what is more important to you when choosing a university? Watch

charley_says
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
basically there are two which i can't choose between.

The first has a great atmosphere, loads of places to go out, lots of places to eat, always has loads of events, and is a gorgeous place to live. There are also loads of unique shops and restaurants as well as chain ones. But the course i want to do (psychology) is pretty new there and doesn't have a brilliant rep yet, and doesn't seem to cover all the modules i'm interested in. It isn't accredited by the british psychological society yet either as it's so new. Also, the accommodation isn't as nice, even though it does have amazing views.

The second place, while it does have a good atmosphere and loads to do, it's very close to home and so it's somewhere i've been to loads and i guess the idea of going there isn't as exciting. I guess the nightlife and social side doesn't appeal to me quite as much. The uni is lovely and everything, and so is the accommodation as it's all been done out. The degree scheme has a lot more going for it too, as it's actually accredited and there's a lot of world class research that's been done there.

TL;DR: As stupid a question as it is, would you rather go to a uni that's more reputable but not as much of an "adventure" (literally 20 minute drive from my house now), or a uni that doesn't have as much going for it in terms of the course (yet, remember it is new) but has much more to offer you in nearly every other aspect?
CrookedLegs
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The second one sounds like the best option.

What are the two choices by the way? Just had a look at your UCAS, if its a choice between Cardiff and Aber/Swansea, I'd go for Cardiff
Kittykatkat
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'd go for the accredited one, purely on the basis that the degree you come out with will be worth something.

But for another course (ie. where accreditation isn't an issue) I would go for the one with the adventure attached.
charley_says
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kittykatkat)
I'd go for the accredited one, purely on the basis that the degree you come out with will be worth something.

But for another course (ie. where accreditation isn't an issue) I would go for the one with the adventure attached.
Well there is a way of doing a conversion course so it will end up being accredited, and when i enquired about it the head of department told me that the only reason it isn't yet is because the course needs to have been running as a single honours subject for three years first, and it's currently in its first year. so i guess by the time i finish, hopefully that won't be an issue, and even if it is i could still do the conversion course.
llacerta
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Personally, as a fellow psychology applicant, I really would recommend going with an accredited course where possible. University is as much of an adventure as you make it, so I'm sure you can ensure that you have a good time making friends and that sort of thing- you can sort of make up for it. But you can't make up for a course that is (currently) below par.

At the end of the day, you're going to university to get a degree (well, I assume that's your main motivation). Of course it's important to have a good time, but in twenty or thirty years you don't want to be regretting your degree choice.
charley_says
Rep:
?
(Original post by CrookedLegs)
The second one sounds like the best option.

What are the two choices by the way? Just had a look at your UCAS, if its a choice between Cardiff and Aber/Swansea, I'd go for Cardiff
Actually it's between swansea and aber. I did have a look around cardiff and went to a visiting day, but I guess I didn't feel like it was the right place for me. Even though I know it's better than both academically. I just can't see myself there for three years.
CrookedLegs
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by charley_says)
Actually it's between swansea and aber. I did have a look around cardiff and went to a visiting day, but I guess I didn't feel like it was the right place for me. Even though I know it's better than both academically. I just can't see myself there for three years.
Ahh right cool, I know people at both of those and I've heard that Aber is really chilled out (you probably know all this) and has absolutely beautiful scenery, also that it has a better general reputation than Swansea.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (78)
30%
No - I got the required grades (149)
57.31%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (33)
12.69%

Watched Threads