Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    Basically, over the last few years they've trained too many people meaning that after your initial probation year (NQT year in England) its really hard to get a job because there just aren't any to be had, and jobs are being given to probationers as they're cheaper. Its related to the fact Holyrood made targets relating to class size reduction and nowhere has actually met the target meaning Holyrood have been training teachers at a level which will meet the new class size targets but none of them have been met, so we have a surplus. This year they've been really drastic and most courses are having places cut by at least half (secondary and primary) with primary courses being about 75/80% place reduction meaning literally hundreds of people who would previously be on courses just can't get an interview let alone a place. At least with primary, if you don't get in at your first choice you won't be getting a place at all in Scotland this year. Meaning loads of us (mostly new graduates as we just don't have the experience to compete with mature applicants) are having to try our luck in England as its much easier there.

Why not keep your gttr application on going and then if you get an offer you don't have to make a decision yet? Obviously you only have 14 days to accept it but you could always drop out in the summer if you found something better etc as they can't force you to go.... meaning at least you will have kept your options open

I have no idea about GTP sorry.
    **eek** that sounds almost as bad as being redundant. Is it just this year they are reducing the intake or is this seen as a ongoing solution?

Come to think of it, i do remember a candidate that came from scotland for an interview.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Why withdraw your PGCE application? And earlier today you were rubbishing the GTP and now you intend to apply for it? You need to take a long deep breath and give yourself a few days to get your thoughts together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Why withdraw your PGCE application? And earlier today you were rubbishing the GTP and now you intend to apply for it? You need to take a long deep breath and give yourself a few days to get your thoughts together.
    oh no, i didn't mean to rubbish the GTP, apologises if it seemed that way. What i was trying to say is that, the GTP seems to me abit less recognised hence possible less favoured to the PGCE route. It makes sense right, Surely that has alot of reasoning behind more people taking the PGCE route.

I wont be withdrawing my application. I know that is what i did say but what i meant was that i intend to see out this way and if i dont find a placement i'll re-apply next whilst in the mean time comtemplate the GTP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lookingtoteach)
    **eek** that sounds almost as bad as being redundant. Is it just this year they are reducing the intake or is this seen as a ongoing solution?

Come to think of it, i do remember a candidate that came from scotland for an interview.
    I'm not sure - I assume it will be carried on through the next few years but maybe not as drastic until numbers have stabilised, which is why I don't want to risk trying again and getting rejected next year. I'd rather be rejected now to be honest than be accepted onto a course then be facing unemployment either this time next year or the year after, as at least I'm in a position at the moment where I can move to England whereas in a few years time this might not be the case. Anyway, this thread isn't about me - I was just trying to say widening your horizons might not be a bad idea (although I wouldn't advise considering Scottish universities, hehe) as it is only for a year.

Good luck with your application and working things out... there is always a plan B

ReputationRep:
    ^^ Thanks Oxy.

ReputationRep:
    isn't a MEC the access course/ maths refresher. If that is the case, im back to square one.

Ive emailed the IoE for a possible second interview, the opposed the idea explicitly. Kings have said, given the stark increase in applications they wont consider anyone w/o a maths degree.

I haven't contacted the UEL as to why they rejected me. I intend to do so on Mon/Tue. See if i can take any feedback from them.

Ive thought about starting in a month as opposed to september, however im unsure how this works. If i start in february 2011, when do i finish. From what ive heard, a year is too packed for a pgce course, nevermind 6/7 months. :o:
    Hi,

If you start in february 2011, then you'll finish at about christmas time in 2011 (as opposed to a 2011 september start, where you will finish the following summer -2012).

Anyway - its best to go straight to the horses mouth - as it were - and talk directly to the admissions people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darigan)
    Hi,

If you start in february 2011, then you'll finish at about christmas time in 2011 (as opposed to a 2011 september start, where you will finish the following summer -2012).

