Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as I got a range of good grades in my GCSEs I was told by many people to continue to keep my options open at A-Level, so I chose some widely varied A-Levels, however after talking to a teacher recently they said that I have really just closed my options off. So I was just wondering what everyone else thinks. My plan is to study Geography or Computing or both at uni. My AS subjects are:

Chemistry
    Computing
    Geography
    Sociology
    Critical Thinking

Any thoughts on these choices I have made would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds good to me, both logic and essay writing skills. Its a nice balance.

ReputationRep:
    I think you have a broad range of subjects. Each are very different, although could have been a little broader in the sense of including Maths, History or English but I think they are fine

ReputationRep:
    Mathematics? Heard of the subject before? English and Maths are the two subject that offer you the most choices.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    How about Geography and GIS (Geographic Information) - that subject uses both Geog and computing - places like UCL are really good for this. places like the Earth resources Institute use such graduates

ReputationRep:
    If you want to study Computer Science at the best unis you really need Maths to full A-Level (some even like you to have taken further maths).

They don't really see the computing course as being worth anything - theres too much variation in the teaching and the different exam boards.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry
    Computing
    Geography
    Sociology
    Critical Thinking

Ok.........don't think sociology is strong tho....maths/eng/hist would be a lot better as others have pointed out

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering-

What exactly is Critical Thinking? I'm in year 11 and I know my school offers it optionally in the Sixth Form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Just wondering-

What exactly is Critical Thinking? I'm in year 11 and I know my school offers it optionally in the Sixth Form.
    lol, nothing special and nothing especially credited for

ReputationRep:
    Maths, English, Chemistry and Physics/Geography/Biology are pretty much the A-levels that will enable you to go on and do any number of courses.

Chemistry is needed for medicine etc, english for anything like law, and maths is plain useful!

ReputationRep:
    very good all rounder subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Even at Salford they wanted me to have A level maths to do computer science. They said that they would take me without but I would have to maths classes as well to A level standard.

That put me right off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Just wondering-

In my sixth form, everybody got made to choose between Citizenship and Critical Thinking as an extra AS Level. (Neither is available to full A Level at the moment.) I chose Citizenship, but a lot of my friends chose Critical Thinking. Some of them seemed to think that it was a bit like Philosophy, most of them just seemed to think that it was a load of weird crap that they'd never use. Also, I have some really clever friends who got all As in their other subjects who only managed C or D for Critical Thinking.

Basically, the only thing that either Citizenship or Critical Thinking seem to have going for them is that they aren't General Studies.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do Computing at a good university then you have to do Maths A-level.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.