Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What does A mean in a mark scheme and ORA?

ReputationRep:
    A means accept, don't know about ORA

Edit: ORA means "or reverse argument" I believe?!
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    TALON? Long time no see !

ReputationRep:
    the way i see it is that the synoptic is going to be linked to the question..its not going to be random...so it can only be stuff like synapses and neurones, ATP maybe, maybe adaptations, i doubt they'd ask anything about like the kidneys and stuff because its just not relevant. Don't panic cos it'll be relevant and we've been learning stuff so close to the synoptic elements they'll ask us on then we probably already know it!!!

EDIT: although in the specimen one i did they randomly bundled global warming which had absolutely no relevance...but the specimens are always shoddily but together. the actual exam will flow i'd imagine

ReputationRep:
    I just looked in the front of the A2 revision guide that accompanies the OCR textbook with the brain on and it's got a table with a column labelled 'Useful AS revision'

For F214:

Module 1 (Com, nerves, hormones) (of F214)

Unit 1 - Module 1 Cell Signalling

Module 2 (Excretion) (of F214)
    Unit 1 - Module 1 Transport across membranes
    Unit 1 - Module 2 Transport in Animals

For F215:

Module 1 (Cellular control/meiosis and variation) of F215

Unit 1 Module 1 Cell division and differentiation
    Unit 2 Module 3 Biodiversity
    Unit 2 Module 3 Classification
    Unit 2 Module 3 Evolution

Module 2 (Cloning, biotech, genomes etc) of F215

Unit 2 Module 1 Nucleic acids
    Unit 2 Module 2 Enzymes

Module 3 (ecosystems, populations and sustainability) of F215
    Unit 2 Module 2 Food Production
    Unit 2 Module 3 Mainting biodiversity - conservation

Module 4 (plants responses, animals behaviour/responses) of F215
    Unit 1 Module 1 Cell signalling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aiden1234)
    the way i see it is that the synoptic is going to be linked to the question..its not going to be random...so it can only be stuff like synapses and neurones, ATP maybe, maybe adaptations, i doubt they'd ask anything about like the kidneys and stuff because its just not relevant. Don't panic cos it'll be relevant and we've been learning stuff so close to the synoptic elements they'll ask us on then we probably already know it!!!

EDIT: although in the specimen one i did they randomly bundled global warming which had absolutely no relevance...but the specimens are always shoddily but together. the actual exam will flow i'd imagine
    I don't remember a random global warming question :confused: :confused:

Erm yeah I agree it will be linked. TBH I've not done any synoptic revision because frankly I don't have time but anyone that does I'd look over the June AS exam content because that seemed very similar... also would be easy to link stuff in ie "role of carrier protein" or something. But they didn't seem to do this in January or in the spec paper so I wouldn't massively panic if, like me, you just don't have time to do this.

ANYWAY does anyone understand dopamine receptors and want to explain it to me? :awesome:

I hate the OCR textbook it's absolutely ***** for biology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nbailey8)
    I just looked in the front of the A2 revision guide that accompanies the OCR textbook with the brain on and it's got a table with a column labelled 'Useful AS revision'

For F214:

Module 1 (Com, nerves, hormones) (of F214)

Unit 1 - Module 1 Cell Signalling

Module 2 (Excretion) (of F214)
    Unit 1 - Module 1 Transport across membranes
    Unit 1 - Module 2 Transport in Animals

For F215:

Module 1 (Cellular control/meiosis and variation) of F215

Unit 1 Module 1 Cell division and differentiation
    Unit 2 Module 3 Biodiversity
    Unit 2 Module 3 Classification
    Unit 2 Module 3 Evolution

Module 2 (Cloning, biotech, genomes etc) of F215

Unit 2 Module 1 Nucleic acids
    Unit 2 Module 2 Enzymes

Module 3 (ecosystems, populations and sustainability) of F215
    Unit 2 Module 2 Food Production
    Unit 2 Module 3 Mainting biodiversity - conservation

Module 4 (plants responses, animals behaviour/responses) of F215
    Unit 1 Module 1 Cell signalling
    LOL YA DEF GOING TO HAPPEN.... so basically everything. lol. Oh dear. Ah well I need an E in this exam to get an A overall......... definitley highly motivated right now

ReputationRep:

THANK YOU!! Just a little bit of confidence restored :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skatealexia)
    TALON? Long time no see !
    Yeah I haven't been on the vet thread in ages and have only just realised how amazing this thread is for quick fire revision!!!

