Turn on thread page Beta

help! :( live 20 miles from a gym- 18 year old weighing 9.5 stone!equipment for SS? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

I am 18 and only weight 9.5 stones. I've read around the forum loads and starting strength +a heavy diet with many calories+lots of milk seem to be key to putting on weight.
    However, I live in a very small village in the countryside and my nearest proper gym is 20 miles away!
    Obviously going 3 times a week would be a nightmare so I'm thinking of investing into some decent equipment to try and get big and strong as I look very weak at the moment and way too skinny.

I have around £400 to spend and I've found something on ebay which I think is a good deal. Link:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Squat-rack-ben...item2c52c652ed

180kg weights so it seems ideal.
    Will I be able to gain lots of muscle using this?Anyone recommend any other equipment I need?

So far I have on my list:
    Squat rack
    Olympic barbell + weights
    Bench

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Looks alright but I don't know anything about buying weights.

But off the top of my head for variation: chin up bar.
    Backpack - put weights inside: and do weighted pushups/pullups, elevated pushups etc
    Towel over chin up bar for extra cool pull ups
    Also Bodylastics fitness bands or their equivalent are really good if you're working out from home and are very cheap.

ReputationRep:
    what height are you, OP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattx10)
    Hi guys

I am 18 and only weight 9.5 stones. I've read around the forum loads and starting strength +a heavy diet with many calories+lots of milk seem to be key to putting on weight.
    However, I live in a very small village in the countryside and my nearest proper gym is 20 miles away!
    Obviously going 3 times a week would be a nightmare so I'm thinking of investing into some decent equipment to try and get big and strong as I look very weak at the moment and way too skinny.

I have around £400 to spend and I've found something on ebay which I think is a good deal. Link:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Squat-rack-ben...item2c52c652ed

180kg weights so it seems ideal.
    Will I be able to gain lots of muscle using this?Anyone recommend any other equipment I need?

So far I have on my list:
    Squat rack
    Olympic barbell + weights
    Bench

Thank you!
    if you can get the pull up bar for the one which hangs of the door its called: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Iron-Total-U...4708309&sr=8-1
    That is really good for upper body which I use and will help with your training, I think you can do loads with the free weights and a bench so I think you are pretty much ready for that...

ReputationRep:
    Anyone recommend any other equipment I need?
    The essentials (cheap, versatile, take up very little space, etc):

1) Pullup/chinup bar

2) 18" dumbbell bars

3) Enough 5 and 10kg plates to make one (or even two) 50+kg dumbbells

4) Ab wheel

If you have a little more money and/or space:

5) Olympic Barbell

6) Rack and/or power cage (you can manufacture one out of scaffolding for a fraction of the cost)

And last of all:

7) Bench - unless you intend on being a powerlifter it isn't necessary and the vast majority of people get preoccupied with the bench at the expense of everything else

Will I be able to gain lots of muscle using this?
    Resistance is resistance whether it comes from iron, your body, etc. As long as you have a decent diet, strive to improve and are consistent you will gain muscle.

Build an exercise habit with bodyweight exercises and/or some heavy dumbbell work before you invest $$$ on a lot of kit. Likewise get reading some decent literature so that you know how best to use what you've got.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    The essentials (cheap, versatile, take up very little space, etc):

1) Pullup/chinup bar

2) 18" dumbbell bars

3) Enough 5 and 10kg plates to make one (or even two) 50+kg dumbbells

4) Ab wheel

If you have a little more money and/or space:

5) Olympic Barbell

6) Rack and/or power cage (you can manufacture one out of scaffolding for a fraction of the cost)

And last of all:

7) Bench - unless you intend on being a powerlifter it isn't necessary and the vast majority of people get preoccupied with the bench at the expense of everything else

Resistance is resistance whether it comes from iron, your body, etc. As long as you have a decent diet, strive to improve and are consistent you will gain muscle.

Build an exercise habit with bodyweight exercises and/or some heavy dumbbell work before you invest $$$ on a lot of kit. Likewise get reading some decent literature so that you know how best to use what you've got.
    Ahh okay yeah thanks !

What do you make of this:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=190367290093?

it looks preety good and maybe as good as weights in a commercial gym?
    I'm really hoping SS works for me. 6ft+9 stone 8 is not a good look at all and it's just making my life a bit of a misery at the moment :o:

ReputationRep:
    oh and a swiss ball.
    You can do preacher curls, shoulder presses, ball squats against a wall with weights, different types of squats, all sorts of ab exercises, hip flexor, press ups on it, or elevated press ups on it...and a whole lot more.

ReputationRep:
    i would also like to know how tall the OP is because im 5'9 weigh about the same and i dont feel the need to work out.

ReputationRep:
    this might not be useful but I had a friend who was really skinny and she was trying to put on weight, she drank milk on a daily basis to try and gain weight, it didnt seem to do much for her so she now plays badminton on a weekly basis and other activities, which tire her out so that she ate more. maybe u could try that? because i know that equip can be quite expensive sometimes! Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    Ahh okay yeah thanks !

What do you make of this:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=190367290093?

it looks preety good and maybe as good as weights in a commercial gym?
    It's the usual cheap home gym kit - it will be ok for a beginner but as you get bigger and stronger you will probably need to get a beefier rack, bench and bar some time down the line.

(Original post by TerryTerry)
    oh and a swiss ball.
    You can do preacher curls, shoulder presses, ball squats against a wall with weights, different types of squats,
    No for any of those reasons - swiss balls are heavily overused often to detriment.

all sorts of ab exercises, hip flexor, press ups on it, or elevated press ups on it
    Maybe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    No for any of those reasons - swiss balls are heavily overused often to detriment.

Maybe.
    I think it provides good variation, but it's probably better if you want to burn fat because it works your core.

ReputationRep:
    oh and a swiss ball.
    You can do preacher curls, shoulder presses, ball squats against a wall with weights, different types of squats, all sorts of ab exercises, hip flexor, press ups on it, or elevated press ups on it...and a whole lot more.
    isn't that meant to be bad for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    If it were I wouldn't have recommended it unless I was some sort of vindictive pig who gets off on other people's future pain.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to go to the gym in order to work out.

Buy a pair of running shoes and to everyone's surprise, run...

(Original post by Stalin)
    You don't need to go to the gym in order to work out.

Buy a pair of running shoes and to everyone's surprise, run...
    Running is the means to strength and muscular development? Christ. We really have been going badly wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainy)
    Running is the means to strength and muscular development? Christ. We really have been going badly wrong.
    Worked for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Refina)
    this might not be useful but I had a friend who was really skinny and she was trying to put on weight, she drank milk on a daily basis to try and gain weight, it didnt seem to do much for her so she now plays badminton on a weekly basis and other activities, which tire her out so that she ate more. maybe u could try that? because i know that equip can be quite expensive sometimes! Good Luck
    if you have a feeling your information is not useful, why dont you just, you know, do yourself a favor and not post.

ReputationRep:
    Worked for me
    Thats because you are a tool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    Worked for me
    To get big strong muscles? That's what the OP is wanting.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.