Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

need advice for sorting out my new gym routine watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Since last spetember I've been using the gym every week, for about 5-6 days a week (though I had a break this month because of exams and I'm just getting back in, hence me typing this now). I would alternate between days doing cardiovascular and weights (to have a recovery period); on the days that I would do weights I would just do a medley of exercises on the machines and wit the free weights. I've learnt this is'nt the way to go if I actually want to see decent results but I at least have a feel now for how everything works.

From what I've gathered the general concensus is that deadlifts and squats are the best muscle-building exercises. how many sets/reps should i be starting off with?

also the concept of quality over quantity is apparent- I like said I was spending 6 days a week in the gym last year and each session I'm usually there for 1 and a half hours. Im sure a lot of people would tell me this is too much. how many times a week and for how long should i be in the gym?

ideally could someone outline what would be a good overall routine for me and explain? im just aiming to gain muscle generally. thanks

ReputationRep:
    Workout A

3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press
    5x3 Power Clean

EAT! SLEEP! Job done.

Alternate between those 2 workouts every other day and you're sorted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    Workout A

3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press
    5x3 Power Clean

EAT! SLEEP! Job done.

Alternate between those 2 workouts every other day and you're sorted
    when you say 'press' on workout B what do you mean exactly? (I'm assuming something other than bench press).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sad Clown)
    when you say 'press' on workout B what do you mean exactly? (I'm assuming something other than bench press).

ReputationRep:
    I wish there was a dog who would walk around my gym :o:

ReputationRep:
    If you're just looking to gain muscle why are you doing cardio 3 times a week?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    If you're just looking to gain muscle why are you doing cardio 3 times a week?
    um why not I did'nt think that made a difference, in fact I thought it was good as it helps get rid of fat. Im sure someone is going to enlighten me

is there anything i can do instead of powercleans as I'm not confident that I have the coordiantion to them with proper form yet. also i can imagine dropping the barbell on someone's foot as there is'nt much room in our gym.

ReputationRep:
    Since last spetember I've been using the gym every week, for about 5-6 days a week (though I had a break this month because of exams and I'm just getting back in, hence me typing this now). I would alternate between days doing cardiovascular and weights (to have a recovery period); on the days that I would do weights I would just do a medley of exercises on the machines and wit the free weights. I've learnt this is'nt the way to go if I actually want to see decent results but I at least have a feel now for how everything works.

From what I've gathered the general concensus is that deadlifts and squats are the best muscle-building exercises. how many sets/reps should i be starting off with?

also the concept of quality over quantity is apparent- I like said I was spending 6 days a week in the gym last year and each session I'm usually there for 1 and a half hours. Im sure a lot of people would tell me this is too much. how many times a week and for how long should i be in the gym?

ideally could someone outline what would be a good overall routine for me and explain? im just aiming to gain muscle generally. thanks
    I go 3 times a week for an hour an a half each time. That's still more than enough because the reccommended amount is 5 x 30 minutes of exercise (= 2hrs 30 mins). Can't advise on the other stuff I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    um why not I did'nt think that made a difference, in fact I thought it was good as it helps get rid of fat. Im sure someone is going to enlighten me

is there anything i can do instead of powercleans as I'm not confident that I have the coordiantion to them with proper form yet. also i can imagine dropping the barbell on someone's foot as there is'nt much room in our gym.
    you're going to be expending even more energy for cardio, so less energy for weights, less progression. UNLESS you eat like a ..eh...yeti?

You could try pendlay rows over cleans but cleans are far superior.

ReputationRep:
    you're going to be expending even more energy for cardio, so less energy for weights, less progression. UNLESS you eat like a ..eh...yeti?

You could try pendlay rows over cleans but cleans are far superior.
    hmm yeah that figures.

thanks though, I'll try those first then maybe move on to power cleans.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.