(Original post by Peachesishere)
    Oh hmm....hahahaha. Ow that was so hilarious it hurt. :|

I know it's not going to happen, so there's no need to be afraid (:
    that hurt? ahh wow you must bruise like a peach :zomg:

ReputationRep:
    oh wells, i dont get enough sex to even know about this haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio~)
    Ive just been struggling and trying to cope for an hour with period pain it used up so much energy I fell asleep straight after lol. But yea Im starting an health care course soon which only allows us to have 27 days off sick in 3 years before we have to 'make up time' whatever that means but were likely to be ill with cold/flu several times a year. Ive fainted twice in the past on a public street with period pain because I 'had to attend' it just makes me panic and go all lightheaded for some reason I was thinking though I think women should be able to have 2 days off a month, paid or unpaid I don't care, because theres no way Im risking going through all this when Im out or working whatever. I take mefanemic acid and people might say take something stronger or go on the pill but I think why should I, nature intended us to rest when on a period its natural why should we load ourselves with pills when we are already contributing to society for hours everyday? Im going to tell occupational health when I go for the checkup before the course Ive no idea what they'l say but I want to be at home when Im struggling through all this not fainting.

What do you think though?
    :eek3: If they're this bad you need to stop them. There are soooooo many options now, various types of pill, IUD, implant, injection etc which claim to be able to reduce flow, reduce pain, reduce frequency or stop your periods all together. Until you've explored these possible solutions I don't really think you have the right to take time off. Not if you ever want to be taken seriously in your studies or your career.

I don't meant to sound really harsh, but if you're not willing to sort it out then it's women like you who make it harded for other women to be treated as equals to men in the workplace.

And I can't understand anyone who would rather choose to be in cripling pain once a month than just getting on with their lives, for something as trivial and normal, that almost every second person on the planet has to deal with.

ReputationRep:
    I think that naturally women are meant to rest when they are on their period because if it is left completely as it is with no pain killers of hormones, then yes it is probably extremely painful and uses a lot of energy, I know mine was like that.

But of course, as women, we fought for the right to work and to be equal to men. Even though naturally, we should really be resting when on our periods and when pregnant, and then looking after our babies. But we got what we wanted, we were given the right to work and to be treated (pretty much) equal to men in the workplace. So for that reason, no we shouldn't get time off.

I'm not an anti-feminist by the way, I like the fact that I have the choice to work. I'm just saying that naturally, we are not meant to. And now luckily, we have unnatural methods of putting up with it so we can work. We asked to be treated as equal to men, so that's what we get. It would be unfair of us to get extra days off in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by make-cookies-not-war)
    I think that naturally women are meant to rest when they are on their period because if it is left completely as it is with no pain killers of hormones, then yes it is probably extremely painful and uses a lot of energy, I know mine was like that.

But of course, as women, we fought for the right to work and to be equal to men. Even though naturally, we should really be resting when on our periods and when pregnant, and then looking after our babies. But we got what we wanted, we were given the right to work and to be treated (pretty much) equal to men in the workplace. So for that reason, no we shouldn't get time off.

I'm not an anti-feminist by the way, I like the fact that I have the choice to work. I'm just saying that naturally, we are not meant to. And now luckily, we have unnatural methods of putting up with it so we can work. We asked to be treated as equal to men, so that's what we get. It would be unfair of us to get extra days off in my opinion.
    *Hugs*
    This being the point - equal rights are a good thing, but we can't go around giving endless handouts to women in jobs, partly just because it makes them harder to employ.

My parents run a couple of small businesses - right now, within a few months of each other, two of the female staff have gone on maternity leave, and it's costing us a fortune. It's a bit tough to bring your business through the worst recession in 70 years if you've got less staff all of a sudden.
    It's something they have to keep in mind when choosing to employ women in their late 20's/early 30's - they pose a great financial risk. Before anyone accuses me of sexism, we employ roughly equal numbers of men/women at any one time, since we try not to discriminate on a gender basis, but as a business we'd probably do better employing just men at this point.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, surely they can't put it in your contract that you can only be ill a certain number of days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TK2 King Pin)
    that hurt? ahh wow you must bruise like a peach :zomg:

Ahh there he goes again.
    You're a witty little fella you know. :dry:

ReputationRep:
    No, having your period doesn't make you disabled.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I don't think it would do us any favours. Employers would prefer male employees more if we started having 'lady times' off work.

Still though, it's an annoying (understatement!) thing to have to go through all the time especially if you don't want to use medication. Ah wells, the only option is to suffer and put up with it!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.