Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    so anyone willing to explain me inbreeding???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nixani)
    so anyone willing to explain me inbreeding???
    An online definiton: The act of mating closely related individuals.The mating of organisms between relatives, which usually decreases heterozygosity in the gene pool and done by selective breeders to produce hybrids.

So basically it's the sexual reproduction between closley related individuals which reduces genetic variation, this could lead to reduced resistance to disease etc.

It is carried out by selective breeders to get desired characteristics in offsprings, such as high milk yield in cows.

Hope that helps explains it for you....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beating Around The Bush)
    An online definiton: The act of mating closely related individuals.The mating of organisms between relatives, which usually decreases heterozygosity in the gene pool and done by selective breeders to produce hybrids.

So basically it's the sexual reproduction between closley related individuals which reduces genetic variation, this could lead to reduced resistance to disease etc.

It is carried out by selective breeders to get desired characteristics in offsprings, such as high milk yield in cows.

ohhh kk thank you:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beating Around The Bush)

Yep thats pretty much it.
    Also another disadvantage is inbreeding depression.

ReputationRep:
    well i can officially say, im ******** myself now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chuck111)
    well i can officially say, im ******** myself now
    Me too. Although your better off, youve revised synoptics fully (whille i know some from memory but not everything) and im SURE you can apply it better than me lmao, im horrid at it.

ReputationRep:
    I've stressed so much I've made myself ill not good!

Do we need to know about Golden Rice?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkerbelle ♥)
    I've stressed so much I've made myself ill not good!

Do we need to know about Golden Rice?!
    Haha, sorry to hear that. im ill too!!!

Just remember that they identified 2 genes
    -1 from daffodil
    -1 from a bacterium

Inserted near the promoter sequence for the natural enzymes to make Beta Carotene.
    The inserted genes produce enzymes that convert precursor molecules into Phytoene (via Phytoene synthetase), then Lycopene (Crt-1) and then natural enzymes are activated and produce Beta carotene.

I think thats all theyd ask.

ReputationRep:
    My prediction of what will be in the exam:
    Epistasis
    Golden Rice
    Galapagos
    Muscles
    Primates
    Behaviour
    Meiosis

gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dopeyangel101)
    Epistasis
    Golden Rice
    Galapagos
    Muscles
    Primates
    Behaviour

I hope you are right (bar epistasis), because that would be a hell of a good exam for me :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dopeyangel101)
    Epistasis
    Golden Rice
    Galapagos
    Muscles
    Primates
    Behaviour

Agreed . Can someone explain to me how epistasis works in a complementary fashion. The book is so confusing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Falcon91)
    Haha, sorry to hear that. im ill too!!!

Just remember that they identified 2 genes
    -1 from daffodil
    -1 from a bacterium

Inserted near the promoter sequence for the natural enzymes to make Beta Carotene.
    The inserted genes produce enzymes that convert precursor molecules into Phytoene (via Phytoene synthetase), then Lycopene (Crt-1) and then natural enzymes are activated and produce Beta carotene.

I think thats all theyd ask.
    Sorry to hear you're not well either lol, it's not nice is it! And I'm sure I'm making it worse by stressing about being ill and the exam :woo:

But thank you very much for the summary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CertifiedAngel)
    Agreed . Can someone explain to me how epistasis works in a complementary fashion. The book is so confusing
    I think complementary gene action - what i interpret of it. It definately produces a 9:7 ratio of the phenotypes.

Where complementary gene action is where one gene produces something like, a melanin pigment which allows the organism to be black instead of white. And then another gene codes for another protein which can convert the black to an agouti colour in rabbits.

The genes have to both work in order for it to be agouti colour, so they work in complementary fashion.

I try to remember it like that but its hard to identify other than the ratios

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Falcon91)
    I think complementary gene action - what i interpret of it. It definitely produces a 9:7 ratio of the phenotypes.

Where complementary gene action is where one gene produces something like, a melanin pigment which allows the organism to be black instead of white. And then another gene codes for another protein which can convert the black to an agouti colour in rabbits.

The genes have to both work in order for it to be agouti colour, so they work in complementary fashion.

I try to remember it like that but its hard to identify other than the ratios
    that sounds pretty much it to me, got my teacher to explain it to me yesterday and i think i've got it.... i hope so at least! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CertifiedAngel)
    Have you got the CGP revision guide? It's quite good for epistasis I need to go through it too. I don't get on well with epistasis lol.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone working through those questions someone uploaded earlier in the thread?

Question 4)b) reads:
    Some species of plant are able to grow on soils that contain very little phosphate, while other species, for example stinging nettles, can only grow well in soils that are rich in phosphate. Each nucleotide in a DNA molecule includes a phosphate group.
    If much of the non-coding DNA can be correctly regarded as functionless ‘junk’, there may be a correlation between the percentage of DNA that is non-coding and the minimum concentration of phosphate ions needed for healthy growth.
    Draw a straight line graph, using the axes in the figure below, to show the correlation that you would predict.

Surely this is trying to suggest that if a higher % of the DNA is Junk then less phosphates are needed than on an organism which less of the % of the DNA is junk? The markscheme for the graph you have to draw suggests the opposite... ???

ReputationRep:
    :hello:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...2#post25825022

Tmw i only have biology and no other exam, can someone tell me the starting time of the exam please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mit321)
    Anyone working through those questions someone uploaded earlier in the thread?

Question 4)b) reads:
    Some species of plant are able to grow on soils that contain very little phosphate, while other species, for example stinging nettles, can only grow well in soils that are rich in phosphate. Each nucleotide in a DNA molecule includes a phosphate group.
    If much of the non-coding DNA can be correctly regarded as functionless ‘junk’, there may be a correlation between the percentage of DNA that is non-coding and the minimum concentration of phosphate ions needed for healthy growth.
    Draw a straight line graph, using the axes in the figure below, to show the correlation that you would predict.

Surely this is trying to suggest that if a higher % of the DNA is Junk then less phosphates are needed than on an organism which less of the % of the DNA is junk? The markscheme for the graph you have to draw suggests the opposite... ???

i was also confused about this question..
    but the mark scheme says the lower % of non-coding the lower % of phosphate ions needed

i THINK this is because if an organisms has a lower % of non-coding then for the same amount of phosphate it will grow MORE (more protein systhesis) that a plant that has more junk, non-coding DNA

yeh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikey_g)
    sucrose can be broken down into glucose which is then used as a respiratory substrate; aerobic respiration which provide energy (ATP) for cellular processes such as cell division, protein synthesis etc etc

when you look at it, mitosis is so goddamn easy in comparison
    differences include: bivalents do not form in mitosis, there's no crossing over of chromatids, no independent assortment of chromosomes, there's only 1 division, and it produces 2 diploid (as well as genetically identical) cells. JILUSDUIJSDIUJSOIUJO goddamn
    thank you for your help

still got to learn meiosis!!!!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.