Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hay guyz!

Okay, this thread I'm making on the behalf of my youngest brother, but I'd really appreciate any help or advice anyone may have, as medicine isn't exactly my thing.

He is currently in Year 10, and after some pretty appalling work experience at a shop (heh) he's decided he wants to go into something demanding, professional, worthwhile and interesting.

Medicine was obviously his first choice, with banking and law coming after: but he seems to be really into medicine, not to mention he's interested in the sciences more than anything else.

Now, my partner is a secondary teacher, and says he is in the top 3% percentile nationwide - I'm not certain what this really means - but apparently he's just passed his first two GCSE exams at 100% each, which I believe were Mathematics and Statistics. He is supposed to get a full house of A* results in his GCSEs, and wants to take Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Economics at A Level. I'm going to simply assume that, grades-wise, he is okay for medicine. Provided he continues excelling, 3-5 A's in these subjects should be okay - am I right? What is the essential choice he should retain for medicine?

Would these choices be alright for a medical applicant? I think he's thought ahead well and hedged his bets with Maths and Economics, just in case. Would this be frowned upon by a medical school?

Now, another thing I don't really know about is work experience. To date, he hasn't had any work experience save that little stint in a supermarket. Am I right in assuming a medical school will want some experience in an applicant? What kind of things could he start doing at his current age? Is there anything he could do now, or pick up on in the next year or two?

Ultimately though, what is he forgetting, if anything? What else should he consider? Like I said, medicine really isn't my area so I'd appreciate any advice from the more knowledgable lurkers and posters here.

Many thanks guys.

ReputationRep:
    he should drop maths and put english in IMO, leaves more options open. english is a good a level for pretty much any degree i believe

ReputationRep:
    Great grades and excellent choice of A-levels.

Work Experience for medicine is VERY VERY IMPORTANT get him out there doing some! Voluntary work in a hosiptal is necessary. Vol work in a care home on top of that shows dedication etc etc. Its not AS IMPORTANT in year 10, but from year 11 onwards he needs to get out there.

A part time job in a hospital (they hire student phlebotomists often) is the best of both worlds - money AND experience. So yeah. That and some voluntary work'd be good. Also see if he can arrange any medical summer schools/observe operations/work shadowing of a hospital figure etc.

He needs loads of medical stuff to look good on his personal statement which he'll write in two years to send to universities.

Plus sport/instrument shows variety, espcially if he has some form of certificate for it. Whatever he can come up with. Medicine is VERY competetive.

I wish him the best of luck

ReputationRep:
    His AS level choices are fine.

Most medical schools will want evidence of an effort being made to find out about a career in medicine and ensure that it is a vocation that will suit them. This is often in the form of work experience and voluntary work. It can be difficult getting such experience so the sooner he can start sorting that out the better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devil in Your Details)
    Hay guyz!

Okay, this thread I'm making on the behalf of my youngest brother, but I'd really appreciate any help or advice anyone may have, as medicine isn't exactly my thing.

He is currently in Year 10, and after some pretty appalling work experience at a shop (heh) he's decided he wants to go into something demanding, professional, worthwhile and interesting.

Medicine was obviously his first choice, with banking and law coming after: but he seems to be really into medicine, not to mention he's interested in the sciences more than anything else.

Now, my partner is a secondary teacher, and says he is in the top 3% percentile nationwide - I'm not certain what this really means - but apparently he's just passed his first two GCSE exams at 100% each, which I believe were Mathematics and Statistics. He is supposed to get a full house of A* results in his GCSEs, and wants to take Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Economics at A Level. I'm going to simply assume that, grades-wise, he is okay for medicine. Provided he continues excelling, 3-5 A's in these subjects should be okay - am I right? What is the essential choice he should retain for medicine?

Would these choices be alright for a medical applicant? I think he's thought ahead well and hedged his bets with Maths and Economics, just in case. Would this be frowned upon by a medical school?

Now, another thing I don't really know about is work experience. To date, he hasn't had any work experience save that little stint in a supermarket. Am I right in assuming a medical school will want some experience in an applicant? What kind of things could he start doing at his current age? Is there anything he could do now, or pick up on in the next year or two?

