Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hii guys could someone explain what we need to know about flowering plants??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dopeyangel101)
    my school sprung most of our ISAs on us the day we were doing them. i walked into the classroom at least 3 times to be told i was doing my coursework there and then. not fun.
    Ouch, that's horrible! We always got given an extremely throrough run-through (it was practically the same experiment and same questions answered for us but with different substances lol).

How did you do in them?

ReputationRep:
    my school sprung most of our ISAs on us the day we were doing them. i walked into the classroom at least 3 times to be told i was doing my coursework there and then. not fun.
    in biology our teachers warned us like a week before, in chem it was literally like OW **** -.- when walking in the classroom to see equipment laid out, considering most schools prepare their students and most probably tell them what its on its not fair on the rest of us

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHILLIN-DRAGON)
    i loved the revision guide you can get 90% with them, this year i used the fat book because there wasnt so much waffle.

doing the specimen should be enough for bio.

btw you prob do this, but if you wanna practice for chem from the revision guide, learn from the revision guide them practice on exam questions form the fat book (btw what grades do you need if you dont mind me asking)
    Yeah, ive done lots of past paper questions for Chem, it seems to be most of the right answers. I need AAB (no offer, but reapplying for dentistry). This summer in my exams i need 63/100 marks in computing for the B, need 63/100 marks (92 UMS) for biology for an A. Need 70% to be SURE for chemistry, as my teacher wont give us our coursework score (she said i was A/B so thats around 36/45...or 72 UMS approx) to get an A for chem. you?

ReputationRep:
    I really think ISA grade boundaries will be lower compared to last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noodlecookie)
    Ouch, that's horrible! We always got given an extremely throrough run-through (it was practically the same experiment and same questions answered for us but with different substances lol).

How did you do in them?
    not great, think i got a c
    hopefully if i get two high b's tomorrow and in the retake i should be ok as i got 90% in Jan AS and close to 90% in the Jan retake of June AS

ReputationRep:
    I dont get why, sister chromatids in a normal somatic cell are identical

ReputationRep:
    I probably should know this, but what will our paper be like synoptic wise?
    I know some boards do a synoptic essay question, but will ours be 'synoptic elements' sort of scattered through the exam, or will there be a question where it's like BAAAAM synoptic?

Very articulate question, I know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    Because they both are copies of the chromosome?

ReputationRep:
    I think there will be synoptic elements scattered through.

ReputationRep:
    not great, think i got a c
    hopefully if i get two high b's tomorrow and in the retake i should be ok as i got 90% in Jan AS and close to 90% in the Jan retake of June AS
    Whoa, 90%, I think you're safe!! Good luck anyway, I'm sure you'll make it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    I think it's because somatic cells divide by mitosis (growth and repair from AS) and mitosis produces genetically identical cells.

I think.
    lol I'm doing great :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by win2kpro)
    Because they both are copies of the chromosome?
    I mean sister chromatids as in 2 of them joined at the centromere, theres one chromatid on one side and one on the other of the centromere, how are they identical when theyve got different genes on them?

im looking at meiosis btw, at prophase1 when crossing over happens

ReputationRep:
    I think it's because somatic cells divide by mitosis (growth and repair from AS) and mitosis produces genetically identical cells.

I think.
    lol I'm doing great :yep:
    could you remind me what happens in mitosis

ReputationRep:
    Whoa, 90%, I think you're safe!! Good luck anyway, I'm sure you'll make it
    glad you think so, i'm really not sure at this rate i'll be lucky to get an E :mad:

ReputationRep:
    i think they might ask the differences between mitosis and meiosis

ReputationRep:
    Question - for neuromuscular junctions, the neurotransmitter acetylcholine (ACh) is broken down by AChE....

... Acetylcholinesterase?

Or did I just make that up?

ReputationRep:
    i really cant wait tillllll this exams over. But i am going to die as chemistry is the next day. after that, i know what i am going to do. go straight to sleep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aylasira)
    I probably should know this, but what will our paper be like synoptic wise?
    I know some boards do a synoptic essay question, but will ours be 'synoptic elements' sort of scattered through the exam, or will there be a question where it's like BAAAAM synoptic?

Very articulate question, I know
    they'll dress up something from A2 with AS stuff for example, they might ask you to compare chromosome numbers in stages of meiosis and mitosis and then go on to ask about the process of meiosis

ReputationRep:
    Question - for neuromuscular junctions, the neurotransmitter acetylcholine (ACh) is broken down by AChE....

... Acetylcholinesterase?

Or did I just make that up?
    no you didnt thats right

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2014
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.