Turn on thread page Beta

Yay, justice is served over MMR contraversy watch

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8483865.stm

It's taken its time, but finally the man responsible for a huge unnecessary scare, didn't declare a personal interest in his findings..and worked in research which was unethical and quite frankly..shocking, has finally gotten what he deserved!

Joan Campbell, 51, from Glasgow, who believes the MMR jab caused her son to develop autism, said: "It is atrocious. They were just trying to protect children."
    - I don't think part of protecting children is paying them £5 at parties to give blood!

ReputationRep:
    This guys so called research caused thousands of children to develop measles unnecessarily!. I"m glad he has got what he deserved tbh. But it didnt stop me getting my children immunised against MMR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    This guys so called research caused thousands of children to develop measles unnecessarily!. I"m glad he has got what he deserved tbh. But it didnt stop me getting my children immunised against MMR.

Definately, we were discussing it today, i was a bit young at the time of the scare- but certainly feel sorry mainly for the families who believe MMR is still linked to autism, and blame it for their childs disorder- they're the real victims

This was in the Nelson Thornes AS Biology AQA book when talking about vaccinations :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I guess that's what happens when you try to blind people with science. You'd think that parents would try to find out what the "link" was and know that you cannot "catch" autism but rather you are born with it but hey. My godsister was diagnosed with autism shortly after getting the jab, but correlation does not mean causation.

ReputationRep:
    how naive you all are.

ReputationRep:
    *controversy.

Re: http://xkcd.com/386/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cardine92)
    I guess that's what happens when you try to blind people with science. You'd think that parents would try to find out what the "link" was and know that you cannot "catch" autism but rather you are born with it but hey. My godsister was diagnosed with autism shortly after getting the jab, but correlation does not mean causation.

It is a shame, what makes me wonder if the media are partly to blame also however

the sample size was 12..it doesn't take a genius to work out how unreliable the study was just from the sample size alone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12ian34)
    *controversy.

Re: http://xkcd.com/386/

*Dyslexia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    *Dyslexia
    Don't you mean Lysdexia?

:p: sorry, cheap shot!

EDIT:

A dyslexic man walks into a Bra...

ReputationRep:
    To be fair it is mostly the media that is to blame for this.

As far as I'm concerned, the Lancet shoulders as much of the blame as the scientists involved. The research wasn't falsified, it was just rubbish, and it should never have made it to publication.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.