Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Skinny guy looking to just gain weight (muscle or not) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Yeah as the title says, I'm about 5"11 and I weigh around 9,9.5 stone. I'm getting tired of being a skinny little runt but do not have access to any gyms or have any equipment at home. What is the best way for me to gain weight, other than just by eating normally, because I've tried and tried and I still stay skinny. Is there anything anyone can recommend which will help me gain weight, I don't care if it's not muscle mass I'm just tired of being thin.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Eat more. [/thread]

ReputationRep:
    Eat.

And don't just eat more food at an amount you think is more, because it's probably only a couple hundred calories more a day.

What you need to do is calculate your BMR and add 500 or 1000 or whatever calories to it.

That's your target daily calorie intake.

Remember, 3500 calories equals 1lb in body fat; so 500 extra calories on top of your BMR each day equals 1lb of added body weight per week.

You should keep track of your calorie intake by writing down what you eat so you can stick to the target.

I also recommend you buy this because it has a lot of calories but also all your daily vitamins etc. with proteins and carbs.

Get to it, boy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RawJoh1)
    Eat more. [/thread]
    hey sorry I'm new to TSR but want to gain muscle mass (i'm skinner than OP at 18) but have an unusual situation. would you be able to take a look at my thread here:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1166318
    ?

thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    Eat more. In virtually every case that someone says they're already eating a lot, they don't know what a lot really means. What most people consider to be a lot of food would be a tiny diet to some of the guys on this board. Make sure you're looking for calorie dense foods like nuts and cheese if you're struggling - you could be eating a lot of things that don't actually have that many calories in.

Also, I see little point in gaining fat weight unless you have an unhealthily low bodyfat percentage, which I really doubt. Gaining fat won't make you any healthier or make you look any better, so do what you can to gain muscle instead.

ReputationRep:
    Eating a slice of pizza instead of a rice cracker will not give you mass. Eating a whole pizza will.

There was a TV show on this wasn't there? People had to eat double their calories to get out of "skinny" metabolism and in to "Fat" matabolism rates. Just be wary. Your body will adjust and eventually you'll keep going up in weight even if you cut back a bit.

"No access" to a gym or home equipment is often an excuse for "I hate exercise". Is that the case here or do you live 100 miles from the nearest gym and can't afford a £5 set of push up bars from Argos?

Whatever you were planning on spending on the extra food you can put that toward equipment if there are no gyms around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    Eat.

And don't just eat more food at an amount you think is more, because it's probably only a couple hundred calories more a day.

What you need to do is calculate your BMR and add 500 or 1000 or whatever calories to it.

That's your target daily calorie intake.

Remember, 3500 calories equals 1lb in body fat; so 500 extra calories on top of your BMR each day equals 1lb of added body weight per week.

You should keep track of your calorie intake by writing down what you eat so you can stick to the target.

I also recommend you buy this because it has a lot of calories but also all your daily vitamins etc. with proteins and carbs.

Get to it, boy.
    My BMR is 1655.2 apparently, haven't got a clue what this means. I will look at getting the product you suggested and will try not to eat junk and eat foods which are actually nutritious. Anything I can do in terms of exercise which can help? I don't have any weights or anything..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattx10)
    hey sorry I'm new to TSR but want to gain muscle mass (i'm skinner than OP at 18) but have an unusual situation. would you be able to take a look at my thread here:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1166318
    ?

thanks a lot!
    Dunno about buying weights, it's not something I know about. So no idea what's a good price or anything. But yes, eating lots, drinking lots of milk, and doing SS is what you need to be doing. :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RawJoh1)
    Dunno about buying weights, it's not something I know about. So no idea what's a good price or anything. But yes, eating lots, drinking lots of milk, and doing SS is what you need to be doing. :thumbsup:
    thanks. will i make noticable gains? i mean i look like a scarecrow atm

ReputationRep:
    People are just different builds. Seriously, maybe you're just built skinny, and if that's the case, if you eat eat eat, you may eventually put on weight, but you also may not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Scarlet)
    if you eat eat eat, you may eventually put on weight, but you also may not.
    Barring digestive disorders which prevent nutrient absorption, if you eat enough you'll get bigger. That's the way food works. It's just for some people 'enough' can be a big ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattx10)
    thanks. will i make noticable gains? i mean i look like a scarecrow atm
    If you eat enough, yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skinny Noob)
    My BMR is 1655.2 apparently, haven't got a clue what this means. I will look at getting the product you suggested and will try not to eat junk and eat foods which are actually nutritious. Anything I can do in terms of exercise which can help? I don't have any weights or anything..
    Don't go for his product, it's a waste of money and you don't need it at this time.

Nail down a good diet, and nom nom nom at anything you can.

ReputationRep:
    If you do start eating more try to aim for the calories needed for a male adult?
    But don't pig out on pizza, burgers and chips and crap. It'll eff your skin up.
    Try googling 'how to gain weight' or how to got build muscle'
    There are loads of webbies

ReputationRep:
    Do Starting Strength, follow exactly as written.

In case it helps for comparison , I gained 8 kgs in 1.5 months and pretty much doubled my lifts, and its still working.

ReputationRep:
    Im stupidly skinny and already eat a lot, but to gain weight you basically just have to eat even more than you already eat (even if you think you already eat a lot) That's what i'v doing at the moment and i'm slowly gaining weight.

Just make sure it's starchy carbs rather than sugar or saturated fat that you increase, otherwise you'll get the side effects of diabetes and a heart attack

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Scarlet)
    People are just different builds. Seriously, maybe you're just built skinny, and if that's the case, if you eat eat eat, you may eventually put on weight, but you also may not.
    rubbish, please cease and desist this nonsense talk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azer)
    Do Starting Strength, follow exactly as written.

In case it helps for comparison , I gained 8 kgs in 1.5 months and pretty much doubled my lifts, and its still working.
    There seems to be alot when I Search for it on google, can you link me to the one you're referring to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skinny Noob)
    There seems to be alot when I Search for it on google, can you link me to the one you're referring to?
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...inner_Programs (and other sites on that wiki)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2668412/Ri...g-Strength-FAQ (very indepth)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 31, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.