Hearing.. Watch

hontoir
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Evening all, well last year (December to be exact) my application to the RN was ended, due to my hearing loss.. I was devastated as this is totally out of my control, but I have a hearing loss of 150dB, whereas the RN limit is 120dB loss.

Now I have spoken to the RFA, with regard to their medical, and they seem to be optimistic, and I have an A.I.B. appointment next month.

However, am I being stupid trying for it?? Are any of the other two forces more lenient with regards to hearing?? I can hear all day to day noises.

Thanks
Mike
jon33
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have a slight loss of hearing in my right ear due to an operation I had afew years ago. It's classed as "H2" rather than "H1" which I'm guessing is perfectly normally hearing. I'm fine to go for any branch other than aircrew and controller branches (ATC, ABM).

Not sure if that's any help or not
Vizzini
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by hontoir)
Evening all, well last year (December to be exact) my application to the RN was ended, due to my hearing loss.. I was devastated as this is totally out of my control, but I have a hearing loss of 150dB, whereas the RN limit is 120dB loss.

Now I have spoken to the RFA, with regard to their medical, and they seem to be optimistic, and I have an A.I.B. appointment next month.

However, am I being stupid trying for it?? Are any of the other two forces more lenient with regards to hearing?? I can hear all day to day noises.

Thanks
Mike
Hontoir,

As with any medical question, no-one on this forum, and probably the entire internet, could give you a definitive answer and certainly not one you could trust at face value. So, I'll repeat the advice that has been given in every single one of these type of threads: Speak to an AFCO.

I imagine it matters not not that you can hear day-to-day noises; for example in my line of work it's a case of whether you could hear something accurately over a head set. If you were turned down for the RN, I would presume that the RAF and even Army would turn you down as well, but I'm speculating. It all relates to your ability to accurately discriminate sounds. To pick a random example, if you have suffered hearing loss, it may be that in a high-noise environment (eg firefight) you would be unable to distinguish orders given against the background noise - not ideal.

As I say, I have absolutely no expertise in this area - speaking to an AFCO is the only way forward!

Best of luck.

Vizzini
grandad
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
Have you tired cleaning your ears out?
I apparently had very bad hearing as far as 65+ year olds go(being 22 thats not good!) when i took a hearing test at a company I was working for(lots of loud noises keep track of your hearing). I thought it could be wax, anyway the week before being assessed for the RAF i used olive oil on my ears then got them syringed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (197)
27.86%
No (510)
72.14%

Watched Threads