Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www2.lse.ac.uk/newsAndMedia/n...nequality.aspx

this is the reason why I intend to start my career outside of britain (if its not academic). in all the countries I have been in (a lot) england is the one where inequality is highest, and every foreigner who ahs experience of working for an english company/organisation confirms this.

now many of you will say "so what, we knew that". so instead of debating about the the particular issue, i am more interested in a discussion about what one can now do to tackle the problem (because politicians are not gonna do anything like usual).

is a complete political reform necessary? to something like in switzerland where they have national referendums or whatever its called on important issues? i think so because i have no faith in the system or politicians. we need a system where politicians are not influenced by lobbyists or their own stupidity.

ReputationRep:
    The government has spent the last 10 years doing everything it can to remove 'inequality'...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeterGriffin)
    The government has spent the last 10 years doing everything it can to remove 'inequality'...
    The government have been far too busy on other "worthwhile" projects to spend any time removing "inequality".

ReputationRep:
    inequality is good tho, if you earn 50,000 you can choose to live like a poor person and live in a council tax band A cheap house, drive an old vectra saving up to start businesses etc.

i think people are motivated to be 'better off' than others and pulling that motivation away is bad.

ReputationRep:
    Inequality scheme's are never ever going to work. It's impossible to get the balance right between, say black or white. There was one article that i read a while back stating that at the moment, the Metropolitan police were only taking on black people or disabled people. Now explain to me how that fair to the white population, or those that could do a damn good job of it. Equality is different in everyone's eyes. Equality for me for example, is everyone having the same rules to live by, which they have to follow. What they do inside these rules it their own fate. Equality for me should not be about everyone directly having the same things. Because what about the people that have worked damn hard, yet, someone who's hardly lifted a finger gets the same as them.

A tricky subject me thinks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)

in all the countries I have been in (a lot) england is the one where inequality is highest,.
    What the hell, that is utter BS there are sooooo many countries worse than us by income inequality (as shown by use of gini coefficient)

for instance:

US
    India
    China
    Russia
    All of south america
    Most of Africa
    Japan

etc etc

ReputationRep:
    India certainly has an inequality issue; the contrast is very stark.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.