Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does it annoy you if people randomly start chatting to you on fb or msn? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Or do you think it's friendly?

When I get bored I want to chat to people on there but I get so worried I'm going to annoy them! Especially the guys! I don't mean people I hardly know, I mean friends but not my closest friends.

I get scared to talk to guys I like in case I annoy them and they block me or something. I guess I have the assumption that if they want to talk to me then they would start a conversation, therefore when they don't I don't either.

Unless the internet goes retarded I am nice to people that start talking to me but I know everyone isn't like that! Do you think it is friendly and be up for a chat? Or ignore them or give them short answers to end the conversation as fast as possible?

Answers please!

ReputationRep:
    I doubt they would get annoyed at all considering that's what msn is for really. Random chat/conversations to pass the time. I personally don't mind it at all and will always chat back when someone starts a conversation with me.

If you assume that they would start a conversation if they wanted to talk to you then if everyone had the same mindset the whole world would go silent.

ReputationRep:
    err no.

If it annoyed me it would be because I don't like them, if that was true I wouldn't have them added.

ReputationRep:
    I only get annoyed if it's the sort of person that has to say something EVERYTIME you sign on...

*signs on*
    (two seconds later) HELLO! How are you? Good day? Yeah...

*conversation dies, because we had this exact conversation half an hour ago*

I also hate it when people speak to me just before I sign out! Otherwise it's fine

ReputationRep:
    Only if they're weirdos.

ReputationRep:
    And what IS the deal with airline food?

ReputationRep:
    Nah, if i'm on the internet i'm usually pretty bored so talking to people is better than browsing imo.

ReputationRep:
    Close friends I don't mind, but it gets annoying with people I barely know who try to speak to me every single day; I'm just not interested. It's why I appear offline on MSN and usually have FB chat offline as well.

ReputationRep:
    If it's always you initiating the conversation with any one given person on a semi-frequent basis, then yes, you most likely are annoying them. However, if it's sometimes you intiating and sometimes them, then you're probably not. An exception to this is how chatty they are in conversations - if they just reply to your questions and ask "you?", then yes, you most likely are annoying them.

ReputationRep:
    only if im having a **** hahaha

ReputationRep:
    i go on msn to chat too people. If i didnt want to talk to them id block them

ReputationRep:
    i only get annoyed if the convo goes as follows:

them: hey
    me: heya, how r u?
    them: im gd gd u?
    me: im good
    them: what you up to?
    me: nothing much you?
    them: yh same

Long silence for god knows how long and then i close the convo

ReputationRep:
    No, it's nice
    I do get anoyed though, when it's EVERYTIME i log in and im not close to them. And they call you babe . UGH! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowermaster91)
    i only get annoyed if the convo goes as follows:

them: hey
    me: heya, how r u?
    them: im gd gd u?
    me: im good
    them: what you up to?
    me: nothing much you?
    them: yh same

Long silence for god knows how long and then i close the convo
    lol yeah that annoys me. Don't see the point in that unless I've not talked to them in ages. Some people I've talked to on msn for so long that we don't even say hi, just the thing we wanted to start talking about.

It doesn't annoy me because if I knew it would I go offline on fb chat, or appear offline on msn.

ReputationRep:
    I would hate it but I have got round the i-dont-want-to-talk-to-you problem by not installing MSN on my computer, only logging into skype for pre-arranged calls and being "offline" by default on facebook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)
    If it's always you initiating the conversation with any one given person on a semi-frequent basis, then yes, you most likely are annoying them. However, if it's sometimes you intiating and sometimes them, then you're probably not. An exception to this is how chatty they are in conversations - if they just reply to your questions and ask "you?", then yes, you most likely are annoying them.
    That was a really good answer! People should listen to this :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)
    Oh

I have to initiate 99% of all my conversations online. Current sad mood I'm in that just made me sadder.

Might not help the one person who would cheer me up I think is avoiding me as I went on facebook chat just now and in 3 minutes they've signed on and off 3 times.

ReputationRep:
    I welcome it, because if i'm on msn it usually means i'm bored and i want people to talk to me.

ReputationRep:
    On MSN it's fine, unless it's really, really inane conversation with someone that I never start conversations with myself, but yet whom blocking seems a bit mean...

Facebook simply annoys me because it makes my laptop hurt

ReputationRep:
    Just signed into msn..

Heyyyyy

WUBU2?

ARghhhh stfu

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.