The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

why dont you take a year out, spend the time getting good work experiance (it is out there you just havnt looked/tried hard enough) and apply to medicine next year then you will have 4 med schools to apply to with a much better chance.

doing pharmacy with the hope of transfering to medicine would be highly competative (so much more than applying to med as school leaver with gap), then lets say you dont get to transfer (because they will expect you to have relevant work experiance which you clam you cant get) then you will have to do 4yrs of pharm before you can apply again.

also is nottingham the only place you applied to?
1001 Chiko
Why did you choose dentistry, and why would you switch to medicine after choosing dentistry? Honest answer now, none of the generic ***** you've been taught to regurgitate to interview panels...

You tell 'em, son.
Reply 22
Medic1992
My Back up choice is pharmacy at Nottingham ( Which I have an offer for). I was wondering if you do well in the first year in Pharmacy then can you transfer to Medicine?...

No, you cannot do that.
Dentistry--->Pharmacy--->Medicine?

I don't think you know what you want! Finding it "interesting" aint enough when the hard work and long hours set in.

Transferring degrees in your second year aint gunna happen. Medicine is effort enough to get in, you'll be competing with amazing students all over the country/world and graduates who actually FINISHED their degrees. Many Unis do NOT do transfers!

Give us all some good reasons why medicine is your true vocation and we can suggest more...sorry to sound bitchy but you seriously need to do volunteering or something (med aint just surgery/diagnostics-its about REAL people). Volunteering positions are everywhere...if you want med that bad you will make the effort.

Nuff said.
Reply 24
Nottingham's Medicine course wants a B for GCSE English anyway.

http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=187

All this is also throwing me - "Medic1992" did work experience with a dentist, wants to apply for medicine and applied for pharmacy :/
Reply 25
Grade C for GCSE English? Sorry no chance at all, just do pharmacy or a bioscience and apply for GEP.
Reply 26
petzneo
No, if anything the only time they would let you transfer is year 1 and thats if you get above 70% and hassle the admission tutors like mad so that they can consider you.

Otherwise, past that they will just say go and finish your degree and apply....trust me I know :smile:

Was you in a similar position?
I think Grad entry is your best bet tbh.
what about resitting english GCSE and taking a gap yearE
Reply 29
looking243
Was you in a similar position?

Yep, I emailed almost every med school in the country and they told me to finish my degree and my own pharmacy head told me the same and that transferring won't happen.

And funnily enough the year after they bring about this: http://www.brighton.ac.uk/pharmacy/news/2009/med-school-interview.php

lool but I can't transfer due to the fact that I'm now in year 2 and that I don't have the A level grades (if I had known I would have retaken some of my modules and got the grades)

But thats water under the bridge :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending