Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

I'm sure that most people on the Photography forum will have heard about Ken rockwell, and perhaps read his articles (If you haven't - http://www.kenrockwell.com). I was wondering what are peoples opinions on his writing style and advice? I personally find him to be very very biased, and extremely arrogant (I shoot Nikon so it's less of a problem to me, but i;m sure that any canon shooters will quickly get annoyed). He always states how the camera dosen't matter but that he always prefers film anyway, and finishes it off by saying that film is the best investment, and they have less depreciation than digital ("Professional film cameras, like the superb professional Nikon N90s, can be bought for under $100. Buy one, and it will last you a decade or more."). He obviously hasn't researched the last point because many film SLRs now sit in the bargain box for £20 or less.

Please leave a comment about your opinion on his work?

ReputationRep:
    Some of his writing is informative on a very basic level, like often I find it easier to find out about specs of cameras through his site because they are laid out quite cleanly, black text on white background, in a clear linear fashion, rather than all compressed into a table - hope you know what I mean by this. But I think there's a limit, and some of it just becomes a bit ridiculous to read.

The whole Canon vs. Nikon thing, I'm not sure, although I will point out that he does really like Canon P&S's (which are very good in their own right).

As for the pricing thing, don't forget that some of his articles are several years old - you can often find the year somewhere near the top on the articles. These things change so regularly, I don't think you can hold it against anyone!

The best thing about Ken Rockwell? Mentioning the legendary Ken Rockwell facts once more!

http://blog.bahneman.com/content/ken...Rockwell_Facts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freecom2)
    The best thing about Ken Rockwell? Mentioning the legendary Ken Rockwell facts once more!

http://blog.bahneman.com/content/ken...Rockwell_Facts
    LOL! The Ken Rockwell facts are funny yet all so true

ReputationRep:
    He's not to be taken seriously at all.

Bear that in mind, and he's a little less abhorrent. He's still a complete and utter ****-wit though; some people who don't know better think he's a worthwhile source of information. I far prefer Michael Reichmann/Mike Johnston/Karen Nakamura (www.luminous-landscape.com / www.TheOnlinePhotographer.com / www.Photoethnography.com) personally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shmuxel)
    LOL! The Ken Rockwell facts are funny yet all so true
    They are a laugh everytime I read them!

ReputationRep:
    I find Ken Rockwell interesting, but with most things you read or see, have to be taken with a pinch of salt (he even admits this himself).

ReputationRep:
    I appreciate this in photo/digital imaging forum but I'm intruiged! Who is this Ken Rockwell, what is this phototgraphy subculture why is he hated????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NW86)
    I appreciate this in photo/digital imaging forum but I'm intruiged! Who is this Ken Rockwell, what is this phototgraphy subculture why is he hated????
    He does photos well but is also a bit of a knob.

For comparable equivalents, see: any other subculture, ever.

ReputationRep:
    Taken with a pinch of salt Rockwell is a useful resource.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BurningSnowman)
    He does photos well but is also a bit of a knob.

For comparable equivalents, see: any other subculture, ever.
    I personally hate his photos. There's nothing there which I wish I'd taken.

ReputationRep:
    Ken Rockwell facts

• Ken Rockwell wanted something to distract the lesser photographers, and lo, there were ducks, and flowers, and birds and macro lenses.
    • On Ken Rockwell's desktop, the Trash Icon is really a link to National Geographic Magazine
    • When Ken Rockwell went digital, National Geographic nearly went out of business because he was no longer phyically discarding photos
    • For every 10 shots that Ken Rockwell takes, 11 are keepers.
    • Circle of confusion? You might be confused. Ken Rockwell never is.
    • Ken Rockwell is the only person to have photographed Jesus; unfortunately he ran out of film and had to use a piece of cloth instead.
    • Ken Rockwell's shots are so perfect, Adobe redesigned photoshop for him: all it consists of is a close button.
    • Rockwell portraits are so lifelike, they have to pay taxes
    • Ken Rockwell doesn't use flash ever since the Nagasaki incident.

Honestly though... I doubt he is a pro, I know he has tons of gear but still the amount of BS he posts, well its not BS its just controversy. Hes like a misguided guiding light for the noobs, definitely take some grain of salt with his posts.

