Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How long until you're longer considered a "graduate"? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The reason I ask is that I'm planning on taking a year out and going on a working holiday abroad after I graduate, and when I come back I'd like to apply for "graduate" opportunities. At that point it will have been a year since I graduated, so I don't want to fail their requirements because of that. Does it depend on the company, or is there a standard?

Also, when are you considered to have graduated - when you've finished your course, or when you've gotten your diploma at your graduation ceremony?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you'd still be considered for graduate positions. After all, you presumably won't have had relevant work experience to qualify you for anything higher. I doubt many companies have a hard limit on when they no longer consider someone a graduate. But I guess if you graduated 10 years ago and haven't had a graduate level job since then they'd probably wonder why.

Officially, it's probably not until you receive your graduation certificate (normally done at the ceremony). But I wouldn't have thought many companies would care about that formality. They'd probably want to know your results before commiting to hiring you though. I don't think I was ever asked for proof that I'd graduated. Although my university tutor was one of my references, so he probably confirmed it. And the fact I had a vague idea of what I was talking about in the interview might have counted as evidence that I did a degree.

ReputationRep:
    Your a graduate when you get the certificate.

All companies will accept people for at least two years after graduating onto 'grad' schemes. Then it varies. However, if you're trying to get in first time round then its a bit risky but upto you.

ReputationRep:
    It's generally quite flexible now because of new age discrimination law. After 1-3 years of graduating you will certainly be able to apply for 99% of graduate schemes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azimuth)
    The reason I ask is that I'm planning on taking a year out and going on a working holiday abroad after I graduate, and when I come back I'd like to apply for "graduate" opportunities. At that point it will have been a year since I graduated, so I don't want to fail their requirements because of that. Does it depend on the company, or is there a standard?

Also, when are you considered to have graduated - when you've finished your course, or when you've gotten your diploma at your graduation ceremony?
    Some companies allow you to apply for their grad schemes and choose your start date.
    E.g. you can apply sometime in early 2011 for a grad scheme starting in summer 2011 but say you would like to join the next cycle of intakes i.e. summer 2012

This way you can go on holiday knowing you have a great grad job in the bag waiting for you on your return!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _findthecolour_)
    It's generally quite flexible now because of new age discrimination law. After 1-3 years of graduating you will certainly be able to apply for 99% of graduate schemes.
    Bad information.
    As Quady mentioned the industry standard is two years.
    Some will be less, a rare few may be more.

But 3 years after graduating you would NOT be "able to get onto 99% of graduate scheme".
    If you're going to use facts and figures please source your claims; don't give people false hope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slick 'n' Shady)
    Some companies allow you to apply for their grad schemes and choose your start date.
    E.g. you can apply sometime in early 2011 for a grad scheme starting in summer 2011 but say you would like to join the next cycle of intakes i.e. summer 2012

This way you can go on holiday knowing you have a great grad job in the bag waiting for you on your return!
    To be honest I think the in current climate most business are reviewing graduate recruitment regularly and so this kind of deferred scheme is likely to be difficult to come by at the moment.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.