Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blundell91)
    In the spec. it says:
    *Distinguish between conservation and preservation.

I have the definition for conservation, maintenance of biodiversity etc. but what is the definition of preservation?
    I don't have the textbook definition but conservation involves management e.g. introducing new species/limiting predation, whereas preservation involves leaving things as they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noodlecookie)
    Preservation is keeping an ecosystem exactly as it is and not letting anyone use its resources (only exception being scientific research, obviously)
    Conservation is maintaining an ecosystem and keeping it sustainable so that we can meet our demands but so can future generations.

Yay I've learnt something!
    THANKS! :hi:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buyingtheticket)
    I don't have the textbook definition but conservation involves management e.g. introducing new species/limiting predation, whereas preservation involves leaving things as they are.
    yes thats rite, and preservation leads to succession i think..:curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHILLIN-DRAGON)
    anyone else using the cgp revision guide?
    Me It's saving my life at the moment!

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite pleased. I've done modules 1 and 2 and will only need and quick look over certain things before the exam, and I'm quietly confident with nodule 3 so I'll do about 2 hours on that today.

Best of all it's only 12.30, so there's plenty of time yet.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else find that the past questions relating to animal behaviour and human cognition are much are harder than OCR suggests in its questions and from the spec. It seems to me, excuse the pun, that the past paper questions involve more insight... anyone agree?

ReputationRep:
    Yuch OCR Mechanics disaster! Roll on Biology!!! I really need to ace this now!!!

What animal do you reckon OCR are gonna chuck at us this exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talon19921992)
    Yuch OCR Mechanics disaster! Roll on Biology!!! I really need to ace this now!!!

pigs
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    I hope its cows

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talon19921992)

Galapagos green turtle or Drosophilia fruit fly or something else that triggers my usually-dormant dyslexia

Or they might pull one over us and only mention bacteria ! Oh, OCR, you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conorf199)
    pigs
    The blue boobie bird...hahahaaa...our teacher told us about this bird and i culdnt stop laufing!!! heheeeee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Falcon91)
    Basically body plans are just a plan of a body that is coded for by genes aka Proteins produced by them.

Homeotic genes are master control genes for development, 4 points:
    1) Maternal effect genes - determine polarity of the embryo
    2) Segmenetation genes - determine the polarity of each segment
    3) Found in clusters called homeobox clusters, these code for proteins which bind furthur along DNA and act as transcription factors (activing or repressing expression) and so control development of the body
    4) Found in many organisms, including animals plants and fungi and so seems to be universal.

Extra point: Vitamin A while child embryo is developing causes activation/repression of certain homeobox genes and thus causes mutations. Hence vitamin A in pregnant women is avoided, vitamin A is called a mutagen due to this. Hope that helps

THANK YOU!!!!

ReputationRep:
    any animal that isnt related to biology in anyway shape and form. maybe an alien? or the axolotl for a change?

ReputationRep:
    i'm ******
    arghhhhh

ReputationRep:
    The end of chapter questions are really weird. I just done the questions for module 1 and I got 30/54 = WTF.

:bawling:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ohhai)
    The end of chapter questions are really weird. I just done the questions for module 1 and I got 30/54 = WTF.

OMG tell me about it!!! I think I know something inside out and then I go through those questions and completely flop!! I need an A!!
    I'm avoiding the OCR/Heinmann revision book because of that... hope that decision doesn't come back to bite my arse...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ohhai)

Examination or Practice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noodlecookie)
    OMG tell me about it!!! I think I know something inside out and then I go through those questions and completely flop!! I need an A!!
    I'm avoiding the OCR/Heinmann revision book because of that... hope that decision doesn't come back to bite my arse...!
    Thing is though, I've actually learnt the whole of module 1 by heart, and I still majorly fail. I need an A too... gosh I hope they ask questions that are actually relative to the specification. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blundell91)
    Examination or Practice?
    Practice...
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    So, it draws ominously closer.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.