Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    is it H-band or H-zone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The TSR Star.)
    Why? I only got neg rep because I disagreed with surrogacy agreements not being legally binding. I used to have 3 green gems. The fact that I have neg rep makes everyone see my post as worthless. And people, like you, make comments like that.
    No the reason people, like you, have neg rep is because you try and start arguments by being agressive, spamming threads and acting childish

Now back on topic...

Has anyone got any questions on Hardy Weinberg equation-Population Genetics stuff, I think its new cause I haven't come across any past paper topics covering it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Archen)
    is it H-band or H-zone?
    H-band I think? Everything else is a band...

ReputationRep:
    this is hurting my brain.

I cant believe we have to learn all this and it will all be applied. .

THIS is going to be hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHILLIN-DRAGON)
    do we not need to know the specific gene letters for them or just state the process of selective breeding like how you put it
    That's pretty much the absolute basics you can get away with without learning unnecessary waffle. You have to know 2 examples of artificial selection, the other one being aptly named Modern Dairy Cattle (it's like Cow 2.0)

1. Farmers get a ladycow with a very high milk yield and a mancow whose mother has a very high milk yield and they get jiggy with it

2. This is where it gets weird - They select the babycows with the highest milk yields and get them to, er, breed

3. That's continued over several creepy generations to get a very high milk yielding (and very eeww) cow.

ReputationRep:
    is leaf senescence the same as leaf abscission?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talon19921992)
    Not the M-Line... :P
    its H Band though fyi.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reflex)
    LOL and then you trick us all and end up with full ums -_-

OMg how dare you! Me??! Why on Earth would I do that? :eek: :eek: :eek:

but seriously, guys, do pants

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Archen)
    is leaf senescence the same as leaf abscission?
    I think leaf senescence is followed by leaf abscission. Senescence is it ageing/ dying and abscission is the seperation of the petiole from the stem.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain to me "how genetic markers in plasmids can be used to identify the bacteria that have taken up a recombinant plasmid?" It hurts my brain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Falcon91)
    Not the M-Line... :P
    its H Band though fyi.
    I meant A/I/H :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mit321)
    I think leaf senescence is followed by leaf abscission. Senescence is it ageing/ dying and abscission is the seperation of the petiole from the stem.
    ah ha.

now, i am becoming wiser in the ways of plants

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mit321)
    No the reason people, like you, have neg rep is because you try and start arguments by being agressive, spamming threads and acting childish
    No
    I even helped people in this thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TX22)
    this is hurting my brain.

I cant believe we have to learn all this and it will all be applied. .

THIS is going to be hard
    It won't be too bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HotCoco.)
    Can someone explain to me "how genetic markers in plasmids can be used to identify the bacteria that have taken up a recombinant plasmid?" It hurts my brain.
    The ways I know are:

Introducing gene into plasmid which has fluourcesent glow and can be seen under a microscope. Another way would be to introduce an antibiotic resitant gene and then add an antibiotic, the ones that survived have taken up the plasmid. Or you could use a DNA probe possibly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talon19921992)
    Confused now as the book seems to say H-zone :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    Okay flick to the back where the spread answers are and there should be a table showing the differences and similarities of natural and artificial selection, read, memorise, reproduce in exam, full marks.
    Lol, okay cheers...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HotCoco.)
    Genetic markers are the two genes that code for antibiotic resistance. e.g. ampicillin and tetracycline resistance. They are already present in the plasmids. The gene we want to insert e.g. insulin is inserted in the middle of one of these antibiotic resistance genes e.g in the middle of the tetracycline resistance gene. Thus it will not work anymore.

The bacteria that have taken up the recombinant plasmids will not be resistant to tetracycline.

By using replica plating (growing colonies on growth mediums with different antibiotics) you can keep track of which colonies:
    have the recombinant plasmid - will grow in the presence of one antibiotic (ampicillin) and die in another (tetracycline)
    have the plasmid - will grow with both antibiotics
    have no plasmid - will die

ReputationRep:
    I am going through genetics question paper as thats my only weak spot :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blundell91)
    In the spec. it says:

Describe, with the aid of diagrams, the gross structure of the human brain and outline the functions of the cerebrum, cerebellum, hypothalamas and medulla oblongata.

The fact that there are two clauses with two different command words, (describe and outline) leaves it open...
    oh booo :sigh:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2014
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.