Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by radical07)
    Yo yo the answers are wrong for most of the questions, i had a massive argument avec my teacher and i was right in the end. Basically, ignore that whole double spread - both the answers and questions are incorrect.

That should make you smile hopefully - nothing like being convinced your right and told your wrong.

P.s I see your a fellow to-be cambridge person!

Haha I've noticed some of the answers on the back are wrong (i've corrected like half the book's answers!). e.g. at one point it says nitrosomonas converts nitrites to nitrates (WRONG!) and nitrobacter converts ammonium compounds to nitites (wrong). and there's a rna somewhere with a thymine :confused:

yep i got an offer somehow, which college did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    let me guess, F212 on Tuesday morning and S2 on Wednesday afternoon lol

i finally finished f212 by only revising the stuff i think will come up
    I'll be doing some s2 work tomorrow(not much apart from doing past paper as i have finished every chapter of s2 lol took me ages) then maybe do some c4 and G485 lol these two major units on same day(18th june) lol :yikes:
    heyy what do you think is most likely to come up in F212?
    Ive only revised the immune system.. and smoking section..and vaccinations..
    apparently the people who re-sat F212 in Jan 2010.. said it was all biochemistry.. i cant find the paper anywhere so cant even see what kinda questions came up..
    so i havent revised any biochemistry...and biodiveristy stuff is so boring...might learn conservation stuff..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HELPME-ology)
    heyy what do you think is most likely to come up in F212?
    Ive only revised the immune system.. and smoking section..and vaccinations..
    apparently the people who re-sat F212 in Jan 2010.. said it was all biochemistry.. i cant find the paper anywhere so cant even see what kinda questions came up..
    so i havent revised any biochemistry...and biodiveristy stuff is so boring...might learn conservation stuff..
    i looked at the paper seeing what came up and its true it was mostly biochemistry(especially enzymes), but here is what i think will come up:p:
    i did similar predictions for F211 and my predictions came true lol
    F212

Module 1

1) Carbohydrates
    2) Comparison between amylose and cellulose
    3) Food test(might come up, if it does it wil be lots of marks especially knowing how to test for non-reducing sugars)
    4) Comparison between haemoglobin and collagen(i think this might come up) or a simple table comparing globular and fibrous
    5) Lipids(most likely)
    6) Comparison between phospholipids and triglycerides(likely)
    7) Poison(likely)
    8) Importance of cofactors and coenzymes

Module 2

1) Improving Food production
    2) Microorganism and food(most likely, especially the bits on how to prevent food spoilage or extend shelf life)
    3) Primary/secondary defences(likely)
    4) Mode of action of antibodies
    5) Stuff from page 171 to 170(maybe a question might come up asking about the mode of action of T-lymphocytes or how phagocytes work worth a lot of marks!)
    6) Vaccination

Module 3

1) Classification
    2) The Five Kingdoms(Prokaryotes, Protoctists, Fungi, Plants and animals)
    3) Modern Classification
    4) Adaptation(might come up)
    5) Conservation

seems a lot but actually easy to digest lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikey_g)
    Haha I've noticed some of the answers on the back are wrong (i've corrected like half the book's answers!). e.g. at one point it says nitrosomonas converts nitrites to nitrates (WRONG!) and nitrobacter converts ammonium compounds to nitites (wrong). and there's a rna somewhere with a thymine :confused:

yep i got an offer somehow, which college did you apply for?

Hmm yea its got a lot of mistakes - although its godly compared to this edexcel chemistry textbook i've got which is jokes!

Haha don't doubt yourself if you got an offer you deserve it! I got an offer from selwyn, really love it there. Clare is gorgeous though well done, lets hope we get through this biology nightmare ok, they didn't specify a star in bio did they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by radical07)
    Hmm yea its got a lot of mistakes - although its godly compared to this edexcel chemistry textbook i've got which is jokes!

Haha don't doubt yourself if you got an offer you deserve it! I got an offer from selwyn, really love it there. Clare is gorgeous though well done, lets hope we get through this biology nightmare ok, they didn't specify a star in bio did they?
    ah wicked, nice one and yeah im glad i didnt take chemistry haha
    no funnily enough they didn't specify the A* for anything, and art wasn't excluded from my offer either. so i could get in with an A* in ART haha (but thats next to impossible to get anyway so no worries there!) well done too. not too much pressure to get in or anything

ReputationRep:
    What topics are people looking over, if any for synoptic links?
    I don't know whether its worth me looking through my AS book or concentrating on the context of this unit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CreativeBass)
    What topics are people looking over, if any for synoptic links?
    I don't know whether its worth me looking through my AS book or concentrating on the context of this unit.
    tbh i am mostly concentrating on this topic
    the bulk of the questions will be on f215 so that is where the bulk of the marks will be
    i suppose if you are really confident with the topics you could concentrate more on the previous units but i believe we should be alright on the basics from the other modules

good luck!!:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Archen)
    tbh i am mostly concentrating on this topic
    the bulk of the questions will be on f215 so that is where the bulk of the marks will be
    i suppose if you are really confident with the topics you could concentrate more on the previous units but i believe we should be alright on the basics from the other modules

good luck!!:yep:
    I agree, anyway most of the biodiversity stuff is covered in this topic. Might be good to go over a few concepts you find hard to remember, the rest is all pretty nicely tied together though. Remarqable M's post mostly specifies the stuff ive looked over (but not properly learnt :P).

