Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TX22)
    for PCR, does anyone remember what temperature it is cooled to. It says between 50 - 65

is it actually
    95- to break hydrogen bonds
    55 when adding the primers
    then up to 72 when dna polymerase added

ReputationRep:
    i feel the more i revise, the less i retain, y'know what i mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thekooks)
    Anybody else only been using Chuck111's notes to revise?

Thank you Chuck111, by the way
    Where are they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A100whoo)
    Where are they?
    check my signature

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else think it's pointless learning the essay type things that have already come up in the specimen paper? I'm tempted to concentrate more on the things that aren't on specimen...Bad idea?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dopeyangel101)
    Use your past papers! I'm revising a topic then doing the past questions on that topic and it's sticking...I think.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that what happens when you try to cram for a subject like Biology. Gahhh! Procrastination always gets me wish I spent time revising earlier from easter.

ReputationRep:
    This biology is going to screw me over.

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear, I just did the end of unit questions from the official revision guide that goes with the official TB and they were so hard!! I swear tons of the things are just too hard and every single one is synoptic / stretch and challenge Plus the answers seem so specific and you have to say exactly the right thing even though I swear some of the time the "right thing" isn't really how we've learnt to say it... has anyone else done them?? Please say I'm not alone in finding them hard!!??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chuck111)
    Latent learning is when an organism retains information about its surroundings so that in times of danger it knows its surroundings (e.g danger from predators)

Operant learniing is when an animal learns to carry out a particular task in order to recieive a reward or punishment for completing that particular task (e.g pressing a button)
    Wow, thanks!

Thats explains it really well - my teacher had always referred to punishment in his latent learning definition :facepalm:

PS: Are you answering all these questions off the top of your head? Because they are really good

ReputationRep:
    GUYSSSSSSSSSS! URGENT 'ELP NEEDED.

For chi squared, do they give us the table of values???? So we can decipher if the difference is significant or not? Because I've seen questions with no table?!?!

ReputationRep:
    I am gonna look over my Jan paper (got it sent back cos I'm resitting) and do u think the questions will be similar to this exam?

Gonna do the rest of module 4 revision til 7pm and then rest!!! til about 10pm lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aimz08)
    Anyone else think it's pointless learning the essay type things that have already come up in the specimen paper? I'm tempted to concentrate more on the things that aren't on specimen...Bad idea?
    i'm not looking at transcription/translation purely because they put a 10 mark question on them in the specimen, so i highyl doubt they do anything like that for our paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valh)
    Wow, thanks!

Thats explains it really well - my teacher had always referred to punishment in his latent learning definition :facepalm:

PS: Are you answering all these questions off the top of your head? Because they are really good
    yer lol
    its kinda like revision for me too answering these questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The TSR Star.)
    GUYSSSSSSSSSS! URGENT 'ELP NEEDED.

For chi squared, do they give us the table of values???? So we can decipher if the difference is significant or not? Because I've seen questions with no table?!?!
    according to the spec, the table will be given

ReputationRep:
    can anyone help, i have a question with no mark scheme

(c) Nitrogenase is an enzyme found in some bacteria that converts nitrogen gas into ammonia in a process known as nitrogen fixation. The enzyme is inactivated when exposed to oxygen. Commercial methods of fixing nitrogen are being developed but whole cells rather than the isolated enzyme are immobilised.
    Suggest advantages of immobilising the whole cell rather than the enzyme.

would you mention that it prevents the enzyme from being inactivated by the air, and its easier to do?????

any help is very much welcomed

ReputationRep:
    i think golden rice will come up for a 7 marker and meiosis for an 8 marker.

ReputationRep:
    according to the spec, the table will be given
    Really? The spec just says the formula.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TX22)
    i think golden rice will come up for a 7 marker and meiosis for an 8 marker.
    For golden rice, is that the agrobacterium tumafaciens shizzle? How do you extract the gene from the daffodils and soil bacteriums though?!?!!?!?!

ReputationRep:
    In terms of plant growth regulators, how much do we have to know about specific hormones.
    I suppose we need to know that:
    Auxin: Promotes cell elongation
    Inhibits leaf abscission
    Inhibits side shoot growth
    Cytokin:Promotes cell division
    Giberillin: Promotes seed germination
    Promotes stem growth
    Abscisic
    Acid: Inhibits germination
    Causes stomatal closure
    Ethene: Promotes fruit ripening.

But the hormones also have interrelationships which cause other things such as Abscisic Acid inhibiting bud growth and cytokinins promoting bud growth.
    Please help I'm really confused as to how much we need to know...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2014

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.