Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skatealexia)
    36/40 in the ISA. To answer someones questions.
    Most people in my year scored below 30/40! This is despite most people achieving A grades at AS.

ReputationRep:
    I did so bad in unit 6, woooo
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by _lynx_)
    Most people in my year scored below 30/40! This is despite most people achieving A grades at AS.
    Seriously ? :O. Wow. I hope the grade boundaries get lowered. .

ReputationRep:
    What Case studies if any do people have for Intraspecific Competition?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _lynx_)
    I scored below that seriously thought id done better -.-

ReputationRep:
    can someone explain wheat in terms of artificial cloning? theres a digram in the purple OCR textbook that i just dont understand. but it says we need to understand in the spec..

ReputationRep:
    this has probably been covered a zillion times... but those notes on the spec uploaded the other day have got batch & continous culture the wrong way round x

ReputationRep:
    can someone explain this please:

A tRNA triplet pairs with an exposed codon. NO in replication and NO in transcription
    (confused here? is it because the mRNA is within the ribosome so bases are not 'exposed')

The original DNA molecule is unchanged after the process. YES in replication NO in transcription
    (confused again.. how is the molecule changed in replication? thought the point was it is exactly the same..)

this is from a past paper question
    cellular control pack - question 56 if anyone else has done it :L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beating Around The Bush)
    Heyyy, I don't suppose anyone can help me out with UMS convesion for the A2 pratical? I need to know roughly what 34/40 is in UMS or maybe what it was equivalent to at AS.

Any help would be appreciated guys and girls! : )

as far as i know, u multiply ur marks by 1.5 then subtract 2.... we worked out how to do to get our UMAS mark in class. and so far this seems much more convincing. and also it depends if they will lower the boundary. WHICH HOPEFULLY THEY WILL.... ^_^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Archen)

A tRNA triplet pairs with an exposed codon. NO in replication and NO in transcription
    (confused here? is it because the mRNA is within the ribosome so bases are not 'exposed')

The original DNA molecule is unchanged after the process. YES in replication NO in transcription
    (confused again.. how is the molecule changed in replication? thought the point was it is exactly the same..)

hmmmm..in tRNA it is the ANTICODON that is exposed..therefore NO for both transcription( i am thinking maybe this should be the translation process) and replication

the ORIGINAL DNA molecule is unchanged in REPLICATION
    and in transcription it is CHANGE because the complementary base pairing changes from A-T to A-U... A from template strand, U from the coding strand... therefore the DNA molecule is change.. hope this helps ^_^

ReputationRep:

isnt the first part translation?

ReputationRep:
    people who got like 36 for ISAs got like 29 for this years ISA.

they were harder. I think grade boundaries will be lower as they were quite hard

ReputationRep:
    arghh just finished revising module 2

module 4 to go!!!!!!!

anyone doing an all-nighter??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tricia88)
    hmmmm..in tRNA it is the ANTICODON that is exposed..therefore NO for both transcription( i am thinking maybe this should be the translation process) and replication

the ORIGINAL DNA molecule is unchanged in REPLICATION
    and in transcription it is CHANGE because the complementary base pairing changes from A-T to A-U... A from template strand, U from the coding strand... therefore the DNA molecule is change.. hope this helps ^_^
    well i thought about this thought..
    and it says the tRNA triplet bonds with an exposed codon - i assumed this meant the triplet/anticodon on tRNA bonding to a codon on mRNA not that the triplet on tRNA was exposed..

also - yeh its the ORIGINAL DNA MOLECULE so after mRNA has left the original strand just rejoins by hydrogen bonding so is left unchanged.. (or so i believed)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by george54)
    isnt the first part translation?
    no the question is about DNA replication in interphase of mitosis and transcription in protein synthesis - comparisons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thekooks)
    arghh just finished revising module 2

module 4 to go!!!!!!!

anyone doing an all-nighter??
    Yes me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by majid81)
    Yes me.

when people say all nighter.....how long do they actually last lol?
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lewdav)
    when people say all nighter.....how long do they actually last lol?
    :confused:
    lol well I am planning on staying up til about 3.

ReputationRep:
    is this right about golden rice:

the pys gene from daffodil and the CRT-1 gene from soil bacterium are isolated using restriction enzymes. A plasmid is extracted from agrobacterium tumefaciens and cut open using the same restriction enzyme.

the psy gene, CRT-1 gene and a marker gene are inserted into the plasmid to form a recombinant plasmid.

the recombinant plasmid is inserted into agrobacterium tumefaciens bacteria forming transformed bacteria

rice plant cells are incubated with the transformed agrobacterium tumefaciens bacteria and they inject the genes into the dna of the rice plant cells. This forms transformed rice plant cells.

ReputationRep:
    no the question is about DNA replication in interphase of mitosis and transcription in protein synthesis - comparisons
    tRNA isnt involved in transcription or replication... doesn't that answer your question? it explains the two 'no's in the areas by transcription and replication...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2014

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.