Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are there "left wing" and "right wing" universities...? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any perceptions on certain institutions being known as being traditionally "left wing" or "right wing"?

I guess it is not as marked now as it would have been say 20-30 years ago, and I suppose there are more left leaning academics than right leaning ones overall, but maybe there are some that are considered more to one side of the political spectrum than others.

Oxbridge I would say are both quite balanced, in that they have both got traditions of producing eminent Marxists and neoliberals, and politicians from both wings of the political scene.

LSE was for a long time seen as an intellectual stronghold of the left but more recently it has been a key training ground for the City so I'm not sure whether that holds any more.

A few of the lecturers I've spoken to seem to regard Sussex as a left wing institution that has never had the establishment ties that Oxbridge and LSE have, especially in the 60s/70s/80s, big anti-apartheid movement there at the time they had Thabo Mbeki and Peter Hain studying there (not that those guys look particularly left wing now!)

Buckingham would be the one that I've heard of as being regarded as right-wing, seems like it is a haven for rogue free-market and libertarian academics who detest having state intervention and monitoring of their research output and teaching.

So what are everyone else's perceptions on which universities are left or right leaning....?

ReputationRep:
    I think it varies depending on two main factors, how presitigious the Uni is and the location. For example my local university, Durham.
    Since it is usually in the top 10, it attracts a lot of middle class conservative students to the Uni (as well as lecturers). However since the city is predominately a Labour stronghold, local students attend the Uni as well as local lecturers, and I think the influence of living in a Labour-driven city for 3 years will make you re-think your own political views.

My view at least.

ReputationRep:
    My English teacher says Cambridge is quite left wing in comparison to Oxford. Although the Lib Dems and Greens are quite prominent in both cities I thought?

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion - yes.
    I think LSE is quite left-wing, as is Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    durham is so utterly conservative it's unreal.

ReputationRep:
    Places like SOAS are epic in their left-wing greatness.

ReputationRep:
    Students and academics are more often left wing than right wing - out of idealism and self-interest, and the country is centre left as a whole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadigmShift)
    Places like SOAS are epic in their left-wing greatness.
    Epic in there intake of privileged middle class white kids with no ambition or work ethic who like to pontificate about orientalism and are so mired in moral relativism and high on weed that they couldn't find their own backbone if they spent a year half-heartedly looking for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Do you have any perceptions on certain institutions being known as being traditionally "left wing" or "right wing"?

I guess it is not as marked now as it would have been say 20-30 years ago, and I suppose there are more left leaning academics than right leaning ones overall, but maybe there are some that are considered more to one side of the political spectrum than others.

Oxbridge I would say are both quite balanced, in that they have both got traditions of producing eminent Marxists and neoliberals, and politicians from both wings of the political scene.

LSE was for a long time seen as an intellectual stronghold of the left but more recently it has been a key training ground for the City so I'm not sure whether that holds any more.

A few of the lecturers I've spoken to seem to regard Sussex as a left wing institution that has never had the establishment ties that Oxbridge and LSE have, especially in the 60s/70s/80s, big anti-apartheid movement there at the time they had Thabo Mbeki and Peter Hain studying there (not that those guys look particularly left wing now!)

Buckingham would be the one that I've heard of as being regarded as right-wing, seems like it is a haven for rogue free-market and libertarian academics who detest having state intervention and monitoring of their research output and teaching.

So what are everyone else's perceptions on which universities are left or right leaning....?
    In America you get Christian Unis which churn out Neo Conservatives but thats about it

ReputationRep:
    I thought uni would be full of left wing people, but its proven to be less than I thought it would be. Shame, though generally the right wing people are centre right and therefore not difficult to tolerate :p:

ReputationRep:
    SOAS is uberly left wing.

LSE economists produce Neolibs by the bucket load though, so :dontknow: if you could call it right wing.

ReputationRep:
    Well I think LSE is traditionally left-wing, but all my friends who go there are Neoliberals for sure!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pendragon)
    Epic in there intake of privileged middle class white kids with no ambition or work ethic who like to pontificate about orientalism and are so mired in moral relativism and high on weed that they couldn't find their own backbone if they spent a year half-heartedly looking for it.

So true

Left-wing students tend not to be Clement Atlees or Eric Hobsbawms. They're more often just ignorant, self-righteous *****.

I don't think so.
    In all universities, I think you get hard political lefts and rights; those in the center; those edging on center left or right; and those who just don't give a ****, and just want to have a good time and get their degree.

ReputationRep:
    Well the SU building here at Bangor was named after Steve Biko until the mid-90s i believe.....so thats kinda left-wing :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by E_D_B)
    So true

Left-wing students tend not to be Clement Atlees or Eric Hobsbawms. They're more often just ignorant, self-righteous *****.

pot calling the kettle 'black' then...

ReputationRep:
    Most unis are a mix of the two, with the exception of some overtly left wing unis such as UEL. The G20 protests, for example, were organised by a professor at UEL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pendragon)
    Oh, yes... in case these <100 students you're talking about dominate the other 4500, that is.

-

I've been told a couple of times that Warwick seems to be a Labour recruitment centre. I wouldn't call this "left-wing", though...

ReputationRep:
    SOAS sounds like a cool place...tell me more someone

ReputationRep:
    Most Universities are left-wing.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.