My teacher said, most likely is protein structure and enzymes to come up as its the most clearly linked.

ReputationRep:
    anyone using the sue hocking/heinemann book: are you learning the bit at the bottom of page 115 regarding liver and pregnant women? seeing as OCR looooooooooove asking questions on tiny bits of the book.... thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dopeyangel101)
    anyone using the sue hocking/heinemann book: are you learning the bit at the bottom of page 115 regarding liver and pregnant women? seeing as OCR looooooooooove asking questions on tiny bits of the book.... thanks
    I havent looked at the book so i might be thinking of the wrong page....but by suggesting liver + pregnant women, i think your referring to the vitamin A/retinol/retinoic acid affecting homeobox genes. I think its just worth remembering that it causes activation of homeobox genes as its a mutagen, and activation in different orders which causes mutation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dopeyangel101)
    I think it's always good to keep that kinda stuff in mind as an extra if you can manage, but i very much doubt something as specific as that would come up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikey_g)
    I think it's always good to keep that kinda stuff in mind as an extra if you can manage, but i very much doubt something as specific as that would come up!
    ok thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Archen)
    for ATP:
    ATP is used in muscle contraction to:
    move myosin heads (bend them so the myosin slides over the actin filament)
    break actin-myosin cross bridges
    active transport of Ca2+ ions out of the sacroplasm AFTER muscle contraction
    The ATP is used to actually "un-bend" the myson heads - causing the actin filament to slide along is them reverting to their relaxed position, the movement that requires ATP is the movement in the opposite direction (which the TB refers to as unbending)... It's one of those weird counterintuitive things that took me ages to get!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Falcon91)
    Explain how atherosclerosis occurs, referring to the build up of atheromas :eek:
    Ah damn. But I wouldn't have chosen to go over this anyway, as I cannot see how they would link it to anything for this final unit. Something to do with lipids/tissue building up to form a plaque/atheroma. This blocks lumen of the artery and restricts blood flow, as well as causes hardening of arteries.

Meh...back to this unit I guess. Fail there. :o:

Describe the predator-prey relationship.

ReputationRep:
    I'm scared. :O Why do I feel like this about biology?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    me too. i havent done anything.

ReputationRep:

Errrrrrrrr......predators and prey have a relationship that can be described as somewhat antagonistic. A high prey population (due lots of resources, so lots of reproduction) would cause an increase in the predator population as food availability is high. This, in turn would directly decrease the prey population due to the fact that they're feeding on them lol. The predator population will then decrease as there is a shortage of food. This will allow the prey population to replenish itself and increase again.

I detest this sort of "biology".

ReputationRep:
    completely with you on that one...

ReputationRep:
    Ah damn. But I wouldn't have chosen to go over this anyway, as I cannot see how they would link it to anything for this final unit. Something to do with lipids/tissue building up to form a plaque/atheroma. This blocks lumen of the artery and restricts blood flow, as well as causes hardening of arteries.

Meh...back to this unit I guess. Fail there. :o:

Its fine, im not sure howd they would link it tbh, im just very...worried about this exam because of January, lots of effort wasted there >.> I need to stop complaining bout Jan srsly lol.

Predator-Prey relationships:
    They are interlinked, i.e. as one falls so does the other, this is due to predation which is defined as when one organism eats another organism. (This is also an example as to how ecosystems are dynamic due to interactions between populations and their abiotic factors).

1) As prey population rises, more food for the predators and thus predator population size increases
    2) As predator population rises, more prey eaten and so prey population falls
    3) As predator population falls, prey population increases as less are being eaten
    4)The cycle then repeats again

Not as simple as this though, because there are other factors involved that can be biotic and abiotic. Such as intraspecific and interspecific competition and food availability which can impact upon the population sizes too.

Explain how interspecific competition can impact on pop size and distribution.

ReputationRep:
    I know I'm totally butting in on everyone's questions but eh what the heck....

I don't really get this question...can someone help me a bit?

Explain how interspecific competition can impact on pop size and distribution.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Interspecific competition is the competition for resources (such as prey, space, water availability) between different species. If two species occupy a niche is that is similar, one species will eventually out compete the other, causing the population of the less adapted species to decrease significantly or even become extinct. The species that has outcompeted its competitor is the one deemed more adapted to the environment and is more likely to survive to reproductive age and will have a much larger population than the outcompeted species........

Have I completely missed the point?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2014

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.