Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajeesh.aj)
    hey that sounds good.. so it is btr dan renting or buying a bike? howz the route from weston to MBS?

and the unirider can be used to get a bus from weston to picadily too?
    Far better than buying a bike, in my opinion. You can use the Unirider all over Greater Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DPLSK)

PS: Investing in a good bike is far cheaper and easier than buying a bus pass. When 30 people are waiting at the bus stop, when it's lashing down with rain and the bus is packed - provided you own a waterproof bag and coat - you'll wish you had a bike.

...there will be another bus along about 15 seconds after that one, and 15 seconds after that, and you'll generally find yourself and your bike squeezed between 4 or 5 of them anywhere down Wilmslow/Oxford Road. Surely waiting a miniscule amount of time for the warmth and relative comfort of the bus in winter is better than riding around in the rain and wind to get to Uni, especially if the road conditions are also bad?

If next year's Unirider is £180, people would only have to use the bus 3 or 4 times a week to get their money's worth out of the pass. Depending on where you go out and how often you need to go into the centre or for groceries, you could use the bus that many times in a day .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyJ)
    ...there will be another bus along about 15 seconds after that one, and 15 seconds after that, and you'll generally find yourself and your bike squeezed between 4 or 5 of them anywhere down Wilmslow/Oxford Road. Surely waiting a miniscule amount of time for the warmth and relative comfort of the bus in winter is better than riding around in the rain and wind to get to Uni, especially if the road conditions are also bad?

If next year's Unirider is £180, people would only have to use the bus 3 or 4 times a week to get their money's worth out of the pass. Depending on where you go out and how often you need to go into the centre or for groceries, you could use the bus that many times in a day .
    tnx

(Original post by AmyJ)
    Many people don't take the bus to university. The majority of people I know have to wake up at 7:30am in the morning to walk to university and they have to get off before 8:30am and only just about get to lectures (I can get there on time if I leave by 8:45am and I'm in Victoria Park campus). It depends entirely which buses you get - some come within 10-15 seconds of each other, others can take up to half an hour - I know, as I've taken a few.

Also buses aren't so nice when they're packed. It's happened once or twice to me.

If you purchase a decent set of mudguards and buy a waterproof coat - then it really isn't all that bad. Also there's a cycle lane cutting through the park and if you attend the bike rides during welcome week - you can take more cycle accessible routes.

As a cyclist I avoid Oxford Road anyway and take Upper Brook Street to avoid all the traffic - a bus has no choice in the matter (depends on the bus though).

(Original post by AmyJ)
    You will have saved £120 of that if you purchase a bike. It will take you almost as far as a bus journey would and the time difference wouldn't be too bad (you can get from Victoria Park Campus to the Renold building in about 20-30 minutes, which isn't that bad). It's also a decent form of exercise.

The only major problem with bikes is that they get stolen easily - hence buy one second-hand. Also everything needs to be waterproof and you need to look after your bike, but the cost benefits and the added mobility easily outweigh most problems you could have with owning a bike.

I used to take the bus everywhere so I'm aware of how convenient it can be sometimes. The main thing about owning a bike though is that you actually learn where things are - so when you need to get from point A to point B - there's no need to check bus schedules and the like.

I hope that's enough reasons to own a bike. I'm sure they're are many problems with owning a bike, but we'll come to them as they arise.

Darren

ehy thanks...weston to MBS west is like 800m.. i think i will have a fair idea once am there..
    I may have a vague idea of where it is. Try walking it first to get an idea of how far it is and then half that time - that's roughly how long it'll take you on a bike (it may take less time).

If you go out to bars and clubs a lot though - a bus pass may be more suited to you. For obvious reasons - you don't leave your bike outside of a bar or a club, so you will be forced to take the bus anyway.

Also if you don't get a set of mudguards and a decent waterproof coat and bag (or you could use an umbrella by fixing it to your bike) - you'll find that you'll get wet a lot and so will your work.

If you need anymore advice - just let me know. I haven't always been a cyclist - I just decided to become one specifically when I came to Manchester. I used to take the bus and walk everywhere. Please bear that in mind.

Darren

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DPLSK)
    I may have a vague idea of where it is. Try walking it first to get an idea of how far it is and then half that time - that's roughly how long it'll take you on a bike (it may take less time).

If you go out to bars and clubs a lot though - a bus pass may be more suited to you. For obvious reasons - you don't leave your bike outside of a bar or a club, so you will be forced to take the bus anyway.

Also if you don't get a set of mudguards and a decent waterproof coat and bag (or you could use an umbrella by fixing it to your bike) - you'll find that you'll get wet a lot and so will your work.

If you need anymore advice - just let me know. I haven't always been a cyclist - I just decided to become one specifically when I came to Manchester. I used to take the bus and walk everywhere. Please bear that in mind.

Darren
    thanks a lot..how do ppl commute when it snows? the parking in halls are charged i guess...what about in the business school?

thanks a lot..how do ppl commute when it snows? the parking in halls are charged i guess...what about in the business school?
    Roads are normally fine - provided you make an effort to use main ones. You'll get dirty snow all over your clothes w/o any mudguards though - I really need to get some personally!

Buses and cars tend to get stuck with the snow - don't travel at 50mph on your bike and you'll get past them easily and most importantly, safely.

What do you mean parking? Halls charge a fortune for car parking and I imagine you'd have to pay something similar for use of the university car park all year round (I have a friend who has a car).

My hall charges £10 for the bike shed (per year) and it is free to lock up your bike outside your building. They are not liable if anything happens to it though and you can't use the lockable bike sheds around the university - postgraudates and staff only.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DPLSK)
    Roads are normally fine - provided you make an effort to use main ones. You'll get dirty snow all over your clothes w/o any mudguards though - I really need to get some personally!

Buses and cars tend to get stuck with the snow - don't travel at 50mph on your bike and you'll get past them easily and most importantly, safely.

What do you mean parking? Halls charge a fortune for car parking and I imagine you'd have to pay something similar for use of the university car park all year round (I have a friend who has a car).

My hall charges £10 for the bike shed (per year) and it is free to lock up your bike outside your building. They are not liable if anything happens to it though and you can't use the lockable bike sheds around the university - postgraudates and staff only.
    thanks

thanks
    You're welcome. Remember always to make an informed decision and take the time to consider both options before you make your decision. I strongly advise against walking everywhere or taking a car everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    please like this page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Manche...85293001495128

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 15, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Manchester
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.