Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Don't you think women should get 2 days time off a month for periods? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by areyoucool/symmetrical?)
    yikes!

stay out of her way :holmes:
    lol Ive not even read it, just scanned through Ive no idea what shes waffling on about this time.

ReputationRep:
    I'd hate to get 2 days off for this! Then every time you're off everyone would know you're on your period :blushing: :blushing:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yogity)
    I'd hate to get 2 days off for this! Then every time you're off everyone would know you're on your period :blushing: :blushing:
    lol true!

ReputationRep:
    Yh that is a good idea!

ReputationRep:
    Lol no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    How childish are you? Or are you trolling? :confused:
    No Im just not like you :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Yes! Yes! 2 Days?!?! How about the whole damn 7 days whilst you bounce around from "mildly irritated" to "everyone must be screamed at" to "I love you".

We should create a camp ... ahem ... I mean "spa" where women can go to keep them away from the general population. You know, like they do with people who have personality disorders ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio~)
    well since our taxes are paying for them to be off all the time, 2 days off for someone who contributes to society full time isn't much is it?
    well you can't really control what your taxes get spent on so that's irrelevant. Your boss is paying you to be at work, they expect you to be there. Even if the two days are unpaid they'll have to arrange cover working out more expensive for them leading to the discrimination plenty of people have already pointed out. Personally, I don't see how the contributing to society bit makes a difference - on a basic level it's a responsibility you hold.

There are plenty of ways to reduce period pains, even the pill (which is free btw) reduces cramps/lighter and shorter flow. When periods are causing that much pain women tend to do something about it rather than sitting around and complaining about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    Not really. Not all of us even have periods (I don't). If they're that bad get medication to get rid of them :dontknow:
    :eek: wtf I never knew this? I am confused:confused:

ReputationRep:
    If women can get 2 days off for period pains every month, then men should get 2 days off for the lag we have to endure whilst playing COD.

ReputationRep:
    WTF no. How pathetic would that be?? I used to have terrible periods that caused entire days of constant vomiting and agonising pain, but I manned up, got pills and got the **** on with my life. I suggest you do the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andmeaning)
    well you can't really control what your taxes get spent on so that's irrelevant. Your boss is paying you to be at work, they expect you to be there. Even if the two days are unpaid they'll have to arrange cover working out more expensive for them leading to the discrimination plenty of people have already pointed out. Personally, I don't see how the contributing to society bit makes a difference - on a basic level it's a responsibility you hold.

There are plenty of ways to reduce period pains, even the pill (which is free btw) reduces cramps/lighter and shorter flow. When periods are causing that much pain women tend to do something about it rather than sitting around and complaining about it.
    Why should I go on the pill, I tried it once and was sick all day but I don't really trust things like this anyway its just messing with hormones. Ok the 'all women having 2 days off' idea is way over the top but I was trying to think fairly if Id have said 'I think I should have 2 days off' people would have been saying 'why should you you're not the only one who suffers'. It just seems insane to have to artificially alter your body chemistry in order to contribute to society. I might be comming across as mad but it makes sense to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glorious Lozhka)
    WTF no. How pathetic would that be?? I used to have terrible periods that caused entire days of constant vomiting and agonising pain, but I manned up, got pills and got the **** on with my life. I suggest you do the same.
    lol ok, pills pills pills.. what pills did you get?

ReputationRep:
    I think women should get 2 days off for the first 2 days of period... It hurts and just makes you feel like **** xD I can never focus on work or lectures anyway when it is painful.

But take Ibuprofin I guess :-/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio~)
    Ive just been struggling and trying to cope for an hour with period pain it used up so much energy I fell asleep straight after lol. But yea Im starting an health care course soon which only allows us to have 27 days off sick in 3 years before we have to 'make up time' whatever that means but were likely to be ill with cold/flu several times a year. Ive fainted twice in the past on a public street with period pain because I 'had to attend' it just makes me panic and go all lightheaded for some reason I was thinking though I think women should be able to have 2 days off a month, paid or unpaid I don't care, because theres no way Im risking going through all this when Im out or working whatever. I take mefanemic acid and people might say take something stronger or go on the pill but I think why should I, nature intended us to rest when on a period its natural why should we load ourselves with pills when we are already contributing to society for hours everyday? Im going to tell occupational health when I go for the checkup before the course Ive no idea what they'l say but I want to be at home when Im struggling through all this not fainting.

What do you think though?

I would say oh yeh, thats great, but tbh a lot of people don't have such bad periods. I, like you, suffer from awful periods, but as long as the provision is there (hot water bottle in staff room, paracetamol in your bag, spare underwear and trousers in your bag) it isn't a problem. I've vomitted due to period pains many times, but the most a woman should be allowed off work is like half a day unpaid just in case of like a leak or something.

We'd get discriminated against hugely aswell, we already do because we can get pregnant. Periods are periods, if you don't like them go on the pill or have a hysterectomy(sp?). There's no point moaning, I agree they're awful, worst week of the month, but we might as well put up with it, it gives us babies after all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio~)
    Why should I go on the pill, I tried it once and was sick all day but I don't really trust things like this anyway its just messing with hormones. Ok the 'all women having 2 days off' idea is way over the top but I was trying to think fairly if Id have said 'I think I should have 2 days off' people would have been saying 'why should you you're not the only one who suffers'. It just seems insane to have to artificially alter your body chemistry in order to contribute to society. I might be comming across as mad but it makes sense to me.

you realise that for one thing there are loads of different types of pills and even if none work there are other things you can do

question, do you take pain killers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Scarlet)
    I think women should get 2 days off for the first 2 days of period... It hurts and just makes you feel like **** xD I can never focus on work or lectures anyway when it is painful.

But take Ibuprofin I guess :-/
    i would hate anyone i was working for knowing i was on my period, it has nothing to do with them but if i had to have 2 days off then everyone would always know

Over the past 2 days I had to miss college and miss an exam because my pains were unbearibly bad. So yeah, I agree.

ReputationRep:
    No. Get paracetomal/medication/the pill and deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    I want time off for my beeriods.

(Less than solid ***** after a heavy night on the ale.)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.