Turn on thread page Beta

OCR 2010 A2 Biology Unit 2 - Control, Genome and Environment watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    question 1e of the specimen paper is really weird what question is it asking? to me it looks like a statement
    lac operon?? OCR are probably using this to artificially select which students are pedantic to take ages on this question and fail...these people will become future pedantic markers.

ReputationRep:
    I hope and think the grade boundary will be fairly low for this paper as is the first time anybody sitting it.......for the first F212 paper ever sat which was last year, you only needed 65/100 raw marks for an A....so, fingers crossed.....

ReputationRep:
    With using BACS how is the entire genome initially broken into smaller fragments? because I have heard people say mechanically broken/sheared but my book (CGP) says using restriction enzymes...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noodlecookie)
    I think so too, but I'm still dragging my way through the three types of muscle...

I'm planning to get to it before 3pm so I can go over everything until 11pm and continue at 5am... it's going to be a long night!!
    lol, if you see a question you don't like, you probably will pass out in the exam hall........ .....good luck.....:p:

ReputationRep:
    i wonder who wrote this paper. Probably some evil man or woman

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buyingtheticket)
    yep it is split the same way
    (Original post by blundell91)
    YUP

Thanks guys!!! :3

*Calculates* Hmm... 69% for the A assuming my resit doesn't change and UMS doesn't scale. That is do-able. I am pleased.

ReputationRep:
    Can som1 pretty pretty plz tell me what the difference are between reproductive and non reproductive cloning is plzz.....

i kno that non reproductive is when u clone a few cells and that reproductive is cloning the whole organisms...bu what are other differences....????

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on looking through my notes all night too!!!
    2nites gna be a gud night

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DR_X)
    lol, if you see a question you don't like, you probably will pass out in the exam hall........ .....good luck.....:p:
    LOL as much as I'd like to, I'm in the sports hall which has ventilation like Mount Snowdon :puppyeyes:

Thanks, and good luck to you too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingerfish)
    I'm planning on looking through my notes all night too!!!
    2nites gna be a gud night
    lol i think its much better to get a good nights sleep :P
    seeing as the exams in the morning

ReputationRep:
    BTW guys, I just found this out from my teacher. The Heinmann textbook and the CGP OCR-Specific revision guide say different things about the use of ATP in muscle contraction - the book says to move and break the cross bridge, but the revision guide said to break and reset the cross bridge.

Teacher said to move and break, just so you can all know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TX22)
    i wonder who wrote this paper. Probably some evil man or woman
    lol ocr people seem to be so mean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blundell91)
    What you want to do if you're finding them tough is go through the spec. at the top of each page in that chapter. ...If there's little correlation between the specification and the information required in the questions you got wrong then I wouldn't worry too much.
    I take Physics A2 with OCR also and tend to ignore the Practice questions entirely.
    here here, i just follow the spec whether its with the revision book or fat one and do the exam questions. the practice questions are based on the text book, so if theres something thats not in the spec it would cme up in the practise questions

im not even planning on doing any exam questions for bio, doesnt really help since theres going to ask stuff from the info you have learned, so all you can do is learn the info and hope to draw on in when the questions are asked. while physics/chem needs practice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chuck111)
    lol i think its much better to get a good nights sleep :P
    seeing as the exams in the morning
    Hmmmm...yhh maybe I should include a lil bit of sleep...go to bed at lyk 11 and wake up at 4!!!!! Yhh i think i do need 2 sleep!!!!

ReputationRep:
    make sure if they have 7 mark questions or 8 mark questions that you write clearly and logically as they mark on QWC for one mark.

ReputationRep:
    Can som1 pretty pretty plz tell me what the difference are between reproductive and non reproductive cloning is plzz.....

i kno that non reproductive is when u clone a few cells and that reproductive is cloning the whole organisms...bu what are other differences....????
    reproductive: by cloning using cells a complete organism is made from that is genetically identical to another organisms
    -scientists use cloned animals for reasearch as the factor of genetic differences causing variables are eliminated.
    -farmers use it to increase the number of animals with desired characteristics.

non-reproductive: by cloning from cells embryonic stem cells are made that are genetically identical to the organism
    -taken from embryos etc you know the rest, no rejection when making tissues etc

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm...yhh maybe I should include a lil bit of sleep...go to bed at lyk 11 and wake up at 4!!!!! Yhh i think i do need 2 sleep!!!!
    im planning on staying late, if it was something like math or chem i would sleep because thats all about understand, but bio is about knowing the content by heart

ReputationRep:
    yer i think im going to go to bed at 11, then wake up at 6 and go over some key points

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHILLIN-DRAGON)
    reproductive: by cloning using cells a complete organism is made from that is genetically identical to another organisms
    -scientists use cloned animals for reasearch as the factor of genetic differences causing variables are eliminated.
    -farmers use it to increase the number of animals with desired characteristics.

non-reproductive: by cloning from cells embryonic stem cells are made that are genetically identical to the organism
    -taken from embryos etc you know the rest, no rejection when making tissues etc
    Thank You soooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lovehug:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talon19921992)
    With using BACS how is the entire genome initially broken into smaller fragments? because I have heard people say mechanically broken/sheared but my book (CGP) says using restriction enzymes...
    The genome is mapped out to identify which parts of the genome come from where e.g microsatellites
    Genome samples are then mechanically sheared into smaller sections of 100,000 bases. These sections are then places in BACs.
    Hope that helped, even remotely.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2014
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.