Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Could some1 tell me the differences between non reproductive and reproductive cloning plz?????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dopeyangel101)
    (b) Alzheimer’s disease is characterised by several changes in the cerebrum, including ‘tangles’ inside neurones and ‘plaques’ between neurones.
    State what causes
    (i) tangles;
    (ii) plaques.

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHH HHHHHHHHH?????????????? *explodes*
    Ca2+ ions -----------> plaque

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingerfish)
    Yhh i hve chemistry the next day and the day after that i hve c4!!! NICEEEE
    yeah, i have chemistry on 17th too. glad its in afternoon, gives me a bit more time to revise in morning. not too worried about it though, as i only need over 50% to get an A overall

but i have to get over 70% on this bio exam to stay in the B category, cause i did ****** on cwk and jan exam.

ReputationRep:
    I know **** all about genes and body plans. I've read it so many times but I just don't understand the purpose of it. So, can someone please tell me everything i needto know about it...

ReputationRep:
    What are people's sleeping plans?? I may go bed about 11:00 and wake up 6:00 so I can get three hours of morning cramming...GAHHHH THIS IS GETTING TENSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -F-)
    yeah, i have chemistry on 17th too. glad its in afternoon, gives me a bit more time to revise in morning. not too worried about it though, as i only need over 50% to get an A overall

but i have to get over 70% on this bio exam to stay in the B category, cause i did ****** on cwk and jan exam.
    NO need 2 worry.....we can do this!!!!!!! We will ace this biology exam!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buyingtheticket)
    What are people's sleeping plans?? I may go bed about 11:00 and wake up 6:00 so I can get three hours of morning cramming...GAHHHH THIS IS GETTING TENSE.
    in bed by 10 tonight, up at 6 if i need the bus aka if its raining, or about quarter to 7 if i cycle to be at school for half 7 ish so i can revise some more :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inzamam99)
    Yep moi. I need 100% on the resit basically and even if I get Im gonna need 73% on this to get an A. :afraid:
    :afraid: Good luck, i need 92/150 which is like 63% BUT i flopped in january and im retaking as well. So depending on how this goes i can ace or slack on the resit. Hopefully the latter if this F215 paper goes well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Falcon91)
    I think complementary gene action - what i interpret of it. It definitely produces a 9:7 ratio of the phenotypes.

Where complementary gene action is where one gene produces something like, a melanin pigment which allows the organism to be black instead of white. And then another gene codes for another protein which can convert the black to an agouti colour in rabbits.

The genes have to both work in order for it to be agouti colour, so they work in complementary fashion.

I try to remember it like that but its hard to identify other than the ratios
    Thanx
    (Original post by Tinkerbelle ♥)
    Have you got the CGP revision guide? It's quite good for epistasis I need to go through it too. I don't get on well with epistasis lol.
    Nope but my other revision guide helped me to understand recessive and dominant epistasis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juman786)
    Doesnt any1 else have chem unit 2 the next day??? how stressful is this?!?!?!?!?
    :yep:

And I had a C3 resit today, which was a complete waste of time (when you take into account the hours spent revising for it) because I don't think I improved on my mark in Jan. :rolleyes:

Ah well, I feel for those who have history on the same day!! Talk about information overload!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ohhai)
    I know **** all about genes and body plans. I've read it so many times but I just don't understand the purpose of it. So, can someone please tell me everything i needto know about it...
    Basically body plans are just a plan of a body that is coded for by genes aka Proteins produced by them.

Homeotic genes are master control genes for development, 4 points:
    1) Maternal effect genes - determine polarity of the embryo
    2) Segmenetation genes - determine the polarity of each segment
    3) Found in clusters called homeobox clusters, these code for proteins which bind furthur along DNA and act as transcription factors (activing or repressing expression) and so control development of the body
    4) Found in many organisms, including animals plants and fungi and so seems to be universal.

Extra point: Vitamin A while child embryo is developing causes activation/repression of certain homeobox genes and thus causes mutations. Hence vitamin A in pregnant women is avoided, vitamin A is called a mutagen due to this. Hope that helps

(Original post by buyingtheticket)
    I plan on not cramming but just reading the whole book. Ive covered module 1 and 2 so far, 3 and 4 to go (which im stronger at, in some points). Then do some questions. Probably going to bed at 10, wake up at 6 and then re-read whole book/revise a bit. Calm down by 8 (doubt it) and then go for the exam.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, new member long time lurker here!

I'm currently preparing for a revision cram (I have OCR chemistry on Thursday afternoon as well :eek3: ) and I just wanted to share with you all a little tactic for revision cramming - I'm drinking Lucozade fuel and focus like a motherhubbard and I'm writing exam questions on revision cards and putting two cards per stair in my house. I'm working up the stairs to a fruit pastille and working down the stairs to a drumstick lolly

Oh and btw I'm revising from CGP's holy books, but anyone else finding the information you learn completely different to the mark schemes?? Argh

For some reason, this has never happened before, but once I learn something new, something learnt drops out of my head

Any other last-minute revision tips?

ReputationRep:
    i used the big book for chem but for bio im just using the revision guide for bio A2, and making sure i word things correctly

anyone else using the cgp revision guide?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _lynx_)
    :yep:

And I had a C3 resit today, which was a complete waste of time (when you take into account the hours spent revising for it) because I don't think I improved on my mark in Jan. :rolleyes:

Ah well, I feel for those who have history on the same day!! Talk about information overload!
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHILLIN-DRAGON)
    They're like my temporary Bibles lol I've been using them since I can remember... Key Stage 2 probably... gosh, remember that... everything was so easy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noodlecookie)
    Hi, new member long time lurker here!

I'm currently preparing for a revision cram (I have OCR chemistry on Thursday afternoon as well :eek3: ) and I just wanted to share with you all a little tactic for revision cramming - I'm drinking Lucozade fuel and focus like a motherhubbard and I'm writing exam questions on revision cards and putting two cards per stair in my house. I'm working up the stairs to a fruit pastille and working down the stairs to a drumstick lolly

Oh and btw I'm revising from CGP's holy books, but anyone else finding the information you learn completely different to the mark schemes?? Argh

For some reason, this has never happened before, but once I learn something new, something learnt drops out of my head

Any other last-minute revision tips?
    :rofl:

I'm mainly working from the main study guide, but for the more complex ideas such as muscle structures, I use the CGP guide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHILLIN-DRAGON)
    i used the big book for chem but for bio im just using the revision guide for bio A2, and making sure i word things correctly

Yes...because I lost my textbook last week D: But at least the CGP has the comedy aspect. "Dogs don't need A2 levels because they already have a 'pe-degree'" AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

ReputationRep:
    I kind of get the principles of epistasis but i get really confused if we were given an example and had to say if it was dominant or recessive.. does anyone have any tips/worked examples?!

ReputationRep:
    In the spec. it says:
    *Distinguish between conservation and preservation.

I have the definition for conservation, maintenance of biodiversity etc. but what is the definition of preservation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blundell91)
    In the spec. it says:
    *Distinguish between conservation and preservation.

I have the definition for conservation, maintenance of biodiversity etc. but what is the definition of preservation?
    Preservation is keeping an ecosystem exactly as it is and not letting anyone use its resources (only exception being scientific research, obviously)
    Conservation is maintaining an ecosystem and keeping it sustainable so that we can meet our demands but so can future generations.

Yay I've learnt something!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.