Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey guys,

Need abit of help here and alot of reassurance if its ok.

Okay, so here goes my story...these were my options for Secondary Maths back in october...

IOE......rejected (Post interview)
    Kings....rejected
    UEL......rejected
    Goldsmiths....waiting to here

Im literally gutted to be honest. What shall i do...:mad:

I dont really wanna go to goldsmith. Im pretty sure im gonna be rejected by them also, which leaves clearing.

I did graduate from a good university of london (average entry, 300 + ucas points) with a 2:1 in a popular course.

The problem is that i didn't do it in maths, although it has alot of maths in it.

This is what kings have said to me, they couldn't take me on w/o a heavily maths moduled course unless backed by a mec.

Im thinking of withdrawing my application and applying next year. Financially im quite sound helped by working as support staff. Im hoping to reapply but with a mec attachment. Anyone know how i go about doing this and is it funded(bursary) by the tda?

Your thoughts appreciated...

thanks peeps

ReputationRep:
    Well theres nothing you can do im afraid. You know how uni applications work, you have to be sure of what you are doing if its a risk. You obviously took a risk and have lost out. Better luck next time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SacreBleu)
    Well theres nothing you can do im afraid. You know how uni applications work, you have to be sure of what you are doing if its a risk. You obviously took a risk and have lost out. Better luck next time.
    hey there, im abit confused as to what you mean.

I dont think ive taken a huge risk. Rather i feel that the unis i have chosen are being abit too prudent/selective in their intake, which if it is the case i totally understand.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by lookingtoteach)
    hey there, im abit confused as to what you mean.

I dont think ive taken a huge risk. Rather i feel that the unis i have chosen are being abit too prudent/selective in their intake, which if it is the case i totally understand.
    I think what the poster is saying is that you are taking a risk applying for a Maths PGCE when your degree isn't in Maths - even though as you say, your degree did contain quite a bit.

Unfortunatley PGCEs are pretty competitive nowadays. Sorry to hear that you are disappointed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigpinkcrayon.)
    I think what the poster is saying is that you are taking a risk applying for a Maths PGCE when your degree isn't in Maths - even though as you say, your degree did contain quite a bit.

Unfortunatley PGCEs are pretty competitive nowadays. Sorry to hear that you are disappointed
    oh ok, i see...in my defence, i had no other career motives, i really wanted to teach maths, so personally for me, it was the one and only choice.

Its ok, its not the end of the world, im gutted and dissapointed but the goal still remains the same, just how do i get there seems to baffle me. **scratch**

thanks for your comment.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear that, but you seem determined - I'm sure you'll get there eventually. It might be worth contacting the TDA regarding this: http://www.tda.gov.uk/Recruit/thetra...ent_short.aspx

What is your degree in? Do you have the required 50% of Mathematics within your degree?

ReputationRep:
    I'm aware that you need an ITT offer to complete this, but it's an option, something you could talk to them about, if the reason that you were rejected was because of subject knowledge. Click the link to the right and they have longer courses too. For the record, Goldsmiths is a really good ITT provider; they have a very good reputation.

ReputationRep:
    If your stuck without a Uni for sept it may be worth looking into a PGCE with the Open Uni. They regester for courses all year round so there is no 'deadline day' and if they think you need extra maths under your belt just apply for the maths subject knowledge enhancement (SKE) course. you get exactly the same funding for your PGCE as you would in a 'bricks and mortor' uni and you also get 5k for doing the SKE course.

I am currently doing a SKE in chemistry to do a PGCE with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doingmybest)
    I'm aware that you need an ITT offer to complete this, but it's an option, something you could talk to them about, if the reason that you were rejected was because of subject knowledge. Click the link to the right and they have longer courses too. For the record, Goldsmiths is a really good ITT provider; they have a very good reputation.
    i am totally baffled with all this about ske. Do i get a place on ske first before i go into itt. im assuming its the other way round rite, but what if you get into ske and then dont find your not accepted into itt.

im presuming that you tell the itt that you will initially enrol on to the ske, in which case they'll agree conditional on you passing ske tests, right?:o:

Im sure goldsmiths is a very good itt provider, the issue is they will probably send me further south which im not too comfortable with travelling that far, secondly, i wish to work in east london, hence id much prefer UEL.

Thanks for your input.

ReputationRep:
    Im a literally gutted
    i think i found your problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanttoteach)
    If your stuck without a Uni for sept it may be worth looking into a PGCE with the Open Uni. They regester for courses all year round so there is no 'deadline day' and if they think you need extra maths under your belt just apply for the maths subject knowledge enhancement (SKE) course. you get exactly the same funding for your PGCE as you would in a 'bricks and mortor' uni and you also get 5k for doing the SKE course.