Anyway - its best to go straight to the horses mouth - as it were - and talk directly to the admissions people.
    oh ok thanks, any idea which unis do starts other than in september. Is there any benefit in beginning in feb and ending in december? as opposed to the traditional year

ReputationRep:
    oh ok thanks, any idea which unis do starts other than in september. Is there any benefit in beginning in feb and ending in december? as opposed to the traditional year
    Hi,
    The biggest benefits are for undergrad courses - because you apply direct to the Uni for a february start, you don't have to go through UCAS - but i suppoe that doesn't really carry through to postgrad where you apply directly, although, i suspect that it may be a little bit easier to et a place for a February start because the February intake is much lower than the september intake, but you would really have to contact the university directly to find out about that. Also - the fact that if you could get a place now, then you wouldn't have to wait until september. I imagine that for he PGCE - if you finish 6 months earlier than most other students, then you'll have an advantage when applying for teacher work for the start of the school year the following september.

I'm a postgrad at UEL - and i know that they do february start for most of their courses. I've just had a look (list of courses), and they don't do PGCEs for february start, the closest is a handful of Education subjects at MA (rather than PGCE).

I'd say that you should probably go on to the website of any Uni that your interested in studying at (right now) to see if they do a February start, if they do, it should be advertised all over the homepage because the deadline for applications for February start will be over soon. It wouldn't hurt to call their admissions people as well, just to double-check that you haven't missed anything on the website.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    The biggest benefits are for undergrad courses - because you apply direct to the Uni for a february start, you don't have to go through UCAS - but i suppoe that doesn't really carry through to postgrad where you apply directly, although, i suspect that it may be a little bit easier to et a place for a February start because the February intake is much lower than the september intake, but you would really have to contact the university directly to find out about that. Also - the fact that if you could get a place now, then you wouldn't have to wait until september. I imagine that for he PGCE - if you finish 6 months earlier than most other students, then you'll have an advantage when applying for teacher work for the start of the school year the following september.

I'm a postgrad at UEL - and i know that they do february start for most of their courses. I've just had a look (list of courses), and they don't do PGCEs for february start, the closest is a handful of Education subjects at MA (rather than PGCE).

I'd say that you should probably go on to the website of any Uni that your interested in studying at (right now) to see if they do a February start, if they do, it should be advertised all over the homepage because the deadline for applications for February start will be over soon. It wouldn't hurt to call their admissions people as well, just to double-check that you haven't missed anything on the website.

Good luck
    Im not too sure how great the advantage in terms of finishing your pgce 6 months earlier when it comes to emplyment. Im sure schools would find a way to level the playing field by either employing towards a summer term or giving a later closing date. After all, they would much prefer to select from a greater pool, right?

Yeah ive tried UEL, they've told me they dont have any PGCE beginning in february.

Which febuaray are you referring to by the way. Im sure the intake for feb 2010 would have been well and truely over. In regards, to feb 2011 surely i would be applying too soon.

I will endeavour to check out the pages and/or call the unis. See if they've got any insight into this.

Thanks darigan.

ReputationRep:
    Im not too sure how great the advantage in terms of finishing your pgce 6 months earlier when it comes to emplyment. Im sure schools would find a way to level the playing field by either employing towards a summer term or giving a later closing date. After all, they would much prefer to select from a greater pool, right?

Yeah ive tried UEL, they've told me they dont have any PGCE beginning in february.

Which febuaray are you referring to by the way. Im sure the intake for feb 2010 would have been well and truely over. In regards, to feb 2011 surely i would be applying too soon.

I will endeavour to check out the pages and/or call the unis. See if they've got any insight into this.

Thanks darigan.
    Hi,

I was talking about Feb 2010 - teaching doesn't start until next week (for me at least), so any universities that still have february start places available are likely to offer them up until the first teaching week.

I'm not entirely sure about the benefits of finishing 6 months earlier either, i was merely supposing - but I'd imagine a few months ehad-start on other graudates would have to be useful in some way, but perhaps not.

Good luck in your search

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I was talking about Feb 2010 - teaching doesn't start until next week (for me at least), so any universities that still have february start places available are likely to offer them up until the first teaching week.

I'm not entirely sure about the benefits of finishing 6 months earlier either, i was merely supposing - but I'd imagine a few months ehad-start on other graudates would have to be useful in some way, but perhaps not.

Good luck in your search
    oh i see, well thanks anyway for trying to help darigan.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.