Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've never been so worried for a bio exam....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikey_g)
    Okay, im stuck on this (past paper question)
    "Sheep run to empty food container when they hear a tractor engine" - is this operant or classical conditioning?

personally i'd say its classical (running to food container is un/conditioned response, hearing tractor is conditioned stimulus), but the mark scheme says its operant conditioning ('positive reinforcement idea' says the markscheme). helpp!
    I thought so too, but yeah the book says otherwise however you must remember the OCR textbook is exactly...very good lol.

Its definitely classical as they are reacting to the sound after a while. Also there is NO mention at all that they are rewarded and they would NOT be punished for reacting to it, so by all logic (and ignoring the book answer ) its classical lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Falcon91)
    You might want to point out that the genes inserted produce enzymes which convert precursor molecules of beta-carotene, into beta-carotene and they are placed near the operator sequence for Beta-carotene production and so can activate those genes and beta-carotene can be produced.
    Just a heads up, i wouldnt describe Taxis as Tropisms, tropisms only apply to plants growth responses to a directional stimulus.
    Yeah i agree with the explanation, however personally i would also learn the names of the genes, i think it helps when you're writing it.
    Thanks for the advice, i thought they were the same

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help by the way Falcon91 Does anyone know where I can find the answers to the past paper questions on pg 225 from the Mary Jones book?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Just-Some-Guy)
    Yeah i agree with the explanation, however personally i would also learn the names of the genes, i think it helps when you're writing it.
    Thanks for the advice, i thought they were the same
    Yeah one enzyme is phytoene synthetase - this converts precursor moleucles into phytoene, the other enzyme is...crt-1, this converts phytoene into lycopene. And then once the natural enzymes have been activated, they convert lycopene into Beta-Cartotene.

Ah no probs @ plant stuff and your welcome guys. Man im so scared, hence why im spamming up this thread with responses lol, trying to prove to myself i know it.

ReputationRep:
    Ah no probs @ plant stuff and your welcome guys. Man im so scared, hence why im spamming up this thread with responses lol, trying to prove to myself i know it.
    Yeah i think everyones in the same position, theres so much stuff they could ask us on in the specification, plus theres the threat of the synoptic stuff as well.:eek:
    On the plus side i didn't think that the specimen paper was all that difficult, the only questions i found hard were the ones on sustainability and the immobilised enzymes which i revised recently and i think i'm on top of now.
    How did everyone else find it, those that have done it?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i think everyones in the same position, theres so much stuff they could ask us on in the specification, plus theres the threat of the synoptic stuff as well.:eek:
    On the plus side i didn't think that the specimen paper was all that difficult, the only questions i found hard were the ones on sustainability and the immobilised enzymes which i revised recently and i think i'm on top of now.
    Twas not so bad, i did a while back. I should probably do it again to check...ill do it tonight lol. It wasnt bad from what i remember of it, except for the Cystic fibrosis question (involving HCO3- ions) and about the effect of it but my teachers said that it was off syllabus and shouldnt have been asked.

ReputationRep:
    I thought so too, but yeah the book says otherwise however you must remember the OCR textbook is exactly...very good lol.

Its definitely classical as they are reacting to the sound after a while. Also there is NO mention at all that they are rewarded and they would NOT be punished for reacting to it, so by all logic (and ignoring the book answer ) its classical lol.
    haha no, this was in a real exam mark scheme!, and in the examiner report the guy was 'surprised' how many people thought it was classical.

In the last situation, where sheep run to an empty food container when they hear a tractor engine, a surprising number of candidates believed this to be another example of classical conditioning. Nevertheless, many appreciated that this was operant conditioning due to positive reinforcement as sheep ran to the container in anticipation of the reward of food after learning to associate the engine noise with its arrival.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikey_g)
    haha no, this was in a real exam mark scheme!, and in the examiner report the guy was 'surprised' how many people thought it was classical.

In the last situation, where sheep run to an empty food container when they hear a tractor engine, a surprising number of candidates believed this to be another example of classical conditioning. Nevertheless, many appreciated that this was operant conditioning due to positive reinforcement as sheep ran to the container in anticipation of the reward of food after learning to associate the engine noise with its arrival.
    huh, could have sworn id done that question before. But then THERES NO PUNISHMENT, there HAS to be for trial and error learning. At least thats what the OCR book indicates to stick to the definition.
    Ah well i can see the arguement for both, but i would agree with you and all those other candidates lol.

ReputationRep:
    Twas not so bad, i did a while back. I should probably do it again to check...ill do it tonight lol. It wasnt bad from what i remember of it, except for the Cystic fibrosis question (involving HCO3- ions) and about the effect of it but my teachers said that it was off syllabus and shouldnt have been asked.
    An OCR test with an off syallabus question! Who'd have thought:eek3:
    So long as they dont pull another seal on us, i think il be ok; speaking of which have you noticed that they've managed yet again to mention seals in our topic, (if you've got the OCR Heineman book its spread 2.1.4)

ReputationRep:
    I dnt kno what past papers to do becuase they are soo old.....which ones hve a lot on what the new spec has in it???

ReputationRep:
    An OCR test with an off syallabus question! Who'd have thought:eek3:
    So long as they dont pull another seal on us, i think il be ok; speaking of which have you noticed that they've managed yet again to mention seals in our topic, (if you've got the OCR Heineman book its spread 2.1.4)
    Hahaha. My teacher made a mockery of the exam, from EVERY topic exam after that he put in a picture of an animal and made us answer questions on it. Such as a porpoise, a whale and pictures of early developed embryos from different organisms.
    :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

Wtf im going to get the book and check this 2.1.4 now.

ReputationRep:
    Well i am off now, but i will return for my biology fix at some point, if i dont good luck to everyone!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else feel like the stuff in the book doesnt match up with the specimen paper?!?

Not looking forward to this exam!

ReputationRep:
    what are the principles in a woodland management?

ReputationRep:
    You mentioned earlier walking and talking, both are learned behaviours that are somehwat innate and could be argued as having been gained. Human physiology suggests that we are designed to walk, bipedalism is one of our earliest evolutionary adaptaions and is a natural ability that most children develop, and as we are social creatures we have the predispostion to learn language and the vocal ability to express that language through words. However without peers or role models we cannot learn to speak a language, studies on feral children such as Genie have proven this; walking however is more problematic and im not entirely sure, if this came up in an exam i would stick to simpler things:
    Innate: Escape Reflexes, Tropisms (Taxes) or Fixed Action Plans
    Learned: Speech, tool use, and insight learning
    I wouldn't say they are innate at all. Your example holds true for walking as well, I have seen programs in which children have not learned to walk or speak because they have not been subjected to this (there was one of those channel 4 documentaries about a boy who was brought up with chickens or something, I can't remember fully, but he was not able to walk on two feet anyway).

ReputationRep:
    Im quite new to all this, but was looking if i could get the OCR 2010 A2 Jan paper anywhere and saw this post. Anyone that could help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The TSR Star.)
    I've never been so worried for a bio exam....
    me too, my brain feels like its about to explode, so much detail

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chuck111)
    me too, my brain feels like its about to explode, so much detail
    You know our June exam this time last year....did we have to learn the same amount of material? :eek3: Doesn't feel like it :sigh: I'm not going to enjoy uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The TSR Star.)
    You know our June exam this time last year....did we have to learn the same amount of material? :eek3: Doesn't feel like it :sigh: I'm not going to enjoy uni
    that's weird i swear last year feels like more contents worth of learning mmmmmmmmm

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.