ReputationRep:
    ^

love this one:

"Ken Rockwell once designed a zoom lens. You know it as the Hubble Space Telescope."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shmuxel)
    Hey everyone,

I'm sure that most people on the Photography forum will have heard about Ken rockwell, and perhaps read his articles (If you haven't - http://www.kenrockwell.com). I was wondering what are peoples opinions on his writing style and advice? I personally find him to be very very biased, and extremely arrogant (I shoot Nikon so it's less of a problem to me, but i;m sure that any canon shooters will quickly get annoyed). He always states how the camera dosen't matter but that he always prefers film anyway, and finishes it off by saying that film is the best investment, and they have less depreciation than digital ("Professional film cameras, like the superb professional Nikon N90s, can be bought for under $100. Buy one, and it will last you a decade or more."). He obviously hasn't researched the last point because many film SLRs now sit in the bargain box for £20 or less.

Please leave a comment about your opinion on his work?
    I guess it depends on what kind of style you like, As a Nikon man myself, his biased view fits right in. But he does provide some very informative information, but he does like to chat on a little bit too much. When I look at buying new kit, I will look at his site, but only one source out of many.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deep Thought)
    Ken Rockwell facts

• Ken Rockwell wanted something to distract the lesser photographers, and lo, there were ducks, and flowers, and birds and macro lenses.
    • On Ken Rockwell's desktop, the Trash Icon is really a link to National Geographic Magazine
    • When Ken Rockwell went digital, National Geographic nearly went out of business because he was no longer phyically discarding photos
    • For every 10 shots that Ken Rockwell takes, 11 are keepers.
    • Circle of confusion? You might be confused. Ken Rockwell never is.
    • Ken Rockwell is the only person to have photographed Jesus; unfortunately he ran out of film and had to use a piece of cloth instead.
    • Ken Rockwell's shots are so perfect, Adobe redesigned photoshop for him: all it consists of is a close button.
    • Rockwell portraits are so lifelike, they have to pay taxes
    • Ken Rockwell doesn't use flash ever since the Nagasaki incident.

Honestly though... I doubt he is a pro, I know he has tons of gear but still the amount of BS he posts, well its not BS its just controversy. Hes like a misguided guiding light for the noobs, definitely take some grain of salt with his posts.
    The facts are funny and a good read but I agree with Deep Thought on this one. I think his ego is too over-inflated to stop him now though *hears an evil laugh echo across the internet from somewhere in America* "My favourite camera is the D40, it is literally the best camera out of all the pro stuff I own. If I'm grabbing a camera then I'm going to grab my D40 over kit worth thousands of dollars". He also calls the Nikon kit lens 'astonishing', or words to that effect. I think he spouts BS just because he can and just because people will listen. No doubt there may be some useful stuff on there but he's not the god he makes himself out to be.

ReputationRep:
    Wrotniak FTW!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    The facts are funny and a good read but I agree with Deep Thought on this one. I think his ego is too over-inflated to stop him now though *hears an evil laugh echo across the internet from somewhere in America* "My favourite camera is the D40, it is literally the best camera out of all the pro stuff I own. If I'm grabbing a camera then I'm going to grab my D40 over kit worth thousands of dollars". He also calls the Nikon kit lens 'astonishing', or words to that effect. I think he spouts BS just because he can and just because people will listen. No doubt there may be some useful stuff on there but he's not the god he makes himself out to be.
    Yeah you reverberated my exact thoughts. The fact he says this trash, and makes the D40 sound sooo great, is just leading the noobies into a false sense of security so to speak.

If the newcomers had no iota what they knew, then yes its somewhat beneficial. The thing is he doesn't tell it like it is. The D3x has a dynamic range far greater and more capable then the D40. Im sure if you yourself are a Nikon owner that you'd pick up the D3x instead of the d40 anytime.

The kit lens; 18-55mm isn't a bad lens, it can do more then you think, however with a small colony of ants adjusting the focusing, it is annoying to autofocus with, I find.

All of his shots are not great, even if they are snapshots. Im yet to see something to prove he knows how to operate a camera properly.

ReputationRep:
    Oh... he's a giant phallus

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.