I am currently doing a SKE in chemistry to do a PGCE with them.
    im quite skeptical about taken the open uni route. Im sure its probably fine,but personally i much prefer the "mainstream" uni route. I dont know why, maybe just an insecurity issue.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to wait until clearing/extra starts to add extra choices: as soon as you have no on going applications and no offers you can just add another four choices on gttr. At the moment there are loads of courses which still have vacancies so perhaps if you do some research now whilst you're waiting for Goldsmiths you can then just add an extra choice if you need to? You don't know that its all over with them though yet - how long have they had your application?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    You don't have to wait until clearing/extra starts to add extra choices: as soon as you have no on going applications and no offers you can just add another four choices on gttr. At the moment there are loads of courses which still have vacancies so perhaps if you do some research now whilst you're waiting for Goldsmiths you can then just add an extra choice if you need to? You don't know that its all over with them though yet - how long have they had your application?
    oh is it, thanks for that, i wasn't aware of that. However there few other unis that are still available, im not too sure about them.

Goldsmiths have had my application for less that a day. The reason as to why i feel they will reject me is because they will want me to do a presentation on a difficult maths content at an undergraduate level which i simply cannot do because my degree not being maths.

ReputationRep:
    oh is it, thanks for that, i wasn't aware of that. However there few other unis that are still available, im not too sure about them.

Goldsmiths have had my application for less that a day. The reason as to why i feel they will reject me is because they will want me to do a presentation on a difficult maths content at an undergraduate level which i simply cannot do because my degree not being maths.
    I didn't know either - its something I found out today when looking at gttr... I assumed once your 4 were up you had to wait until Extra/Clearing but it just opens again and asks you to add another 4 choices if you have nothing outstanding

Did you not do something related to maths at undergrad though?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know either - its something I found out today when looking at gttr... I assumed once your 4 were up you had to wait until Extra/Clearing but it just opens again and asks you to add another 4 choices if you have nothing outstanding

Did you not do something related to maths at undergrad though?
    yeah, i did quite abit on maths, some which was slightly beyond the scope of a level maths. I also have a good a - level grade in maths as back up. I would have thought that would be sufficient to teach 11-16 but it is clearly not.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, i did quite abit on maths, some which was slightly beyond the scope of a level maths. I also have a good a - level grade in maths as back up. I would have thought that would be sufficient to teach 11-16 but it is clearly not.
    I don't think they will be too interested in the complexity of the maths you talk about, it will be how you present it and what you say etc which will be the thing that counts, not anything else. Afterall, you could pick something you found hard from the first week of first year of an undergrad course.

I though an A level was sufficient in most places?

ReputationRep:
    Is your degree 50% Maths? This is the minimum accepted by ITT providers set by the TDA. If it's not that's where the SKE comes in and you need a PGCE place prior to enrolling on it. I'm led to believe that 50% is the minimum requirement. If your degree has that amount that may not be your problem; apply for feedback and then you'll have a better idea of why you were rejected and be able to work on that
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    oh ok, i see...in my defence, i had no other career motives, i really wanted to teach maths, so personally for me, it was the one and only choice.
    Of course, totally understandable.

Why don't you check out vacancies for other courses like it has been suggested? You never know! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they will be too interested in the complexity of the maths you talk about, it will be how you present it and what you say etc which will be the thing that counts, not anything else. Afterall, you could pick something you found hard from the first week of first year of an undergrad course.

I though an A level was sufficient in most places?
    I thought an a level would be sufficient but clearly not.

I realise that they are not too interested in the depth or difficulty in maths that you studied, rather the ability for you to explain.

This then does baffle me abit as i cant really comprehend what you will learn in a maths degree that will help you teach/explain ks3/4 any better than if you decided to do a degree other than in maths but do have an alevel in maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doingmybest)
    Is your degree 50% Maths? This is the minimum accepted by ITT providers set by the TDA. If it's not that's where the SKE comes in and you need a PGCE place prior to enrolling on it. I'm led to believe that 50% is the minimum requirement. If your degree has that amount that may not be your problem; apply for feedback and then you'll have a better idea of why you were rejected and be able to work on that
    As far as i know it is only a general rule that says you need 50%+ maths in your degree. There are many unis including very good ones that will take you on with a degree that is not 50% + maths. For example, the ioe happily consider people with degrees from subjects like computing and economics.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.