Ultimately though, what is he forgetting, if anything? What else should he consider? Like I said, medicine really isn't my area so I'd appreciate any advice from the more knowledgable lurkers and posters here.

Many thanks guys.

His (potential) grades and subjects are completely fine and surpass the entry requirements.
    For work experience: hospital or Gp would be great, if that is not possible then relevant experience in a caring environment (e.g nursing home) would also be good.
    Additionally long term volunteering would also be very beneficial.

If he is thinking about things this early then he probably has a good chance of success.

P.S you are in the sixth form and in a relationship with a teacher (obviously from somewhere else)!
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Alot of my friends did voluntary work at elderly homes and I doubt there is any age limit on that. Something about being in a caring environment :/ Also just phone up all the hospitals and ask the worst they can say is no. Also ask his school they might have contacts, I don't know what it's like in England but in S4 up here we all have work experience and so the teachers usually have a list of places willing to take on someone for work experience xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t3h_y0u553f)
    His (potential) grades and subjects are completely fine and surpass the entry requirements.
    For work experience: hospital or Gp would be great, if that is not possible then relevant experience in a caring environment (e.g nursing home) would also be good.
    Additionally long term volunteering would also be very beneficial.

If he is thinking about things this early then he probably has a good chance of success.

P.S you are in the sixth form and in a relationship with a teacher (obviously from somewhere else)!
    Hehe, I'll just address the last part of your post first - I'm actually going on 24 years old. I just applied to university later on as I had a career I kind of fell into when I was younger. No sixth-form naughtiness, rest assured.

Now, in regard to voluntary work, there are quite a few things I can help him with but they aren't directly related to health or medicine - would this matter that much? Or is the voluntary aspect enough?

I assume there are certain times of the year hospitals or homes take on school kids for work experience? Or do they operate on a rolling basis?
    Edit: Thanks lyrical_lie, you answered my next question!

I'm trying to help him out as much as possible as I didn't get much help and I struggled! So I'm trying to be a good brother :rolleyes:

Thanks, guy.

ReputationRep:
    just discovered rock and roll?

ReputationRep:
    He seems academically capable, but the step up from GCSE to AS is big, I got 100% at GCSE Maths for instance but I only scraped an A at AS, they are very different levels. Also, 5 A levels is a lot of work, and if he feels he can handle it then by all means! By remember its better to have 3A's than 5 not so good grades. Chemistry is a must, and many courses specify biology. I would say those two are a requirement really, the other subjects are up to him, he wont be disadvantaged by chosing maths and economics at all. Whilst he clearly is academic, work experience is a must.

However, in y10 he is a bit young, most work placements in hospitals require a minimum age of 16, and some areas such as surgery may require 18. Most jobs in hospitals require the applicant to be over 18. Volunteering is something worth doing, and I'm not aware of age limits, though he is quite young. Really I don't think he needs to do anything til the end of y11/start of y12, most people don't start til then, simply because of age or they hadn't decided on a course yet.

Although its a bit early, I would recommend considering a Nuffield science bursary at the end of y12, its something you apply for at the beginning of y12 and allows you to work in a research institute or univeristy in the summer. It's something that I put on my application and got asked loads about.

Even if he can't get much experience because of his age at this point, it would be a good time to join something like the St Johns Ambulance Cadets, aimed at 10-17 year olds. Duke of Edinburgh is another scheme, and you can start studying towards bronze at 14, silver at 15 or gold at 16. You don't have to have taken silver to gold etc.

Other than that he should probably wait til he's finished his GCSE's, and in that loooong summer he can start volunteering somewhere! Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    His choices are absolutely fine He could drop economics if he's not sure about medicine, but it definitely won't harm his chances of getting in if he keeps in. Work experience is usually done in the holidays before year 12 or actually in year 12. This way he can do it before he writes his personal statement but recent enough to be able to write about it and answer questions on it at interviews.

