Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

help! :( live 20 miles from a gym- 18 year old weighing 9.5 stone!equipment for SS? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18, 6ft 1 and currently 11st 9lbs.

If I hadn't started weights a year ago I think I'd be under 11 stone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by analk)
    if you can get the pull up bar for the one which hangs of the door its called: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Iron-Total-U...4708309&sr=8-1
    That is really good for upper body which I use and will help with your training, I think you can do loads with the free weights and a bench so I think you are pretty much ready for that...

just ordered one of them been looking for a good one for ages - didnt like the one from argos though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainy)
    Running is the means to strength and muscular development? Christ. We really have been going badly wrong.
    ERM, looks like someone's forgotten about the good-ol' sprint training...

Running, particularly uphill, strengthens the quads, hamstrings and calves, while also providing work for the stomach muscles.

Running won't make anyone hugely built like weight training, but it targets a helluva lot of muscle groups. It helps with aerobic fitness, increases the appetite and builds leg muscle. Also, if someone has low bodily fat anyway, the muscle definition gained from running will be very obvious. Of course, running could always be combined with anaerobic weight training and things, but I don't believe it should be disregarded entirely as an option, particularly when living in the country side.

(Original post by Sophie's life is Average)

Running, particularly uphill, strengthens the quads, hamstrings and calves, while also providing work for the stomach muscles.

Running won't make anyone hugely built like weight training, but it targets a helluva lot of muscle groups. It helps with aerobic fitness, increases the appetite and builds leg muscle. Also, if someone has low bodily fat anyway, the muscle definition gained from running will be very obvious. Of course, running could always be combined with anaerobic weight training and things, but I don't believe it should be disregarded entirely as an option, particularly when living in the country side.
    It won't make you built at all.

What ********.

Don't post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophie's life is Average)

Another female without a clue, do you even know what intensive sprint training entails?

(Original post by Bishamon)
    Another female without a clue, do you even know what intensive sprint training entails?
    It can be quite amusing can't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kash:))
    To get big strong muscles? That's what the OP is wanting.
    Yep, my thighs are solid as stone now, I'll concede that I'd been playing football for 11 years prior to the running, however I've defintiely seen and felt a difference.

And, as I've said before, you don't necessarily need to go to the gym to develop your muscles. If you want to develop your arms, start using your body(i.e lift heavy objects), it's the same principle as the gym. The only difference is you're not surrounded by sweaty men.

(Original post by Stalin)
    Yep, my thighs are solid as stone now, I'll concede that I'd been playing football for 11 years prior to the running, however I've defintiely seen and felt a difference.

And, as I've said before, you don't necessarily need to go to the gym to develop your muscles. If you want to develop your arms, start using your body(i.e lift heavy objects), it's the same principle as the gym. The only difference is you're not surrounded by sweaty men.
    Lmao.

Oh yeah I bet you have put inches on your thighs :rolleyes:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    Lmao.

Oh yeah I bet you have put inches on your thighs :rolleyes:.
    Not inches, but they're far more muscular looking and my fitness level is a hell of a lot better. I'd say it was a success and only cost me £40.

Not inches, but they're far more muscular looking and my fitness level is a hell of a lot better. I'd say it was a success and only cost me £40.
    So it's took you over 9 years and you haven't even put an inch on?

Doesn't seem logically a success too me.

ReputationRep:
    It can be quite amusing can't it?
    deliciously...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chilla1990)
    just ordered one of them been looking for a good one for ages - didnt like the one from argos though
    alright cool.. keep at it and I recommend getting IRON weights I hate the plastic ones and the iron ones have always been the best.

ReputationRep:
    So it's took you over 9 years and you haven't even put an inch on?

Doesn't seem logically a success too me.
    Where did you get 9 years from?

I quit playing amateur football 3 years ago, and started running 4 months ago. I've bulked up.

Where did you get 9 years from?

I quit playing amateur football 3 years ago, and started running 4 months ago. I've bulked up.
    You mean you have lost fat so your "muscle" shows more?

You don't put muscle on running, its not hard to grasp.

How much weight have you put on?

ReputationRep:

No, I haven't lost fat as I wasn't overweight/fat/obese.

If anything I've gained muscle about 2.5kg of it.

ReputationRep:

Yes, you do gain muscle when running.

No where near to the extent you do if you were lifting heavy weights, you mean.

No, I haven't lost fat as I wasn't overweight/fat/obese.

If anything I've gained muscle about 2.5kg of it.
    Just because your not overweight doesn't mean you can't lose fat :facepalm:.

5.5lbs in 4 months is hardly a great return its quite poor, even if it was all muscle which it won't be in the slightest.

Yes, you do gain muscle when running.

No where near to the extent you do if you were lifting heavy weights, you mean.
    If any increase it is one not noticeable and should not be advised to someone who wants to gain muscle as as i said, if any it is a horrendously poor way.

ReputationRep:
    If any increase it is one not noticeable and should not be advised to someone who wants to gain muscle as as i said, if any it is a horrendously poor way.
    Oh, I didn't mean it would be advisable to someone who wants to gain muscle.

Agree with what you've just said :yep:

Did you use to have an avatar with little creatures jumping around? I like that..

Oh, I didn't mean it would be advisable to someone who wants to gain muscle.

Agree with what you've just said :yep:

Did you use to have an avatar with little creatures jumping around? I like that..
    Yer i'm not a sub anymore so can't use it, ah well.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.