Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay here goes.
    I hate speaking exams for spanish and I know you're going to say why did I take spanish then but I was under the impression that i was going to do the exam with an external examiner. This seemed a lot less daunting and so I thought it was only a small part of the course and it wasn't worth me not taking the subject over one little thing. I also didn't think that it was a very good attitude to adopt in general.
    However today I've found out that the chances of me being able to have an external examiner for the oral are very slim due to the fact that the teachers want to do the orals with us. Apparantly we need 5 people to qualify for an external examiner and i'm the only one in my class who wants one :/
    One of my teachers is being really lovely about it all and is emailing the exam board to see if I can do my oral with the external examiner that is going to come in for the A2 orals however she did say she thought my chances were slim.
    The other teacher is just being immature to put it politely, and has decided that it won't be a problem for me- despite the fact they've never done an oral exam with me so have no idea what i'm like.
    I'm really not exagarating the situation here, for me this is just the worst thing they could've told me. The oral exams worth 30% and i'd like a B so by my maths i can't not do it either as the chances of me getting 100% in the rest of it are rather slim.
    I suppose I could do my oral with the teacher who is being really lovely but shes not as confident about doing the exams so i don't think she'd be all that keen on doing the exam with me because i'm so underconfident and on edge as it is in oral exams and i think she may be to cautious with me.
    At the moment its just a waiting game really- to see what the exam board says but near enough all the teachers in the language department have concluded that its more than likely going to be a no.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you not want to do it with the teacher in school, are they really horrible?

I share your pain, orals are the worst thing in the world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fortunecookie)
    Why do you not want to do it with the teacher in school, are they really horrible?

I share your pain, orals are the worst thing in the world
    No they're not horrible- well one of them is but the others really lovely but stresses quite easily and I'm scared she'd do that in the oral exam. I don't know why but I've always preffered the idea of doing the oral exam with an examiner.

ReputationRep:
    Are your nerves really really bad? That sucks. I hate oral exams too :-\ got a mock french AS next week - completely ******** it, but then that's mainly because I haven't written any answers to any of the questions...oops :]
    I'm not sure what you can do about it to be honest. I know we get an external examiner because my french teachers claim that they tend to give lower marks when they do it; they are more willing to give more marks when the examiner is external or something, which strikes me as strange but nevermind.

You could ask to have practise orals with the lovely teacher? during lunchtimes or something, make sure you are really confident that you can answer the questions well etc etc then you mightn't be so nervous :] she'd probably be willing to do it seeing as it's not the real thing :] do you think that'd help at all? Less formal situation = hopefully less nervewracking and will let you know what you need to improve on etc

Do you know what date your orals set for? We don't know yet...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowways)
    Are your nerves really really bad? That sucks. I hate oral exams too :-\ got a mock french AS next week - completely ******** it, but then that's mainly because I haven't written any answers to any of the questions...oops :]
    I'm not sure what you can do about it to be honest. I know we get an external examiner because my french teachers claim that they tend to give lower marks when they do it; they are more willing to give more marks when the examiner is external or something, which strikes me as strange but nevermind.

You could ask to have practise orals with the lovely teacher? during lunchtimes or something, make sure you are really confident that you can answer the questions well etc etc then you mightn't be so nervous :] she'd probably be willing to do it seeing as it's not the real thing :] do you think that'd help at all? Less formal situation = hopefully less nervewracking and will let you know what you need to improve on etc

Do you know what date your orals set for? We don't know yet...
    Yeh my nerves are terrible, I'm generally an anxious person as it is, but in the oral exams everything just gets 10x worse :/
    We dont even have any questions to prepare answers to yet which sucks :/
    I think I will ask her to practice a few times, but I'll wait till we have an answer from the exam board as I don't want to pester her. I think you're right though, hopefully will make it less formal.
    Nope we have no dates yet, thinking they'll be coming soon though as they seem to be sorting them out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.