Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Don't you think women should get 2 days time off a month for periods? watch

ReputationRep:
    My period pains are as bad as yours. I suggest going on the pill, it really does make a difference. The pain for me was unbearable, it made me faint, made me sick, made me exhausted. Go to the bleedin' doctors!

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, first maternity leave, now period leave.

Slackers...

:P

I JEST.

ReputationRep:
    If they're that bad, you should really take some medication or just a sick day off work...but most people are fine so it wouldn't be necessary, I don't think I've had any kind of cramp in my life (am almost annoyed I can't sympathise with these fainting people :p:)

ReputationRep:
    Only if I'm allowed two days off a month to de-sweatify my balls and scratch my arse.

Spoiler:
    Show
    wow i must sound attractive right now :p:

ReputationRep:
    Ahh yess that would be so lovely.
    I had to skip today and half of yesturday off school
    It's horrible being stuck in school when you are one your first or second day. Especially when it's a really bad month, and i start to feel really faint, feel reaaally sick and then have immense pain. You shouldn't have to deal with that stuck on an uncomfortable school having to work. You should be tucked up home in bed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scribble_girl)

2) 'I would hate people to know its my period' Oh for craps sake. PEOPLE LOOK AT YOU AND KNOW YOU ARE FEMALE THEREFORE CAN LOGICALLY DEDUCE THAT YOU GET PERIODS. Yes, it so happens that it comes out of your vagina (ew, icky, gross, etc). If you menstruated out of your eardrum would you still be grossed out? It's not going to come as any surprise to your co-workers that you have a female reproductive system.
    im one of those people who doesnt want others to know, of course they know i get them but then dont know WHEN, thats the point!

ffs i dont even let my own bf know when im on im not going to let others know

ReputationRep:
    By this logic men should get the day off, if their balls are a bit itchy.

ReputationRep:
    No. Why do girls just accept this amount of pain instead of doing something about it?

ReputationRep:
    I entered this thread seeing only the first part of the title: "Don't you think women should...". Because the second part is not "... get back to the kitchen.", I disapprove.

ReputationRep:
    No, deal with it

ReputationRep:
    Pfft, no. Man up. Drown yourself in pills. Tape a hot water bottle to your body. There's always a solution :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scribble_girl)
    Things that annoy me about this thread:

1) 'I don't want to take medicine because it's not natural' - you're going into healthcare for gods sake. Also, a large proportion of us wouldn't be here if it wern't for medical intervention. Got a problem? Suck it up and appreciate that we live in a world where you can actually do something about it.

2) 'I would hate people to know its my period' Oh for craps sake. PEOPLE LOOK AT YOU AND KNOW YOU ARE FEMALE THEREFORE CAN LOGICALLY DEDUCE THAT YOU GET PERIODS. Yes, it so happens that it comes out of your vagina (ew, icky, gross, etc). If you menstruated out of your eardrum would you still be grossed out? It's not going to come as any surprise to your co-workers that you have a female reproductive system.

3) People who are posting and assuming that all women are as sappy as people believing 1) and 2).

Grr. Rant time over.
    THIS.
    Nicely put

Myself I wouldn't want 2 days off. My periods last 2 weeks and are frickin terrible but I wouldn't want to be considered a liability just because of my gender! Who the hell would employ women if this were the case?
    Also, OP, if they're that bad and you hate medication that much (oh the irony, you're doing healthcare..) just try a water bottle or heatpack that you can wear under your clothes. Works wonders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachesishere)
    Ahh yess that would be so lovely.
    I had to skip today and half of yesturday off school
    It's horrible being stuck in school when you are one your first or second day. Especially when it's a really bad month, and i start to feel really faint, feel reaaally sick and then have immense pain. You shouldn't have to deal with that stuck on an uncomfortable school having to work. You should be tucked up home in bed.
    wouldn't that be just peachy

but no
    it isn't going to happen i'm afraid

ReputationRep:
    YES DEFINITELY. I often get excrutiating period pains, and thus I'm unable to work effectively without puking all over the place :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio~)
    Then people would complain/look down on me for not contributing to society lol thats societies mentality.
    You are tripping!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    My period pains are as bad as yours. I suggest going on the pill, it really does make a difference. The pain for me was unbearable, it made me faint, made me sick, made me exhausted. Go to the bleedin' doctors!
    no pun intended, yeah?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio~)
    Ive just been struggling and trying to cope for an hour with period pain it used up so much energy I fell asleep straight after lol. But yea Im starting an health care course soon which only allows us to have 27 days off sick in 3 years before we have to 'make up time' whatever that means but were likely to be ill with cold/flu several times a year. Ive fainted twice in the past on a public street with period pain because I 'had to attend' it just makes me panic and go all lightheaded for some reason I was thinking though I think women should be able to have 2 days off a month, paid or unpaid I don't care, because theres no way Im risking going through all this when Im out or working whatever. I take mefanemic acid and people might say take something stronger or go on the pill but I think why should I, nature intended us to rest when on a period its natural why should we load ourselves with pills when we are already contributing to society for hours everyday? Im going to tell occupational health when I go for the checkup before the course Ive no idea what they'l say but I want to be at home when Im struggling through all this not fainting.

What do you think though?
    No way! Obviously unfortunately for you, you have terrible crippling pains but most people don't.

It's suggestions like this that suppress equality.
    Go on the pill, it'll help. Even if it doesn't, you can run packs together and not have a period for months.

People go to work with cancer, you can put up with period pains.
    Man up.

Ohhh but btw I hope they get better, and I really would recommend the pill .

ReputationRep:
    If yes, then women should have their vocal box removed at birth to stop the pain mens ears receive daily.

ReputationRep:
    I kinda just deal with it... But if you're in as much pain as you describe, maybe you should seek medical help?

ReputationRep:
    wouldnt this be a step backwards for women wanting to be treated as equally as men.....? you want to be on the same level but now you want time off for 'women issues'....why dont you use your time off to cook, clean and shop like all women should (that last part was sarcasm by the way)

sorry, if women want to be taken seriously they should button up and get on with it....

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.