggest something. I think that's the route I'll have to take soon too.
What a ridiculous suggestion.

You already get sick days which you can use at your discretion. Are you seriously suggesting that all women should automatically have an extra two days off every month?
Adonis
I doubt most women have their periods as bad as yours sweetheart x

well I said 'we' so that people won't think that Im saying I have it worse than others because I don't know if I do, but I can't cope with what I go through.
No, that's the most ridiculous thing ever.

Get some medication if yours are that bad, if you needed medicine would you not take any because nature intended you to die?
Reply 16
thedude78
I think that would be fair...

As long as blokes can have 2 days off for sports related activities...

i agree entirely. :yep:
seriously that is abnormally bad period pain - i get a little but nothing i would need time off for!

babe, seriously, go on the pill it would make your life sooooo much easier.
alio~

If periods are affecting you that bad you have to take time off then go see a doctor.

I suffered..and well still suffer with endometriosis and was also anaemic and although I was in some pain and feeling weak, it wasn't hard to bring myself into a couple of hours of lectures a day.

Go to the doctor and take some bloody medicine, its what it's there for- if its affecting you that much you have no reason other than pride to put up with it! Plus with colleagues especially in healthcare, if you were taking time off the for same reasons but said you didn't do anything about it- you'll be the gossip of the staff room!

If you are SO agaisnt modern medicine, what about homeopathy?
Reply 19
Pink Bullets
What a ridiculous suggestion.

You already get sick days which you can use at your discretion. Are you seriously suggesting that all women should automatically have an extra two days off every month?

well I can't possibly and am not working through this put it that way, saying we work full time yet some people don't work at all 2 days isn't much lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending