Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Doesnt any1 else have chem unit 2 the next day??? how stressful is this?!?!?!?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Archen)
    i was also confused about this question..
    but the mark scheme says the lower % of non-coding the lower % of phosphate ions needed

i THINK this is because if an organisms has a lower % of non-coding then for the same amount of phosphate it will grow MORE (more protein systhesis) that a plant that has more junk, non-coding DNA

yeh?
    Yh I would agree with that but the markscheme on the actual paper which I found and on that question pack says:

"straight line sloping up from left to right"

The graph has % of DNA Non-Coding on Y Axis and Minimum Conc of Phosphate Ions on X axis. So Slope left to right suggests that when there is more non coding it needs more phosophate ions than one which has less junk and more "coding" DNA?!? If you presume they have the same amount of bases then surely the one with more junk in theory needs less phosphate ions?

ReputationRep:
    I have my re-sit from Jan on the 25th. anybody else??

counting on getting a good mark on the re-sit cos i have no chance in this exam!

ReputationRep:
    yh join the club!
    i still need to finish mod3 n half of mod2
    n i feel sorry for those ppl who hve c4 day afta chem!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dopeyangel101)
    My prediction of what will be in the exam:
    Epistasis
    Golden Rice
    Galapagos
    Muscles
    Primates
    Behaviour
    Meiosis

gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
    hmmm thats exactly what i was thinking too, as they havent really put any of that into the specimen paper

lets hope were right
    im upset they put transcription + translation into the specimen, I love transcription and translation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chuck111)
    hmmm thats exactly what i was thinking too, as they havent really put any of that into the specimen paper

lets hope were right
    im upset they put transcription + translation into the specimen, I love transcription and translation
    i had literally just gone through the spec paper so thats why i thought i'd post my ideas
    see i hate t&t so i'm quite happy
    i get NMJs now, so again i'm happy
    meiosis is kinda argh atm
    epistasis isnt too bad, just hope they ask good questions :/
    golden rice: hoping my teacher can explain it to me in a mo
    and i need to understand muscles :/

but if it is like that at least i'll be vaguely prepared.... :woo:

ReputationRep:
    hi all, just wondering, if they ask us to do a chi-squared and you find that there is a significant difference between observed and expected i.e a X^2 greater than the critical value. and then they ask us to give reasons for this, what sort of reasons could you put down?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -F-)
    hi all, just wondering, if they ask us to do a chi-squared and you find that there is a significant difference between observed and expected i.e a X^2 greater than the critical value. and then they ask us to give reasons for this, what sort of reasons could you put down?
    i really dont think they would do that tbh....
    it would prove that the null hypothesis was wrong/wouldn't support the hypothesis, and therefore more experimental data is needed. i really cant think of anything other than that :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -F-)
    All you have to know is that it is down to error and chance, theres 05% expected that there is SOME deviation due to chance. That there is a significant difference between the observed and expected ratios, you could put it down to 1) Random mutation of Chromosomes/or DNA 2) Genetic Drift depending on the population size and thats about all they would ask.

On another note...im SO screwed. I know, maybe not as screwed as some people lol, but damn man...i cant learn everything (synoptics) and how is everyone preparing to 'apply' their knowledge? are you guys/gals doing those past paper questions put up by waffles n furthur waffles?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dopeyangel101)
    i really dont think they would do that tbh....
    it would prove that the null hypothesis was wrong/wouldn't support the hypothesis, and therefore more experimental data is needed. i really cant think of anything other than that :/
    im looking at a past exam question right now that asks you to 'explain the discrepancy between actual results and those expected.' where p < 0.001

ReputationRep:
    im so worried about the exam, and the past exam questions dont help because they are based on asking questions on content, i cant find any like the ones in the unit 1 exam

ReputationRep:
    Just read a question about alzhiemers about "tangles and plaques" do we need to know this???????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buyingtheticket)
    Just read a question about alzhiemers about "tangles and plaques" do we need to know this???????
    Wha???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buyingtheticket)
    No - Alzheimers was on the old syllabus, but not on ours :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mit321)

"straight line sloping up from left to right"

The graph has % of DNA Non-Coding on Y Axis and Minimum Conc of Phosphate Ions on X axis. So Slope left to right suggests that when there is more non coding it needs more phosophate ions than one which has less junk and more "coding" DNA?!? If you presume they have the same amount of bases then surely the one with more junk in theory needs less phosphate ions?
    No.. the one with more junk needs more phosphate ions..
    lets say :

plant1 = 80% coding 20% junk

plant2 = 60% coding 40% junk

so if say 100 phosphate ions were available 80% of these would be used in coding strands for plant1 and 20% are wasted
    while in plant2 only 60% would be used and 40% wasted

and as the question is about plant growth.. and more coding = more proteins = more growth
    plants with MORE junk and hence LESS coding strands need more phosphate ions to grow the same amount?

i think this is it.
    or i could be wrong

ReputationRep:
    Someone posted some practice questions on the F215 topics earlier but I can't find them. Can anyone direct me to them please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juman786)
    Doesnt any1 else have chem unit 2 the next day??? how stressful is this?!?!?!?!?
    Yhh i hve chemistry the next day and the day after that i hve c4!!! NICEEEE

ReputationRep:
    (b) Alzheimer’s disease is characterised by several changes in the cerebrum, including ‘tangles’ inside neurones and ‘plaques’ between neurones.
    State what causes
    (i) tangles;
    (ii) plaques.

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHH HHHHHHHHH?????????????? *explodes*

EDIT:just seen what has alreasy been mentioned, thank fart for that *wipes brow dramatically*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma5678)
    I've tried to revise everything but there's just so much and so many figures. Have you done many essays?
    No I haven't any. Only written out like an essay structure in class when our teacher was going through it. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thekooks)
    I have my re-sit from Jan on the 25th. anybody else??

counting on getting a good mark on the re-sit cos i have no chance in this exam!
    Yep moi. I need 100% on the resit basically and even if I get Im gonna need 73% on this to get an A. :afraid:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2014

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.