Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am hoping to study Economics at degree level in the future.
    My GCSE options are Business, German, Geography and Graphics.

My mock results are

Maths - A - 2 off A*
    English - C
    Science - A*
    R.S - A*
    ICT - A
    German -A
    Geography -A/A*
    Business - B - 2 off A
    Graphics - D - oops

I was thinking of doing
    Maths, futher maths, economics and geography for A-level.
    But after talking to the careers people they said German may be useful too.
    Do you guys think I should do German for AS and the rest for A2 or just ditch the German?
    I'm expecting it to be hard!
    Anyone else doing/done 5 ASs? how did it go?
    Will German be useful?
    Anyone got any tips for Economics?

ReputationRep:
    hey there,

a friend of mine is taking five and i know that he will cope.

i don't know you personnally so i don't have an opinion on that.

just to warn you, i've heard that german a level is really hard compared to GCSE but if you like grammer then it will be fine.

judging by your mock results you are capeable of doing all of you choices, so no problem there!

i understand why the man said german, lots of companies like to have employees that can speak foreign languages, but its your choice.

do you think that taking five (difficult) a levels will hinder you?

would you rather 5Bs or 4As?

or maybe you are one of those insanely talented people who will master it?

good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Don't listen to career advisors if you don't want to do German. There is a big jump from GCSE to AS in German, and your 4 original choices were good enough for economics.

Conclusion: go with:

Maths
    Further Maths
    Economics
    Geography

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys thanks for the comments!

I spoke to my German teacher yesterday and apparently AS isn't much harder than GCSE and I'll be fine, but maybe she wants wants me to take it! BTW I'm a biligual and speak chinese so I kinda have an advantage.

But it's also true that I would rather have 4As than 5Bs, do you think Unis would mind that I have slightly lower grades but have I extra?

I'm still deciding, need to talk to people.

good luck JayAyy

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to you too. Do the best you can :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Do a language to AS. The jump is genuinely not that hard, if you're willing to put the work in; especially in French, they tend to revise simpler grammar points quickly at the start of the year anyway, before moving onto the more difficult stuff, so you should be fine.

I also did 6 AS-Levels, and didn't exactly get 6 Bs, so you may not find it that difficult. It does, however, depend on whether you feel academically capable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarinaM)
    Do a language to AS. The jump is genuinely not that hard, if you're willing to put the work in; especially in French, they tend to revise simpler grammar points quickly at the start of the year anyway, before moving onto the more difficult stuff, so you should be fine.

I also did 6 AS-Levels, and didn't exactly get 6 Bs, so you may not find it that difficult. It does, however, depend on whether you feel academically capable.
    Ooh, thanks, very comforting, I think I will take it.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I think i'd be the perfect person to answer this! I also want to do Economics in uni

I'm currently studying; Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Sociology

I also wanted to do French as a 5th, but then again maths and further maths are very challenging (i got an A* for GCSE) and now find that i am very much committing to maths. I'd rather have 4 A's (240 UCAS points) then 5 B's (250 UCAS POINTS). As you can see all the hard work will just be worth 10 ucas points? Which then u'd be expected to raise your grades at A2 to A's (as a degree in economics is becoming very challenging!) Overall, its not the quantity of subjects you take but the quality of grades you achieve!

However, If you feel you can handle 5, i'd suggest you go for it - But i must say that 4 is perfectly fine!

If you have any further q's, i'd be more then happy to help! =)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.