ReputationRep:
    there are quite a few things I can help him with but they aren't directly related to health or medicine - would this matter that much? Or is the voluntary aspect enough?

I assume there are certain times of the year hospitals or homes take on school kids for work experience? Or do they operate on a rolling basis?
    I think all voluntary work is a plus, not just medically related. If you can get it go for it!

Most hospital work experience I applied for had three times they took placements, that correlated with holidays, christmas, easter and just after exams in summer. Some may of course do it during half terms as well. As work experience is generally a week long, it can only really be done during the holidays, and hospitals generally take on a group for a week or so, rather than one at a time.

I think with homes, its more of a one day a week/ after school thing so they will take people when ever they have work available for a volunteer. Once he reaches 16, he will need a CRB to work in most homes, I don't think it applies before then.

voluntary work - charity shop/hospital/St. John Ambulance etc.
    work experience - G.P./hospital - he could email/send a letter to G.P.s and ask for work experience (that worked for me )

ReputationRep:
    He is young but can start doing work experience. The local hospital may run a programme, so it's worth checking their website and him contacting the relevent people. I did my first placement at 14, in year ten, so he may be able to, depending on local policy. Most are able to accept students all year round, but only so many at once, so it'll depend when he's able to do it
    Medicine is quite different to what my ideas of it were at 14 when I got my first experince, so it is really important he gets some experience to know for sure its what he really wants.

Volunteering is good anywhere - he could volunteer in a charity shop or something even - just try and have it involving interaction with people. I did mine in a hospital as a befriender for patients, which is something most hospital have schemes for - if he did that he'd be visiting patients for a couple of hours a week, chatting to them and keeping them company.

He is young still, so has loads of time to fit things in. The more he does, the stronger his application will look, and with lots of different activities and experience should have plenty to talk about at interview.

ReputationRep:
    Show him this. The rest of the wiki also has a lot of useful basic information about medical applications etc. Good luck to him!

ReputationRep:
    as for working in a hospital/nursing home: your brother will not be able to do that till he is 18. health and safty.
    best thing would be to apply for shadowing work (you usually have to be over 16) and get him to apply for some community volunteering.

ReputationRep:
    by simply reading/searching this forum most/all of the queries in the OP can be answered.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies guys, been very helpful.

And Malsy, seeing as I'm doing this on my brother's behalf, I don't have time to trawl the forum.

ReputationRep:
    His AS choices are fine. It's probably too early to do any work experience. He needs to do it closer to the time though, but you don't have to do lots - it's about how you talk about it and what you learnt more than how much you did. It would also be helpful for him to do some volunteering (eg at nursing home), and extracurricular activities which I presume his school will offer.

ReputationRep:
    Get him to start volunteering a couple hours a week in a nursing home or hospital. That way when it comes to applying he can say he did 2/3 years volunteering work which looks great to admission tutors! Probably the best time to start his medical work experience in a hospital/GP clinic is in the the summer after his GCSEs. Then he can also do more during year 12 if he wishes.

As others have said, look around the forums and many of your questions will be answered. Other things to consider are the UKCAT and the BMAT which are tests medicine, dentistry and vet applicants must sit as a requirement for most universities.

Thanks for all the replies guys, been very helpful.

And Malsy, seeing as I'm doing this on my brother's behalf, I don't have time to trawl the forum.
    Get him to trawl then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HotCoco.)
    Get him to trawl then?
    Agree with this.

It's great you want to help him but you should not spoonfeed him. He needs to know all this stuff himself, write letters to lots and lots of places, know about the UKCAT and what universities he should be thinking about - different Universities like different things from applicants, picking them carefully can mean the difference between getting an offer or not... he should be doing some of his own research and getting a hang of just how competitive this is. Bare in mind that even getting into medicine is a feat, never mind the stress of the course/career. He hasn't really done any research nor work experience, how the hell does he know what he is getting himself into? Don't let him put himself through the stress of applying unless he knows this is what he wants to do... not 'something he is considering' or an alternative to law. I don't think he can say that he knows he wants to medicine when he doesn't know what its about or how demanding the job is.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.