Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys ^^
    I was wondering what are the best halls for first year in the city centre? Nice room, self catered. ensuite not that important
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wright Robinson/Chandos for cheap and cheerful - not en suite, but good location and value for money. Weston Hall for very nice (but quite small) rooms, set out in flats. Lots of international students, which means it can be a bit quiet sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    After living in Weston Hall last year, I don't recommend it. It's not good value for money and is owned by Opal, who seemed to do anything to scab extra money out of us at every opportunity. They also make you pay for the internet unlike most other halls, and the reception is only open 3 hours a day from 8am-11am, so collecting parcels etc. can be annoying. At least that's how it was when I lived there!

If I lived in that area again I'd go for Lambert/Fairfield or Chandos. I had a friend in Lambert who was paying less than me and had a bigger room. The kitchen wasn't quite as nice as those at Weston but I'd have preferred living there, plus it's an amazing location, very near Piccadilly train station.

ReputationRep:
    My advice would be live in Fallowfield. I would willingly have sacrificed my huge room in Chandos for any kind of halls social life like I would have had in Fallowfield, I found living on the North Campus boring and lonely.

ReputationRep:
    I'm having the same problem, i also want self catered and an en suite. i'm torn between sheavyn house and Richmond park and also Weston halls. I want it to be nice but also reallly social and lively
    which one would be best?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lora814)
    I'm having the same problem, i also want self catered and an en suite. i'm torn between sheavyn house and Richmond park and also Weston halls. I want it to be nice but also reallly social and lively
    which one would be best?
    Sheavyn.

ReputationRep:
    If you want lively don't go for weston, it's dead.

ReputationRep:
    Chandos is becoming Opal accommodation next year, fyi.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amziii)
    Chandos is becoming Opal accommodation next year, fyi.
    Interesting... Opal probably aren't even that bad, I dislike them but it probably isn't entirely their fault. I think moving in the year they do the changeover is probably not a good idea, that seemed to be where the problems arose in Weston Hall for me.

ReputationRep:
    How about Lambert Hall?

ReputationRep:
    ohhhh NOOOOOOOOOO

i applied for weston am i screwed????????

any1 applied for optometry 2010?
    x
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by funkymonkey20)
    ohhhh NOOOOOOOOOO

i applied for weston am i screwed????????

any1 applied for optometry 2010?
    x
    Why would you be screwed? Weston's lovley

ReputationRep:
    i have opted for weston,opal,george kenyon as my 3options in same order of preference.
    can i get some insight on the halls.

ReputationRep:
    grosvenor place is a hell of a lot of fun!
    its cheap and cheary.. no hidden costs

(Original post by chadV21)
    Hey guys ^^
    I was wondering what are the best halls for first year in the city centre? Nice room, self catered. ensuite not that important
    When I made my selection I chose Wright Robinson as the City Centre hall I preferred the most (the rooms are nice, fairly spacious and self-catered). If you've got the money - go for a super-single room - the space comes in handy.

Always go to the accommodation open day. I remember some of the city centre halls being quite crappy, but I can't remember which ones. Also - you will not get through all the accommodation in the one day, so plan which ones you want to see beforehand.

I personally prefer traditional halls, not only because I'm living in one, but because you get to know everyone in the hall. They tend to be catered though.

Also if you can get a bike - where you live doesn't matter so much. I can bike from St Anselm's Hall to the university in 15 minutes - so it really isn't that bad.

Avoid the likes of Owens Park if you're the more studious type - I heard that it's not ideal if you want to get your work done in your room!

That's it really. If you have anymore questions - feel free to PM me.

Darren

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DPLSK)
    When I made my selection I chose Wright Robinson as the City Centre hall I preferred the most (the rooms are nice, fairly spacious and self-catered). If you've got the money - go for a super-single room - the space comes in handy.

Always go to the accommodation open day. I remember some of the city centre halls being quite crappy, but I can't remember which ones. Also - you will not get through all the accommodation in the one day, so plan which ones you want to see beforehand.

I personally prefer traditional halls, not only because I'm living in one, but because you get to know everyone in the hall. They tend to be catered though.

Also if you can get a bike - where you live doesn't matter so much. I can bike from St Anselm's Hall to the university in 15 minutes - so it really isn't that bad.

Avoid the likes of Owens Park if you're the more studious type - I heard that it's not ideal if you want to get your work done in your room!

That's it really. If you have anymore questions - feel free to PM me.

Darren

you recommend buying bikes there? i thought it is tough to ride one there as it is a city.. i may be put up in weston or opal...need to travel to MBS west.. will you recommend bikes?

is there overnight parking at picadily?in case i travel smplace with train?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajeesh.aj)
    you recommend buying bikes there? i thought it is tough to ride one there as it is a city.. i may be put up in weston or opal...need to travel to MBS west.. will you recommend bikes?

You could walk from Weston to MBS in about 20 minutes, but I think your best bet by far would be to get an annual Unirider - a yearly bus pass costs around £175 and is invaluable considering the amount of usage most people get for that price.

If you wait until June/July, you can buy one from the Stagecoach website:

http://www.stagecoachbus.com/tickets...iversity_id=11

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyJ)
    You could walk from Weston to MBS in about 20 minutes, but I think your best bet by far would be to get an annual Unirider - a yearly bus pass costs around £175 and is invaluable considering the amount of usage most people get for that price.

If you wait until June/July, you can buy one from the Stagecoach website:

http://www.stagecoachbus.com/tickets...iversity_id=11
    hey that sounds good.. so it is btr dan renting or buying a bike? howz the route from weston to MBS?

and the unirider can be used to get a bus from weston to picadily too?

(Original post by ajeesh.aj)

Don't buy anything too fancy. I've had a mate of mine get his bike stolen and although he got another one - I wouldn't advise anyone to get a particularly fancy one because of that.

Buy a second-hand one for about £30-£60 - it'll do you just fine.

Bikes are inadvisable if you are living in the City Centre. Check Google Maps - as it can tell you the distance between your accommodation and MBS West and the time it would take to walk there. This will allow you make a more informed judgement about whether or not it is a wise idea to purchase a bike.

I hope this helps.

Darren

PS: Investing in a good bike is far cheaper and easier than buying a bus pass. When 30 people are waiting at the bus stop, when it's lashing down with rain and the bus is packed - provided you own a waterproof bag and coat - you'll wish you had a bike.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DPLSK)
    Don't buy anything too fancy. I've had a mate of mine get his bike stolen and although he got another one - I wouldn't advise anyone to get a particularly fancy one because of that.

Buy a second-hand one for about £30-£60 - it'll do you just fine.

Bikes are inadvisable if you are living in the City Centre. Check Google Maps - as it can tell you the distance between your accommodation and MBS West and the time it would take to walk there. This will allow you make a more informed judgement about whether or not it is a wise idea to purchase a bike.

I hope this helps.

Darren

PS: Investing in a good bike is far cheaper and easier than buying a bus pass. When 30 people are waiting at the bus stop, when it's lashing down with rain and the bus is packed - provided you own a waterproof bag and coat - you'll wish you had a bike.

ehy thanks...weston to MBS west is like 800m.. i think i will have a fair idea once am there..

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.