ReputationRep:
    Is it too late to revise?

ReputationRep:
    does this look correct?

vegative propogation is the plants natural method of cloning. When trees have been damaged, suckers appear within 2 months...these use meristematic tissue because it is the least likely to be damaged.

In dutch elms the root suckers appear and form a new circle of elms, known as the clonal patch.

is that it? it doesnt seem that much....

ReputationRep:
    does this look correct?

vegative propogation is the plants natural method of cloning. When trees have been damaged, suckers appear within 2 months...these use meristematic tissue because it is the least likely to be damaged.

In dutch elms the root suckers appear and form a new circle of elms, known as the clonal patch.

is that it? it doesnt seem that much....
    Yh that was what i was thinking it says explain in the spec but theres nothing to explain , more like describe.

ReputationRep:
    how is ATP supply maintained in muscle contraction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clever)
    Maintenance of the ATP supply

3 ways

1) Aerobic Respiration - This produces many ATP (around 30) via Oxidative phosphorylation in the mitochondria of the muscle fibres (on the cristae/stalked particles). This is dependent upon the bloody supply and amount of respiratory substrate (glucose). So it’s used for low-intensity exercise such as Jogging or Walking

2) Anaerobic Respiration - This produces few ATP but very rapidly. However this causes lactate fermentation and this is toxic and builds up in the muscle causing it to fatigue. This is transported away in the blood stimulating increased blood flow to this area (it’s held without affecting pH due to buffers in the blood HCO3- ions). This is used for high intensity exercise such as sprinting. This takes place in the sarcoplasm of a muscle fibre.

3) ATP-Phosphocreatine System - You have a small amount of a substance called Phosphocreatine stored in cells such as muscle fibres. In the sarcoplasm of muscle fibres, as ADP needs to be phosphorylated to form ATP, Phosphocreatine can transfer its phosphate to ADP to form ATP using an enzyme called Creatine Phosphotransferase. This is very rapid but due to only a small amount sotred it can only provide enough energy to allow muscle contraction for 2-4 seconds. So is used for short bursts of vigorous exercise, such as a tennis serve.

I'm not taking credit, it's just something that someone else posted, and it help my revision so I'm just refering you to it. Hope it helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clever)
    Anaerobic respiration
    Aerobic respiration
    and it is also supplied by ATP phosphocreatine which is the addition of phosphate by from creatine phosphate by the action of an enzyme. This is done when ATP is needed quickly

ReputationRep:
    You know for electrophoresis, the last stage is locating the dna, it says you can use a dye to stain the DNA, I was thinking they may ask what dye can you use as a synoptic and in AS module 1 it says that the dye Acetic Orcein is used to stain DNA dark red.. might be useful to know that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InvoluntarySlacker)
    Is it too late to revise?
    Nope. I've learnt 2 modules in 2 days...it is stupid that I only started revising for bio 2 days ago, but it is possible..just stay up all night. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talon19921992)
    Yeah I haven't been on the vet thread in ages and have only just realised how amazing this thread is for quick fire revision!!!
    Hey Talon :P
    i'll see you on Wednesday before bio
    we can panic together.
    have fun guessing who i am now :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ohhai)
    You know for electrophoresis, the last stage is locating the dna, it says you can use a dye to stain the DNA, I was thinking they may ask what dye can you use as a synoptic and in AS module 1 it says that the dye Acetic Orcein is used to stain DNA dark red.. might be useful to know that.

thanks
    also:

The DNA fragments of different lengths are visualized using a fluorescent dye specific for DNA, such as ethidium bromide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ohhai)
    Nope. I've learnt 2 modules in 2 days...it is stupid that I only started revising for bio 2 days ago, but it is possible..just stay up all night. Good luck.
    I do this with all my bio exams. :facepalm: And I choose to do it with the hardest module. :o:

Hopefully I have retained most of what I already learnt. I curse the world cup.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.