Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When it says the genetic code is a degenerate code. What exactly does degenerate mean?

ReputationRep:
    Do we have to know about contraction in isolated muscles(pg 233-how science works)???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reflex)
    When it says the genetic code is a degenerate code. What exactly does degenerate mean?
    Degenerate means that more than one codon codes for an amino acid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amitpatel44)
    for interspecific and intraspecific competition what are they competing for ? is it food, space, light, water, temperature etccc
    :yep:
    interspecific: competition bEtween members of different species (community)
    Intraspecific: competition between members of the same species (population)
    but im pretty sure they compete for the same thing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reflex)
    Degenerate means that different codons (base sequences) can code for the same amino acid. All but one of the amino acids (exception is the one called methinone or something along those lines) has more than one sequence of bases that code for it meaning that if theres a (point) mutation it might not change the amino acid and hence polypeptide/protein

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mit321)
    Degenerate means that different codons (base sequences) can code for the same amino acid. All but one of the amino acids (exception is the one called methinone or something along those lines) has more than one sequence of bases that code for it meaning that if theres a (point) mutation it might not change the amino acid and hence polypeptide/protein
    and that can result in a silent mutation as there is more than one triplet coding for the amino acid

ReputationRep:
    how do you work out gametes from a parental genotypes in a genetic cross - i knw its summat propa simple, but always forget. And has anyone gt any notes on how to do genetic crosses, i always do em wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student92)
    how do you work out gametes from a parental genotypes in a genetic cross - i knw its summat propa simple, but always forget. And has anyone gt any notes on how to do genetic crosses, i always do em wrong?
    Basically, itll have 2 alleles, example - CrCw, so the gametes are just one of those only. So the gametes COULD be - Cr or Cw, but not both.

And genetic crosses is carry out a punett square:

if both gametes are CrCw, then draw Cr Cw vertically, Cr Cw on the top across and then work out what the offspring can be. I tried doing it on here but it removes my spaces so i cant show u a square properly -.-

There you go - hope that helps btw do you go to PSC?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inzamam99)
    OMG I'am doing the same as well. New Deal wtf, McCarthyism wtf, US economy wtf, Hoover WTF :mad: . How are you getting on? I have got c4 on the 18th as well and I haven't even started revision for that yet.
    Not good! I think i am going to sacrifice my biology grade for history, i think i can do muchmuch better in history as i alreday have an a grade and am pretty confident. But with bio...forget revision im still learning!

ReputationRep:
    in a monohybrid cross e.g. genotype AB...gametes are A and B
    Dihybrid cross if genotype is AaBb gametes could be AB or ab or Ab or aB. its all of the possibilties that can come from the genotype.

dat probably didnt help...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buyingtheticket)
    I did that yesterday and got 22/100 :'( slthough I've learned a bit since then. btw I think one of the questions isn't a question or a command just a statement...
    oh that question no we discussed it with my teacher and it's an actual question believe it or not... you're supposed to describe the lac operon when lactose is present, how stupid, ask it in a bloody question rather than confusing the **** out of people. erghh..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Falcon91)
    Basically, itll have 2 alleles, example - CrCw, so the gametes are just one of those only. So the gametes COULD be - Cr or Cw, but not both.

And genetic crosses is carry out a punett square:

if both gametes are CrCw, then draw Cr Cw vertically, Cr Cw on the top across and then work out what the offspring can be. I tried doing it on here but it removes my spaces so i cant show u a square properly -.-

There you go - hope that helps btw do you go to PSC?
    PSC??? thanks, so when do u get gametes that are only single letters?

ReputationRep:
    if its AaBb then you look at it like this (A+a)(B+b) and multiply out the brackets to get AB Ab aB ab for all possible genotypes.

ReputationRep:
    Get a bit of each letter, e.g. parental genotype is AaBb (the big letter-litle letter combo usually comes up the most because it's the most friggin' complicated one).

Gametes are AB, ab, Ab and aB.

As long as you go through this step-by-step procedure instead of jumping the gun you shouldn't get it wrong:

Write down the genotypes.
    Figure out the gametes.
    Draw out a cross table and work it out, e.g. AB x ab = AaBb
    Figure out each phenotype, e.g. pink wings/dodgy eye; green wings/normal eye
    Tally them up and you get the phenotypic ratio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    Hoping for long answer question on natural and artificial selection and batch/continous culture.
    :eek: natural selection and artificial selection I know shizz about... do you mind explaining them pleasee...

ReputationRep:
    PSC??? thanks, so when do u get gametes that are only single letters?
    Gametes can be single letters, just think about it as Monohybrid crosses but they can be on a certain chromosome, in my example that chromosome was C, however they will always give you an idea whether u need to put the chromosome letter or not in the stem of the question. If not then just use the allele letters e.g. if you have A and B, then write AB. Thats all.
    PSC = Peter Symonds College

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ohhai)
    :eek: natural selection and artificial selection I know shizz about... do you mind explaining them pleasee...
    Do you have the purple OCR book?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thekooks)
    Do we have to know about contraction in isolated muscles(pg 233-how science works)???

Anyone? Need to know if I have to revise this or not. please say no

ReputationRep:
    Outline the steps involved in sequencing the genome of an organism...

What are the steps??

ReputationRep:
    which part of the DNA is negative that causes it to be pulled towards the anode in electrophoresis?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2014
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.