The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

xmarilynx
Not really. Not all of us even have periods (I don't). If they're that bad get medication to get rid of them :dontknow:

You are so lucky! Can i ask how come you dont have them?
yes provided men get manflu off days as well
GurlGamer
You are so lucky! Can i ask how come you dont have them?

I get an injection every three months. It's for contraception, but the lack of periods is a very welcome bonus :p:
Sorry, but that's a ridiculous suggestion. Imagine how much that would set women back in the workplace! The kind of problems yours give you are not normal for the majority of women, and everyone on here who does have it that bad (and I feel for you btw, mine have never needed more than 2 painkillers and a hot water bottle) has sorted it by going on the pill.
Reply 144
KateRosie
I think just get on with it, if you're fainting then go to your doctors. But there's no need to take time off for just a period, you may as well get used to them now, you've got your whole life to put up with them yet.

Something tells me that you don't have any idea about how painful periods can actually get.
xmarilynx
I get an injection every three months. It's for contraception, but the lack of periods is a very welcome bonus :p:

Im so up for that :P
So i just go to the doctors to get it then!?
Whats it called, any side effects?
GurlGamer
Im so up for that :P
So i just go to the doctors to get it then!?
Whats it called, any side effects?

I've not had any, but apparently side effects can include weight gain, headaches, mood swings, breast tenderness and irregular bleeding. It can take up to one year for your fertility level to return to normal after the injection wears off, so it may not be suitable if you want to have a baby in the near future (I'm guessing this probably won't be an issue for you though!). Also, although for most people (7 in 10) periods stop altogether, for a few unlucky ones they become irregular/longer. It sounds pretty bad when you list it like that but most methods of contraception have risks though (the pill has loads! :eek:) and most people are fine.

The NHS give information about it here and there's more information here.

I was on the Pill but wasn't that keen on it, so I went to the doctor to get more information on the injection and the implant. I went for the injection and he gave it there and then. After that you just pop in every three months to the nurse :smile:
I think that would just encourage some women to take time off as an excuse. I used to get really bad pain on my periods, and all I could do is sleep however more recently I've not had any problems and been able to function as normal. You should only take time off work/school with it if your in really bad pain.
Man up.
xmarilynx
I've not had any, but apparently side effects can include weight gain, headaches, mood swings, breast tenderness and irregular bleeding. It can take up to one year for your fertility level to return to normal after the injection wears off, so it may not be suitable if you want to have a baby in the near future (I'm guessing this probably won't be an issue for you though!). Also, although for most people (7 in 10) periods stop altogether, for a few unlucky ones they become irregular/longer. It sounds pretty bad when you list it like that but most methods of contraception have risks though (the pill has loads! :eek:) and most people are fine.

The NHS give information about it here and there's more information here.

I was on the Pill but wasn't that keen on it, so I went to the doctor to get more information on the injection and the implant. I went for the injection and he gave it there and then. After that you just pop in every three months to the nurse :smile:

Thanks for all of the info, i think i will mull it over for a few days :biggrin:
Reply 150
mathperson
As long as blokes got the same so that they could lay in bed for 2 full days per month also.
To be honest, women have dealt with it for the last few hundred years at work and havn't needed time off for it, so no way (unless its unpaid time off, obviously).

Are you serious????

chronic_fatigue
I vomit and faint when mine comes but I still go to school ecause its hard to catch up. You should go on the pill if its that bad, im not allowed to go on it so i just take paracetomol. Tbh i women stopped working 2 days a month for periods the men and and other people would have to cover for them which is unfair.

You're "not allowed" to go on the pill??? Is that for medical reasons? It's terrible that you can't go on it for something as necessary as pain relief :frown:
Reply 151
jelly1000
I think that would just encourage some women to take time off as an excuse. I used to get really bad pain on my periods, and all I could do is sleep however more recently I've not had any problems and been able to function as normal. You should only take time off work/school with it if your in really bad pain.

but how do you know if you will be in bad pain or not? Ive done this in the past Ive gone to college even though I feel weak and crampy from periods and fainted in class (though the pain wasn't that bad on that day), for some reason Ive had some weird phobia of fainting every since and I don't want the whole cycle to start again, although at uni I thought to myself don't be so soft, went out the cramps got bad waiting for a bus and I passed out at the bus stop lol. To me unless I can guarantee no or low period pain (usually on the second/third day) I just stay at home Im not risking fainting in public again I really can't imagine labour pains being any worse:confused: Though people say they are.
Reply 152
Anglerfish
Man up.

Id like to see you cope with it!
Jelkin
Are you serious????

You're "not allowed" to go on the pill??? Is that for medical reasons? It's terrible that you can't go on it for something as necessary as pain relief :frown:

Actually I'm sorry I have made a mistake, women havn't worked for that long have they :p:
Genesis-ar92
lol no I just didnt know why it was needed to last so long :P I guess it just upsets hormone balance

Not really, you can get an injection that lasts only 8 weeks. It's for convenience really - it's far easier to get one injection every three months than more often, or take a pill everyday (IMO at least).
Hear Hear!
alio~
Id like to see you cope with it!

A little sarcasm my dear. I highly doubt I could cope with it.
Peachesishere
Oh hmm....hahahaha. Ow that was so hilarious it hurt. :|

I know it's not going to happen, so there's no need to be afraid (:

that hurt? ahh wow you must bruise like a peach :zomg:
Reply 158
alio~
Ive just been struggling and trying to cope for an hour with period pain it used up so much energy I fell asleep straight after lol. But yea Im starting an health care course soon which only allows us to have 27 days off sick in 3 years before we have to 'make up time' whatever that means but were likely to be ill with cold/flu several times a year. Ive fainted twice in the past on a public street with period pain because I 'had to attend' it just makes me panic and go all lightheaded for some reason I was thinking though I think women should be able to have 2 days off a month, paid or unpaid I don't care, because theres no way Im risking going through all this when Im out or working whatever. I take mefanemic acid and people might say take something stronger or go on the pill but I think why should I, nature intended us to rest when on a period its natural why should we load ourselves with pills when we are already contributing to society for hours everyday? Im going to tell occupational health when I go for the checkup before the course Ive no idea what they'l say but I want to be at home when Im struggling through all this not fainting.

What do you think though?

:eek3: If they're this bad you need to stop them. There are soooooo many options now, various types of pill, IUD, implant, injection etc which claim to be able to reduce flow, reduce pain, reduce frequency or stop your periods all together. Until you've explored these possible solutions I don't really think you have the right to take time off. Not if you ever want to be taken seriously in your studies or your career.

I don't meant to sound really harsh, but if you're not willing to sort it out then it's women like you who make it harded for other women to be treated as equals to men in the workplace.

And I can't understand anyone who would rather choose to be in cripling pain once a month than just getting on with their lives, for something as trivial and normal, that almost every second person on the planet has to deal with.
I think that naturally women are meant to rest when they are on their period because if it is left completely as it is with no pain killers of hormones, then yes it is probably extremely painful and uses a lot of energy, I know mine was like that.

But of course, as women, we fought for the right to work and to be equal to men. Even though naturally, we should really be resting when on our periods and when pregnant, and then looking after our babies. But we got what we wanted, we were given the right to work and to be treated (pretty much) equal to men in the workplace. So for that reason, no we shouldn't get time off.

I'm not an anti-feminist by the way, I like the fact that I have the choice to work. I'm just saying that naturally, we are not meant to. And now luckily, we have unnatural methods of putting up with it so we can work. We asked to be treated as equal to men, so that's what we get. It would be unfair of us to get extra days off in my opinion.

Latest

Trending

Trending