Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Don't you think women should get 2 days time off a month for periods? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    you realise that for one thing there are loads of different types of pills and even if none work there are other things you can do

question, do you take pain killers?
    I was prescribed mefanamic acid and take 1 four times a day throughout the period. I take one the day before I think its due to start to try and prevent the cramps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio~)
    I was prescribed mefanamic acid and take 1 four times a day throughout the period. I take one the day before I think its due to start to try and prevent the cramps.

i dont know anything about that tbh but if it isnt working for you i really would suggest going back to the docs to get something else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffinz)
    No. Get paracetomal/medication/the pill and deal with it.
    I'l deal with it whichever way I choose!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio~)
    Why should I go on the pill, I tried it once and was sick all day but I don't really trust things like this anyway its just messing with hormones.
    This messing with hormones argument is ********. Your body is perfectly adapted to processing synthetic hormones just like real ones.
    You'd be damn lucky to find a contraception first time that works perfectly for you. I've not stopped using the injection for years because it relieves me of periods and pain completely. Bearing in mind the pain was so bad it hurt to walk and it felt like someone was sticking a knife up there. So obviously I've not needed to try anything else but it sounds like you should.

ReputationRep:
    Yep sure. They should be paid 10% less too overall. (Thats what 2 days a month equates to)
    And another 10% cut for lack of consistency and a need to replace them.

So 20% wage cut, 2 days off a month. Seems fair to all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    i dont know anything about that tbh but if it isnt working for you i really would suggest going back to the docs to get something else
    Its supposed to be strong stuff I'l ask for something else and see what he suggests like you said there are loads of things to try its just finding the right one but going on the pill just seems..over the top lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio~)
    I'l deal with it whichever way I choose!
    Complaining about it doesn't count as dealing with it. the pill solves virtually all period pains/problems. All pills are different, so it might take a few tries before you find the right one. And, seriously, you learn to take pills eventually. You can overcome the reflex that stops you taking them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    Yep sure. They should be paid 10% less too overall. (Thats what 2 days a month equates to)
    And another 10% cut for lack of consistency and a need to replace them.

So 20% wage cut, 2 days off a month. Seems fair to all.
    well Id take that over what Ive experienced today.:top:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by alio~)
    Ive just been struggling and trying to cope for an hour with period pain it used up so much energy I fell asleep straight after lol. But yea Im starting an health care course soon which only allows us to have 27 days off sick in 3 years before we have to 'make up time' whatever that means but were likely to be ill with cold/flu several times a year. Ive fainted twice in the past on a public street with period pain because I 'had to attend' it just makes me panic and go all lightheaded for some reason I was thinking though I think women should be able to have 2 days off a month, paid or unpaid I don't care, because theres no way Im risking going through all this when Im out or working whatever. I take mefanemic acid and people might say take something stronger or go on the pill but I think why should I, nature intended us to rest when on a period its natural why should we load ourselves with pills when we are already contributing to society for hours everyday? Im going to tell occupational health when I go for the checkup before the course Ive no idea what they'l say but I want to be at home when Im struggling through all this not fainting.

What do you think though?
    It would just make women even less employable relative to men, who definitely would not need two days off a month due to period pain, and who also do not get pregnant and sometimes decide to totally quit their careers because of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio~)
    well Id take that over what Ive experienced today.:top:
    I'd employ you under those conditions. As long as your work wasn't affected on the 18 days a month you were there. I'm a fan of flexibility.

ReputationRep:
    My periods are completely manageable and not that bad at all. I think you should see a doctor, OP They are not meant to be that bad. Besides, when you are up and about pains are rarely thought of because you are busy. I prefer periods at school than at weekends because I don't have time to feel the pain like I do at home. Don't tell your workplace because they won't agree with you and just tell you to see a doctor. Go on the pill or something - I know it's not preferable but if you were in pain somewhere else you would take a pill. Don't let a monthly bleed put you out of your daily routine - 2 days a month for the rest of your working/bleeding life is a lot of wasted days when added up and will allow guys to get further in the career ladder. Also, a lot of women don't want to admit when they are on their periods. Sorry OP but I really think you should just get the implant (no periods) or go on the pill (lighter periods).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio~)
    Its supposed to be strong stuff I'l ask for something else and see what he suggests like you said there are loads of things to try its just finding the right one but going on the pill just seems..over the top lol.
    trust me the pill is a godsend, its helped me a LOT with mine, mine have gone from being 6-7 days long to 1-3 days max, heavy to light, painfull (to the point i was taking painkillers like sweets for the first 3 days) to virtually no pain at all

and ive had very minimul symptoms on the pill

ReputationRep:
    Don't go into healthcare if you have the mentality that you expect 2 days off a month for something which could be treated but for which you refuse to do something about.

You will not do yourself any favours, nor your future patients.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Star*Guitar*)
    This messing with hormones argument is ********. Your body is perfectly adapted to processing synthetic hormones just like real ones.
    You'd be damn lucky to find a contraception first time that works perfectly for you. I've not stopped using the injection for years because it relieves me of periods and pain completely. Bearing in mind the pain was so bad it hurt to walk and it felt like someone was sticking a knife up there. So obviously I've not needed to try anything else but it sounds like you should.
    well science is still discovering how the body works there are arguments for and against it I just happen to sort of agree with the latter. Im not saying you are wrong Id just rather stay as natural as possible plus I don't need contraception right now so it doesn't make sense.

ReputationRep:
    This is possibly the most ridiculous suggestion ever, women wanted to be equally with regard the workplace and always complain about the glass ceiling and how they get paid less, but yet stupid suggestions like this. *rolls eyes*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Don't go into healthcare if you have the mentality that you expect 2 days off a month for something which could be treated but for which you refuse to do something about.

You will not do yourself any favours, nor your future patients.
    Then people would complain/look down on me for not contributing to society lol thats societies mentality.

ReputationRep:
    No, because not all girls are affected by their period in the same way. Most women shouldn't have to take time off if they feel perfectly fine when they have their periods. Besides, it wouldn't favour them, to have to take time off everytime they have their period. Just another excuse for men to consider them unequal.

I suggest you go and see a doctor, maybe they could give you a contraceptive (they work quite well in stopping heavy periods).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio~)
    well science is still discovering how the body works there are arguments for and against it I just happen to sort of agree with the latter. Im not saying you are wrong Id just rather stay as natural as possible plus I don't need contraception right now so it doesn't make sense.

i didnt (and still dont) need mine as a contraception but i would rather have painfree, light, short periods for the sake of popping a daily pill for 21 days of the month

and i even have the opinion of having back to back packs if i dont fancy having my period that month

ReputationRep:
    If so, men should get 2 days for extreme ******* time.

ReputationRep:
    Things that annoy me about this thread:

1) 'I don't want to take medicine because it's not natural' - you're going into healthcare for gods sake. Also, a large proportion of us wouldn't be here if it wern't for medical intervention. Got a problem? Suck it up and appreciate that we live in a world where you can actually do something about it.

2) 'I would hate people to know its my period' Oh for craps sake. PEOPLE LOOK AT YOU AND KNOW YOU ARE FEMALE THEREFORE CAN LOGICALLY DEDUCE THAT YOU GET PERIODS. Yes, it so happens that it comes out of your vagina (ew, icky, gross, etc). If you menstruated out of your eardrum would you still be grossed out? It's not going to come as any surprise to your co-workers that you have a female reproductive system.

3) People who are posting and assuming that all women are as sappy as people believing 1) and 2).

Grr. Rant time over.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.