Turn on thread page Beta

Don't you think women should get 2 days time off a month for periods? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genesis-ar92)
    haha fair enough! I could not think of a biological explanation :P unless you were pregnant :ninja: wow

ok im curious not trying to be rude, is this to stop periods, or prevent you getting pregnant? Surely you can`t have that much sex to need an injection every three months. Again sorry quite personal and stuff feel free to neg me and hit me
    Haha oh yeah, forgot about that one :facepalm:

I got it for contraception, but the lack of periods is a very nice bonus I have to say! Erm, I think you've misunderstood - it means I can't get pregnant for the whole of that three months (or at least I'm 99% safe), not that I only have sex once every three months! :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio~)
    well science is still discovering how the body works there are arguments for and against it I just happen to sort of agree with the latter. Im not saying you are wrong Id just rather stay as natural as possible plus I don't need contraception right now so it doesn't make sense.
    Surely more natural than swallowing painkillers though?
    And using hormones that are exactly the same as the ones that your body produces to stimulate pregnancy might seem unnatural but there are thousands of people who take "fake" insulin.
    I used to have exactly the same problem as you, would pass out 2-3 times a day and throw up, but I tried out 2 types of pill, the second type was a dream and now I'm fine.
    Give it a go or you don't really have a valid arguement, sorry *shrugs*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    Not really. Not all of us even have periods (I don't). If they're that bad get medication to get rid of them :dontknow:
    You are so lucky! Can i ask how come you dont have them?

ReputationRep:
    yes provided men get manflu off days as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GurlGamer)
    You are so lucky! Can i ask how come you dont have them?
    I get an injection every three months. It's for contraception, but the lack of periods is a very welcome bonus :p:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but that's a ridiculous suggestion. Imagine how much that would set women back in the workplace! The kind of problems yours give you are not normal for the majority of women, and everyone on here who does have it that bad (and I feel for you btw, mine have never needed more than 2 painkillers and a hot water bottle) has sorted it by going on the pill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KateRosie)
    I think just get on with it, if you're fainting then go to your doctors. But there's no need to take time off for just a period, you may as well get used to them now, you've got your whole life to put up with them yet.
    Something tells me that you don't have any idea about how painful periods can actually get.

ReputationRep:
    I get an injection every three months. It's for contraception, but the lack of periods is a very welcome bonus :p:
    Im so up for that :P
    So i just go to the doctors to get it then!?
    Whats it called, any side effects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GurlGamer)
    Im so up for that :P
    So i just go to the doctors to get it then!?
    Whats it called, any side effects?
    I've not had any, but apparently side effects can include weight gain, headaches, mood swings, breast tenderness and irregular bleeding. It can take up to one year for your fertility level to return to normal after the injection wears off, so it may not be suitable if you want to have a baby in the near future (I'm guessing this probably won't be an issue for you though!). Also, although for most people (7 in 10) periods stop altogether, for a few unlucky ones they become irregular/longer. It sounds pretty bad when you list it like that but most methods of contraception have risks though (the pill has loads! :eek:) and most people are fine.

The NHS give information about it here and there's more information here.

I was on the Pill but wasn't that keen on it, so I went to the doctor to get more information on the injection and the implant. I went for the injection and he gave it there and then. After that you just pop in every three months to the nurse

ReputationRep:
    I think that would just encourage some women to take time off as an excuse. I used to get really bad pain on my periods, and all I could do is sleep however more recently I've not had any problems and been able to function as normal. You should only take time off work/school with it if your in really bad pain.

ReputationRep:
    Haha oh yeah, forgot about that one :facepalm:

I got it for contraception, but the lack of periods is a very nice bonus I have to say! Erm, I think you've misunderstood - it means I can't get pregnant for the whole of that three months (or at least I'm 99% safe), not that I only have sex once every three months! :rofl:
    lol no I just didnt know why it was needed to last so long :P I guess it just upsets hormone balance

ReputationRep:
    Man up.

ReputationRep:
    I've not had any, but apparently side effects can include weight gain, headaches, mood swings, breast tenderness and irregular bleeding. It can take up to one year for your fertility level to return to normal after the injection wears off, so it may not be suitable if you want to have a baby in the near future (I'm guessing this probably won't be an issue for you though!). Also, although for most people (7 in 10) periods stop altogether, for a few unlucky ones they become irregular/longer. It sounds pretty bad when you list it like that but most methods of contraception have risks though (the pill has loads! :eek:) and most people are fine.

The NHS give information about it here and there's more information here.

I was on the Pill but wasn't that keen on it, so I went to the doctor to get more information on the injection and the implant. I went for the injection and he gave it there and then. After that you just pop in every three months to the nurse
    Thanks for all of the info, i think i will mull it over for a few days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    As long as blokes got the same so that they could lay in bed for 2 full days per month also.
    To be honest, women have dealt with it for the last few hundred years at work and havn't needed time off for it, so no way (unless its unpaid time off, obviously).
    Are you serious????

(Original post by chronic_fatigue)
    I vomit and faint when mine comes but I still go to school ecause its hard to catch up. You should go on the pill if its that bad, im not allowed to go on it so i just take paracetomol. Tbh i women stopped working 2 days a month for periods the men and and other people would have to cover for them which is unfair.
    You're "not allowed" to go on the pill??? Is that for medical reasons? It's terrible that you can't go on it for something as necessary as pain relief

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    I think that would just encourage some women to take time off as an excuse. I used to get really bad pain on my periods, and all I could do is sleep however more recently I've not had any problems and been able to function as normal. You should only take time off work/school with it if your in really bad pain.
    but how do you know if you will be in bad pain or not? Ive done this in the past Ive gone to college even though I feel weak and crampy from periods and fainted in class (though the pain wasn't that bad on that day), for some reason Ive had some weird phobia of fainting every since and I don't want the whole cycle to start again, although at uni I thought to myself don't be so soft, went out the cramps got bad waiting for a bus and I passed out at the bus stop lol. To me unless I can guarantee no or low period pain (usually on the second/third day) I just stay at home Im not risking fainting in public again I really can't imagine labour pains being any worse:confused: Though people say they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anglerfish)
    Man up.
    Id like to see you cope with it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    Are you serious????

You're "not allowed" to go on the pill??? Is that for medical reasons? It's terrible that you can't go on it for something as necessary as pain relief
    Actually I'm sorry I have made a mistake, women havn't worked for that long have they :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genesis-ar92)
    lol no I just didnt know why it was needed to last so long :P I guess it just upsets hormone balance
    Not really, you can get an injection that lasts only 8 weeks. It's for convenience really - it's far easier to get one injection every three months than more often, or take a pill everyday (IMO at least).

ReputationRep:
    Hear Hear!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio~)
    Id like to see you cope with it!
    A little sarcasm my dear. I highly doubt I could cope with it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.